Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
He said some, but expect enemies and maybe some QTEs due to enemies.

He said there's some regions, but he can't say how big the area is because he said there was placeholder from the expanded Insomnia we got this year, on top of that he was expecting changes months ago.
I see, I'm fine with a non-destroyed version of the expanded Insomnia Ruins map we got earlier this year, but that's understandable to hear, though things may change. I'm more focused on Episode: Ardyn's story, as well as playing as Ardyn, has Sylva seen any data for Ardyn potentially using his scythe in the DLC in game-play? I wouldn't be surprised if one of the fights with QTEs was Regis, considering he also uses Armiger and depends if we do fight him or not.
Judging by the trailer Ep Ardyn looks to have parts of Insomnia that weren't accessible or part of the playable area in the expanded Insomnia, and they've also added stuff like warping across buildings and such which would include them modelling the buildings more properly. Like the tall building to the in the back left side or even the one he's warping too, I don't recognize ever seeing them even in the expanded Insomnia.

If you notice in some out of bounds videos of Insomnia the buildings on the roofs and around the non playable side has missing collision and in places collision that isn't properly placed at the right height, plus lower texture and lower quality model assets. What we're seeing in Ep Ardyn looks like they've at least properly made the tops and full sides of the buildings and that we'll be scaling them around like we do in Ep Ignis, only with Ardyn's warps instead of a hookshot. In Ch14 insomnia they are mainly just scenery to be seen from the ground level, but in Ep Ardyn the scalable buildings are part of the actual level design, at least that's what I gather based on the snippets we see from the trailer.

Last edited:

NoxFleuret

Chocobo Knight
Feb 17, 2018
Oh wow thanks for the info. I think they said on the livestream that the XIV quest is initiated from within the game as a sidequest, similar to how the Terra Wars one was. There is an XIV event happening soon so I guess if any XV content is going to XIV it'll be announced there.

About Episode Ravus, I don't think it would have been actually that, since they said they were tossing up between doing Episode Aranea, Episdoe Ravus and Episode Nyx, and since Episode Aranea stuff is in the datamine it would mean they decided on that instead of Ravus, wouldn't it?

As I recall it was specifically just Episode "R" or something that was mentioned wasn't it? Here's the thing though, I think that R was for Luna, since even in the datamine they occasionally swith the L's and R's, like it saying COL or GRAD, and Luna would be "Ru" which can be read as both Lu or Ru in katakana, but while it is meant to be "L", it's possible they used "R" as a mistake, which the datamine has already shown it has some typos like that. Though I could be completely wrong about all this.

Well after Ep Ardyn is out I'm sure there will probably be more stuff to datamine, and could potentially find more about the other cancelled DLC in the data.
Yeah, that's what I've seen people talking about. Gotta wait and see I guess.

That's true, and it was saying Episode R, and the mods have said Luna's been called Runafrena in things too. That said, both the mods and Sylva have both come up with that there was something weird with Ravus in general. Sylva's said there were changes, and one of the mods is also the person that was posting cut animation gifs. Something was said like Ravus has been edited to work like a party member partially, but not like Cor or the others, but as a full party member and that it's apparently completely different to him as a guest in Episode Ignis.

So I kinda think since they seem to all come to the same thing, with a few different reasons it does look like they were more likely to do something with Ravus that got cut.

True, true. Gotta wait and see, Sylva said he doesn't expect anything though.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
Judging by the trailer Ep Ardyn looks to have parts of Insomnia that weren't accessible or part of the playable area in the expanded Insomnia, and they've also added stuff like warping across buildings and such which would include them modelling the buildings more properly. Like the tall building to the in the back left side or even the one he's warping too, I don't recognize ever seeing them even in the expanded Insomnia.

