Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 19, 2018
Btw the guest composer for Ep Ardyn seems to be Taku Iwasaki, who you may know from JoJo's Bizzare Adventures part 2 anime.
FFXV is a Jojo's referenced confirmed Ardyn = Dio. Anyways that's cool to know, I'm hyped to hear what he's made for the DLC.

Anyways this might be an unpopular opinion but I couldn't give less of a fuck about more summons at this point. they became irrelevant in the endgame anyway and are super finicky in how they operate. They're basically just a neat novelty at this point if you wanna see some pretty effects every once in a while but offer nothing of any real consequence to the gameplay after a certain point. I'd much rather have Episode Ardyn reward us with other ways to play as Noctis like using the Armiger like he does or anything else that would have more of an impact on gameplay than another summon with convoluted prerequisites that just shows up, looks pretty, and then leaves while the enemies shrug off all the fancy particle effects. I'm just so over the summons in this game.

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
FFXV is a Jojo's referenced confirmed Ardyn = Dio. Anyways that's cool to know, I'm hyped to hear what he's made for the DLC.

Anyways this might be an unpopular opinion but I couldn't give less of a fuck about more summons at this point. they became irrelevant in the endgame anyway and are super finicky in how they operate. They're basically just a neat novelty at this point if you wanna see some pretty effects every once in a while but offer nothing of any real consequence to the gameplay after a certain point. I'd much rather have Episode Ardyn reward us with other ways to play as Noctis like using the Armiger like he does or anything else that would have more of an impact on gameplay than another summon with convoluted prerequisites that just shows up, looks pretty, and then leaves while the enemies shrug off all the fancy particle effects. I'm just so over the summons in this game.
I think the only thing we might get if they do decide to include a carry over for Episode Ardyn are those star scourge daggers found in the datamine or some other form of weapon and maybe access to Bahamut summon in Chapter 14/15.

I did notice though that in the trailer the Rouge has a drop item. E. Ardyn might do something similar with the weapons in the FFXIV collab.

Unoder

Yevonite
Feb 20, 2018

Well, Ifrit becomes a party member in this circumstance. If we get a re-incarnated Ifrit in chapter 15 that can join the party on occasion like Luna was supposed too I think that would be pretty awesome. And it would be a shame if Bahamut never became an actual summon, especially considering at one point he was supposed to be.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
personally, i'm not a big fan of "ardyn wiped out everyone's memory 30 years ago so they don't remember how he looks like and that he was the one to attack". that is just too convenient you know :p also they never mention in main game that there was an accident that destroyed insomnia 30 years ago or that citizens got an amnesia. on the other hand i feel that square must have some kind of explanation for that since they decided to show ardyn's attack to be very...open. like him speaking through speakers and showing himself in tv etc.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
ughh one more thing that crossed my mind - there's a scene from gameplay where somnus tell ardyn "that's right kill her" and there's the first oracle lying on the ground...what if it's what ardyn has in mind while killing luna? she holds her hand where luna was stabbed...
(one more thing - was it ever said if luna's a direct descendat of the first oracle or just came from the nox fleuret family? because i smell a plot hole if this girl died before she had a baby)

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
If it's 35 years before ff xv then shouldn't regis be like 15 lol ??? he looks 25 at best
Lmao thats true isnt Regis supposed to be around his fifties in XV?

Yep wiki says 50 lol that would make Regis 15 like you said but look older because of the effects of the ring? :S

also Regis becane king at 26, technically they should feature King Mors or at least refer to Regis as prince.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
So Reddit seems have decided that Somnus is a one-note villain in contrast to Ardyn's faultless savior.

I... don't get it?

Somnus is the same cold pragmatist the Lucii and Astrals have always been. As awful as his methods are, annihilating the Scourge with extreme prejudice is the only option known to work in his time; Ardyn clearly wasn't able to hide the fallout of his alternative solution. Apart from his attitude when he finally confronts Ardyn (which doesn't match his attitude when Ardyn is slain), he comes off less evil than callous to me.