If you notice in some out of bounds videos of Insomnia the buildings on the roofs and around the non playable side has missing collision and in places collision that isn't properly placed at the right height, plus lower texture and lower quality model assets. What we're seeing in Ep Ardyn looks like they've at least properly made the tops and full sides of the buildings and that we'll be scaling them around like we do in Ep Ignis, only with Ardyn's warps instead of a hookshot. In Ch14 insomnia they are mainly just scenery to be seen from the ground level, but in Ep Ardyn the scalable buildings are part of the actual level design, at least that's what I gather based on the snippets we see from the trailer.
episode aranea five minute ?

Anime will be inside the game?

Or is this just an expectation?
Please, stop repeating yourself, use google translate if there's something you don't understand.
We can only theorize about what's to come and we will gladly share our opinion but you will not get definitive answers from any of us.
Please, be more selective with your questions and try to search some things on google before expecting us to make that effort.
Meanwhile we will gladly share new information and news. If you like something and want to share your opinion, you're welcome.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
hmmm was it ever explained why ardyn sometimes wears this yyh wing-thing? xD is this just for fashion or does it serve a purpose...for fighting, or something? he had it in the movie only i think..?

NoxFleuret

Chocobo Knight
Feb 17, 2018
hmmm was it ever explained why ardyn sometimes wears this yyh wing-thing? xD is this just for fashion or does it serve a purpose...for fighting, or something? he had it in the movie only i think..?
Iirc Roberto Ferrari said Nomura had Ardyn with a legit wing, he changed the design but Nomura made him have a wing. The thing he has on was the compromise.

And to the other person that keeps repeating:

Episode Aranea has been cancelled, and Sylva already said he expected changes months ago, why he said he didn't want to talk about things repeatedly months ago....

There is going to be no opening five minutes of Episode Aranea now.

Feb 19, 2018
I think it's just a ceremonial fashion accessory. Only time he wore it was during his political dealings between the Niflheim and Lucis kingdoms then it just sorta disappears forever. I imagine that thing is kinda annoying to deal with on a daily basis, like could you imagine going to pick up a glass only to knock it over with the gigantic wing strapped to your arm?

Do you think it's wrong to ask about people's expectations and opinions?
There's nothing wrong with that, we all do it here. I think people are just taking issue with how you do it by repeatedly posting the same thing 2-3 times each. If someone feels like answering then they will but it's no use trying to force people to do so by posting over and over if you don't get a response right away. It just clutters up the thread with spam so just chill with the double and triple posts asking or saying the same exact thing.

Last edited:

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
I think it's just a ceremonial fashion accessory. Only time he wore it was during his political dealings between the Niflheim and Lucis then it just sorta disappears forever. I imagine that thing is kinda annoying to deal with on a daily basis, like could you imagine going to pick up a glass only to knock it over with the gigantic wing strapped to your arm?

There's nothing wrong with that, we all do it here. I think people are just taking issue with how you do it by repeatedly posting the same thing 2-3 times each. If someone feels like answering then they will but it's no use trying to force people to do so by posting over and over if you don't get a response right away. It just clutters up the thread with spam so just chill with the double and triple posts asking or saying the same exact thing.
final fantasy general fashion choices are....questionable xD

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Ferrari said that when he first designed Ardyn in December 2010 and submitted it to Nomura that Nomura rejected it because it was too plain, so Ferrari said he came back 2 weeks later and added some accessories and more detail to his design in January 2011 and then Nomura approved it, and that's been his final design ever since. I think he said the reason he added the wing specifically was because he was just imagining that maybe they could incorporate it into a transformation he has if they were ever to do a transformation for Ardyn. He wears it in the scene in Chapter 13.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
Ferrari said that when he first designed Ardyn in December 2010 and submitted it to Nomura that Nomura rejected it because it was too plain, so Ferrari said he came back 2 weeks later and added some accessories and more detail to his design in January 2011 and then Nomura approved it, and that's been his final design ever since. I think he said the reason he added the wing specifically was because he was just imagining that maybe they could incorporate it into a transformation he has if they were ever to do a transformation for Ardyn. He wears it in the scene in Chapter 13.
Transformation? Into what? One winged angel? hehehe
btw I never understood how designing ff xv characters went. I get the idea that someone had to came up with general designs - like basics of their looks, but I don't get who it was - Nomura or Ferrari? What about clothes? I've seen Ferrari talking about it but I thought that Roen done all of these since 2006?