In contrast, Ardyn seems like an idealist who refuses to accept that his idealistic solution is simply never going to work. His intentions are good, but he's completely blind to how counterproductive his attempt to eschew cruelty has become.

That seems like a decent morally-ambiguous conflict to me...?

stolas

Sphere Hunter
Feb 20, 2018
I just realized something. If this is supposed to happen 30 years ago why is Ifrit revived? Ifrit wasn't revived/ under Ardyn's control 11 years prior to the start of the game. How hard is it to keep your lore straight Square? This is why you actually right a full story instead of retconning with each added material that is put out. I'm glad this train wreck is finally over.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
P
I just realized something. If this is supposed to happen 30 years ago why is Ifrit revived? Ifrit wasn't revived/ under Ardyn's control 11 years prior to the start of the game. How hard is it to keep your lore straight Square? This is why you actually right a full story instead of retconning with each added material that is put out. I'm glad this train wreck is finally over.
Theory: Ifrit probably went dormant / got defeated in EP Ardyn events, then revived again by means of starscourge later.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
If it's 35 years before ff xv then shouldn't regis be like 15 lol ??? he looks 25 at best
This may be very silly, but if you add the ten years of the Long Night to it, the dates sort of work. Maybe the press release is counting from that?
I just realized something. If this is supposed to happen 30 years ago why is Ifrit revived? Ifrit wasn't revived/ under Ardyn's control 11 years prior to the start of the game.
Shiva said Ifrit fell to the Starscourge at that time. Not the same as forming a covenant with him, which is what Ardyn seemingly does.

As to continuity... I think the only issue to date is with this unreleased bit of content, as it's been clearly shown in the main game and other DLC packs that the general continuity is sound, it's just people's interpretation or prioritisation in-universe that causes confusion. Sort of like real history; things get lost, suppressed, or just plain forgotten in the grand scheme of things.

personally, i'm not a big fan of "ardyn wiped out everyone's memory 30 years ago so they don't remember how he looks like and that he was the one to attack". that is just too convenient you know :p also they never mention in main game that there was an accident that destroyed insomnia 30 years ago or that citizens got an amnesia. on the other hand i feel that square must have some kind of explanation for that since they decided to show ardyn's attack to be very...open. like him speaking through speakers and showing himself in tv etc.
Oh yes. Well, when you're an absolute monarch at war with a rival nation, wouldn't it be child's play to ensure no-one knew your maximal-times great uncle had orchestrated a single-handed attack on part of the city? Stranger things have happened in fiction and in life.

But, in general, I agree that unless there's some neat story trickery or other such thing, this is likely to be a cool story that completely ruins the overall timeline despite it being canon.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
We probably have 2 time periods with this dlc.
First, Ardyn is awakened and helps Verstael to take control of Ifrit (35 years before the main game). And some years latter, he goes to the Citadel.
It looks like it will take some time for Ardyn to become the swagger piece of shit we love.

Also, Ardyn has magic tricks to look like other people. He probably appears in camera looking as someone else.

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
It's 35 years.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
Idk why they decided to fuck with the timeline again instead of just showing us what was ardyn doing after he took the throne, or with vestrael...they could have skipped the attack thing that is kind of out of nowhere. but i feel that they had pre invasion insomnia ready and wanted to eventually show it lol

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
Idk why they decided to fuck with the timeline again instead of just showing us what was ardyn doing after he took the throne, or with vestrael...they could have skipped the attack thing that is kind of out of nowhere. but i feel that they had pre invasion insomnia ready and wanted to eventually show it lol
Perhaps they wanted to do some sort of spiritual in-game alternative 'prologue' for the game for those who don't want to watch Kingsglaive or for those who didn't like it, but with Ardyn. Personally, I don't care about what they do with the time-line as long as I get more story content in the process, and it's about Ardyn, my favorite Antagonist of all time and someone I wanted to see more or and play as,, but this is just my opinion. I intend to play this at launch, and replay it and the Ardyn anime prologue as the first thing in my FFXV replay at some point in April.