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Transformation? Into what? One winged angel? hehehe
btw I never understood how designing ff xv characters went. I get the idea that someone had to came up with general designs - like basics of their looks, but I don't get who it was - Nomura or Ferrari? What about clothes? I've seen Ferrari talking about it but I thought that Roen done all of these since 2006?
Nomura did the "main" characters, while Roen did their costume design for any of the characters that Nomura designed. All the characters that Ferrari and Mihara designed included them doing their own costume design. Only Nomura's characters had the Roen outfits.

As far as I know there was 3 character designers attached to the game back when it was Versus, Nomura, Ferrari and Mihara. When it became XV in 2012 they added some more designers like Naora, while Mihara left Versus in 2012 before it became XV to join the FFXIV team.

Based on the official artwork and/or statements we've seen:
Nomura designed Noctis, Ignis, Gladiolus, Regis (prior to them changing his design in 2015), Prompto (though Naora modified his face/hair a bit in 2014), Stella (whom Naora designed Luna based on 2013 Stella's design). The designs we see for them in the 2006-2008 trailer were by Nomura including the placeholder outfits, he only got Roen to be involved in 2008 or so and at the time the only Roen outfits we saw were the black suit Noctis wore and the white dress Stella work at the party.

Though this is unconfirmed to be a Nomura design he most likely was the designer for Cor too since he is wearing Roen clothes, we don't have any official statement on who designed Cor or the 2013/2014 Clarus design either, but since both are also wearing a Roen clothes it's likely they were both was Nomura designs. You can identify the Roen clothes by the use of the Roen skull logo on the clothes they appear on, and on the vest Clarus has you can see a pretty blatant Roen skull which even has the tacky bedazzled look to it that Roen does pretty frequently.

Regarding Roen, like I mentioned above Noctis and Stella we saw their party Roen outfits as far back as 2008, but for the default outfit we first saw Noctis's default Roen outfit actually physically in real life in 2009, then a few months later we saw it for the first time in game in the 2010 footage. In the 2011 footage we then saw Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto and Regis's Roen outfits, which they've all kept till the final game. Regis's Roen outfit is used only in the flashback scene in Chapter 13 to a young Regis, and also as an alternate outfit for Noctis. Stella's Roen party dress was originally going to be used worn by Luna too as seen in early Kingsglaive production material, but they changed that by 2015. We never saw Roen's "default" outfit for Stella, and I'm not sure which outfit in the Ferrari storyboard would have been her default outfit, because she's seen wearing a few different outfits.

Naora designed timeskip Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto, and the kid/teen versions of Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto, Luna/Stella (identical design), and Iris. Though some of those kid/teen versions are only seen in the Brotherhood anime.

Naora became art director when it became XV in 2012 too and mentioned he was also art director for characters, so like I mentioned earlier he modified 2013 Prompto's face/hair to the face/hair we see since 2014 onward, and also modified the 2013 Stella to Luna's design. Those CG face renders from the 2013 trailer as far as I recall were done under him, which is why they redid the Prompto one and also made a Luna and redone Regis one after their designs had changed since the 2013 trailer.

Ferrari designed Ardyn, Aranea, Iris, Cidney, Cid, Verstael, Umbra and Gentiana, though he mentioned that Gentiana's outfit changed from the outfit he originally designed, and that it became a sort of mix between the two outfits for Gentiana he did but he noted it has the same color scheme, he also mentioned Gentiana also had red rimmed glasses. He mentioned that he designed young Regis, Cid and Clarus, we only see them in A Kings's Tale though, and he said that his original Biggs and Wedge design that he made were scrapped in favour of the current Biggs and Wedge design, and probably more commonly known his human Umbra design too which went unused. The Hammerhead symbol on Cidney and Cid's hats also was different to the current symbol. Verstael also appeared to have a sheathed sword that he used as a cane, and his gloves were changed from white to black in the final game.

Mihara designed Ravus and Iedolas, though there was some small changes from his original artwork to their design in the game, like Ravus's hairstyle is slightly different with bangs and also his eyebrows used to be dark brown/black instead of grey like they are now, and his hair was more blonde than the greyish colour it is now. There was a bit of change to his design even in 2013 though since Ravus's hairstyle in Roberto Ferrari's May 2013 storyboard has the same hairstyle as current Ravus rather than the hairstyle in Mihara's original artwork, and Iedolas didn't have a mustache before in the artwork, though in his 2011 Versus CG first appearance he already had his mustache so the change probably occured sometime after Mihara first designed them. Iedolas's actual clothes were changed a bit too sometime after 2014, originally the left side of his robes were black and the right side were white, but they later changed the entire robes to be white. The Insignia with the Tenebrae symbol on Ravus's outfit at the bottom is different too. Despite Ravus wearing a hood in the 2013 trailer, it's actually a separate piece of cloth to his actual outfit and isn't physically connected to his clothes, it's like the hoods you see in Type-0 too.

I think it was the Kingsglaive art director who actually designed Regis's present day outfit with the cloak but I'd need to double check. There's even more designers if you go into the other NPC designs like Dino, Biggs, Wedge, Vyv, Weskham, Talcott, Coctura, Camelia and so on, but I don't remember the name of the people who designed them off the top of my head.

It's unknown who designed the mysterious "SafayRoth/Sapphirus/Safirus" however you spell it that was cut from the game.

Last edited:

NoxFleuret

Chocobo Knight
Feb 17, 2018
he also mentioned Gentiana also had red rimmed glasses. He mentioned that he designed young Regis, Cid and Clarus, we only see them in A Kings's Tale though
Gotta bring it up, there's some of the King's Tale involved staff in the community as fans, and there's been comments made with specific details so not all of it is to Ferrari.

Regis's hairstyle was one of these things that was singled out by one of the artists and animators for a design choice from them.

Also I'm real bad with names, but what was Mihara's full name again?

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
Nomura did the "main" characters, while Roen did their costume design for any of the characters that Nomura designed. All the characters that Ferrari and Mihara designed included them doing their own costume design. Only Nomura's characters had the Roen outfits.

As far as I know there was 3 character designers attached to the game back when it was Versus, Nomura, Ferrari and Mihara. When it became XV in 2012 they added some more designers like Naora, while Mihara left Versus in 2012 before it became XV to join the FFXIV team.

Based on the official artwork and/or statements we've seen:
Nomura designed Noctis, Ignis, Gladiolus, Regis (prior to them changing his design in 2015), Prompto (though Naora modified his face/hair a bit in 2014), Stella (whom Naora designed Luna based on 2013 Stella's design). The designs we see for them in the 2006-2008 trailer were by Nomura including the placeholder outfits, he only got Roen to be involved in 2008 or so and at the time the only Roen outfits we saw were the black suit Noctis wore and the white dress Stella work at the party.

Though this is unconfirmed to be a Nomura design he most likely was the designer for Cor too since he is wearing Roen clothes, we don't have any official statement on who designed Cor or the 2013/2014 Clarus design either, but since both are also wearing a Roen clothes it's likely they were both was Nomura designs. You can identify the Roen clothes by the use of the Roen skull logo on the clothes they appear on, and on the vest Clarus has you can see a pretty blatant Roen skull which even has the tacky bedazzled look to it that Roen does pretty frequently.

Regarding Roen, like I mentioned above Noctis and Stella we saw their party Roen outfits as far back as 2008, but for the default outfit we first saw Noctis's default Roen outfit actually physically in real life in 2009, then a few months later we saw it for the first time in game in the 2010 footage. In the 2011 footage we then saw Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto and Regis's Roen outfits, which they've all kept till the final game. Regis's Roen outfit is used only in the flashback scene in Chapter 13 to a young Regis, and also as an alternate outfit for Noctis. Stella's Roen party dress was originally going to be used worn by Luna too as seen in early Kingsglaive production material, but they changed that by 2015. We never saw Roen's "default" outfit for Stella, and I'm not sure which outfit in the Ferrari storyboard would have been her default outfit, because she's seen wearing a few different outfits.

Naora designed timeskip Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto, and the kid/teen versions of Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto, Luna/Stella (identical design), and Iris. Though some of those kid/teen versions are only seen in the Brotherhood anime.

Naora became art director when it became XV in 2012 too and mentioned he was also art director for characters, so like I mentioned earlier he modified 2013 Prompto's face/hair to the face/hair we see since 2014 onward, and also modified the 2013 Stella to Luna's design. Those CG face renders from the 2013 trailer as far as I recall were done under him, which is why they redid the Prompto one and also made a Luna and redone Regis one after their designs had changed since the 2013 trailer.

Ferrari designed Ardyn, Aranea, Iris, Cidney, Cid, Verstael, Umbra and Gentiana, though he mentioned that Gentiana's outfit changed from the outfit he originally designed, and that it became a sort of mix between the two outfits for Gentiana he did but he noted it has the same color scheme, he also mentioned Gentiana also had red rimmed glasses. He mentioned that he designed young Regis, Cid and Clarus, we only see them in A Kings's Tale though, and he said that his original Biggs and Wedge design that he made were scrapped in favour of the current Biggs and Wedge design, and probably more commonly known his human Umbra design too which went unused. The Hammerhead symbol on Cidney and Cid's hats also was different to the current symbol. Verstael also appeared to have a sheathed sword that he used as a cane, and his gloves were changed from white to black in the final game.

Mihara designed Ravus and Iedolas, though there was some small changes from his original artwork to their design in the game, like Ravus's hairstyle is slightly different with bangs and also his eyebrows used to be dark brown/black instead of grey like they are now, and his hair was more blonde than the greyish colour it is now. There was a bit of change to his design even in 2013 though since Ravus's hairstyle in Roberto Ferrari's May 2013 storyboard has the same hairstyle as current Ravus rather than the hairstyle in Mihara's original artwork, and Iedolas didn't have a mustache before in the artwork, though in his 2011 Versus CG first appearance he already had his mustache so the change probably occured sometime after Mihara first designed them. Iedolas's actual clothes were changed a bit too sometime after 2014, originally the left side of his robes were black and the right side were white, but they later changed the entire robes to be white. The Insignia with the Tenebrae symbol on Ravus's outfit at the bottom is different too. Despite Ravus wearing a hood in the 2013 trailer, it's actually a separate piece of cloth to his actual outfit and isn't physically connected to his clothes, it's like the hoods you see in Type-0 too.

I think it was the Kingsglaive art director who actually designed Regis's present day outfit with the cloak but I'd need to double check. There's even more designers if you go into the other NPC designs like Dino, Biggs, Wedge, Vyv, Weskham, Talcott, Coctura, Camelia and so on, but I don't remember the name of the people who designed them off the top of my head.

It's unknown who designed the mysterious "SafayRoth/Sapphirus/Safirus" however you spell it that was cut from the game.
omg that's what i call a tasty answer! thank you so much, wow you know so much about this stuff! ehh quite complicated! but it took them 10 years tho...im wondering why roen never sold ignis/cor/gladio clothes only noctis and prompto, even tho i think that i've seen them on their instagram. the nice thing is that you can visibliy see that originally they had a lot of crosses (like on prompto's tshirt, in game they are just...squares and lines but it's easy to understand why they changed it) and ignis had a fancy scarf in the pocket of his jacket (they probably scrapped it because it was hard to animate? idk).
tho i'm glad stella's original outfit was changed, these shoes were an abomination:
DSC_4749.jpg

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018

nice, we can actually see that luna is waving at cindy :D ugh, was it already 2 years ot is it soon to be released? also is that a new logo?? crystal??
// okay nevermind i forgot that this doomed stream was made on the day of 2 years anniversary...they probably decided to not show this new logo or stufff...T _ T

Last edited: