Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Wait wait, there's no ring in the anime prologue because we never assist at the official ceremony, the only one who tried to touch the crystal was Ardyn, but trash jesus was infected...

Wiki:"According to legend, the Ring of the Lucii was bestowed upon the kings of Lucis by the gods. According to the Final Fantasy XV Ultimania, Astrals created the ring of light, and it exists as proof of the rightful successor to the throne".
Neither of those sources say when the Ring was given, though. And, if Bahamut intended one of the brothers to have the Ring for the ceremony, he'd have probably made sure that Aera knew it was necessary. It'd be entirely consistent to retroactively explain that the Ring was given because the initial plan didn't work out.

Anyway... why everyone sees Somnus as a bastard?

Ardyn was certainly a good man, but a miserable dreamer who wanted to save the world... Even knowing he could not be able to save it, because the scourge day after day was consuming him (or maybe he didn't want to accept it)...he acted like a fool dreamer and he was about to endanger the kingdom.

Probably Somnus acted like an asshole at our eyes, but let's not forget that this is EPISODE ARDYN and we see everything from his perspective, they said at the Q&A that Somnus doesn't hate Ardyn, but he was depicted just like a realist and severe king... they both wanted to save the world, but with different methods, they are both good.
I'm not saying that Somnus is a terrible person or that he hates Ardyn. But it seems consistent for someone who's described as a "realist and a severe king" to decide to take the path of self-sufficiency if the gods' plan seemed too slow, and to get himself into big trouble in the process (just like how Ardyn's attempt to help people got him into big trouble).

Valeny7

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 17, 2018
Sardinia, Italy
Neither of those sources say when the Ring was given, though. And, if Bahamut intended one of the brothers to have the Ring for the ceremony, he'd have probably made sure that Aera knew it was necessary. It'd be entirely consistent to retroactively explain that the Ring was given because the initial plan didn't work out.

I'm not saying that Somnus is a terrible person or that he hates Ardyn. But it seems consistent for someone who's described as a "realist and a severe king" to decide to take the path of self-sufficiency if the gods' plan seemed too slow, and to get himself into big trouble in the process (just like how Ardyn's attempt to help people got him into big trouble).

Umh your point of view is interesting.

But there's no evidence about the ring.. we can only guess that the ring was later delivered by Bahamut, or simply spawned when Somnus touched the crystal (?).
That "..exists as proof of the rightful successor to the throne" it also makes me think that the ring could have been delivered just before he died, because It harbors the souls of the past kings of Lucis ( but...It doesn't make sense).

However, about Somnus, I was saying more in general lel because I saw so many triggered for him.

IwakuraLain

PSICOM Soldier
Mar 20, 2018
There is a texture that shows how the ring was given to Somnus(?). In game you can find it on the base of the goddess statues at the Citadel; however, it's clearly from an earlier draft of the story. If they do decide to further explain the ring in Episode Ardyn, I wonder if they'll recycle the old idea or just "forget" that it's there like they did with all the reaper statues that are still scattered around Insomnia.

texture.jpg

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
There is a texture that shows how the ring was give to Somnus(?), it's on the base of the goddess statues at the Citadel; however, it's clearly from an earlier draft of the story. If they do decide to further explain the ring in Episode Ardyn, I wonder if they'll recycle the old idea or just "forget" that it's there like they did with all the reaper statues that are still scattered around Insomnia.

Hmm, it's interesting that the Roman influences were already there.

The most obvious way to modify it to the current lore would be to replace the reaper with Bahamut, though there are enough Messengers that they could easily add in one that looked like a reaper, perhaps as FFXV's take on either Hades or Anima. (Maybe LumiPro can point at KHIII and say, "If they can use realistic skull and crossbones imagery, we should be allowed at least one reaper." ;) )

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I am super late to the party, but man Episode Ardyn looks to be the best Episode yet.

I'm under the impression that Ardyn is going to be using his "morph my appearance into another character the eff shit up" in the DLC, since I can see him collecting ID passes, and the face morphing thing while he was talking on the large announcement TV in the city.

Thoughts on Somnus vs Ardyn?

In the Royal Edition, wasn't he saying something like help put his brother to rest and end his curse? In the anime, he was a complete douchebag. Perhaps he regretted his past douchebaggery and is asking for forgiveness?

Feb 19, 2018
I am super late to the party, but man Episode Ardyn looks to be the best Episode yet.

I'm under the impression that Ardyn is going to be using his "morph my appearance into another character the eff shit up" in the DLC, since I can see him collecting ID passes, and the face morphing thing while he was talking on the large announcement TV in the city.

Thoughts on Somnus vs Ardyn?

In the Royal Edition, wasn't he saying something like help put his brother to rest and end his curse? In the anime, he was a complete douchebag. Perhaps he regretted his past douchebaggery and is asking for forgiveness?
I'm inclined to believe that he realized how much it sucks to be someone else's prisoner for a really long time after Ardyn put him under the influence of the Starscourge for who knows how long. Plus with how the disease warps one's mind he maybe came to understand what his brother had been dealing with this whole time after being infected with it for a bit.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I'm inclined to believe that he realized how much it sucks to be someone else's prisoner for a really long time after Ardyn put him under the influence of the Starscourge for who knows how long. Plus with how the disease warps one's mind he maybe came to understand what his brother had been dealing with this whole time after being infected with it for a bit.
That could be the case. It would make Somnus a more layered character instead of one dimensional.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
Aera saw something. Something serious. I don’t know what Bahamut told her but whatever he told her, she was shaken up tremendously. Maybe it was something she didn't agree with.
Bahamuth: Ardyn is corrupted and will try to destroy the world
Somnus: Don't worry Aera, we will get him and heal his condition. I promise.

But Somnus is no stupid and knows he can't fullfil his promise, neither trust Aera to help. So he acts on his own, winning the respect of Bahamuth.
He gets the ring as simbol of submission, to sacrifice his soul having to rest 2000 years in it like his brother is resting in prison, so he can be there to heal his brother one day.

Feb 19, 2018
Aera saw something. Something serious. I don’t know what Bahamut told her but whatever he told her, she was shaken up tremendously. Maybe it was something she didn't agree with.
I'm really hoping that Episode Ardyn informs us of what she saw cuz the devs must surely realize just what a big can of worms they've opened up by suddenly introducing this vague revelation into the story. Before it was simple and to the point that Ardyn was the first choice but then passed over for Somnus due to the impurities within him but now there's this secret revelation by Bahamut that throws everything into question.

It's not even because of bad writing, they deliberately keep us in the dark with everything in regards to the vision Aera receives. The anime prologue purposefully doesn't let us hear or see what ever Bahamut revealed to Aera, then the conversation between her and Somnus gets cut off rather abruptly, and lastly in the throne room everything happens so fast without any real explanation but there are a ton of visual hints scattered throughout that sequence with the way certain characters react or with what they say. The whole episode is also littered with weird visual effects like scenes with Somnus looking pixelated, blurred, or ridiculously dark. Hell the whole throne room even changes from a closed one to an open one at the end. Anyways I really hope this is just an elaborate way to get us hyped for whatever reveal is waiting within the DLC itself and not the team fucking up the story even further.

Also I just had a thought. We're never told how Ardyn found out about Noctis and that he was the chosen one. What if Bahamut revealed it to him? Bahamut could attack Ardyn and then during the fight maybe he reveals what he told Aera all those centuries ago. This could be what causes Ardyn to stop his attack and pull back in order to wait until Noctis is ready to face him. I could see him making a wager with Bahamut about who would win which would explain why he becomes so obsessed with wanting Noct to reach his full potential.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I'm really hoping that Episode Ardyn informs us of what she saw cuz the devs must surely realize just what a big can of worms they've opened up by suddenly introducing this vague revelation into the story. Before it was simple and to the point that Ardyn was the first choice but then passed over for Somnus due to the impurities within him but now there's this secret revelation by Bahamut that throws everything into question.

It's not even because of bad writing, they deliberately keep us in the dark with everything in regards to the vision Aera receives. The anime prologue purposefully doesn't let us hear or see what ever Bahamut revealed to Aera, then the conversation between her and Somnus gets cut off rather abruptly, and lastly in the throne room everything happens so fast without any real explanation but there are a ton of visual hints scattered throughout that sequence with the way certain characters react or with what they say. The whole episode is also littered with weird visual effects like scenes with Somnus looking pixelated, blurred, or ridiculously dark. Hell the whole throne room even changes from a closed one to an open one at the end. Anyways I really hope this is just an elaborate way to get us hyped for whatever reveal is waiting within the DLC itself and not the team fucking up the story even further.

Also I just had a thought. We're never told how Ardyn found out about Noctis and that he was the chosen one. What if Bahamut revealed it to him? Bahamut could attack Ardyn and then during the fight maybe he reveals what he told Aera all those centuries ago. This could be what causes Ardyn to stop his attack and pull back in order to wait until Noctis is ready to face him. I could see him making a wager with Bahamut about who would win which would explain why he becomes so obsessed with wanting Noct to reach his full potential.
Given that Bahamut clearly makes an appearance in the DLC, it would be quite bizarre to waste the opportunity to tell Ardyn what decision the Astrals had actually made all those years ago. If the same conversation is what causes Ardyn to pull back and wait for Noct, then the most obvious answer to the question of "what was Aera told?" is that Bahamut had revealed the necessity of Noct as Chosen King all those years ago.

As for the visual effects, I think a lot of it might just be a result of quality control issues. The throne room is definitely supposed to be the same open design throughout, but that's often obscured by the camera angles.

Dorothy95

Sphere Hunter
Jan 5, 2018
was it ever said how long this episode is going to be? if it's going to be a bit more expensive then i hope for 3 hours, not 2 like the others... :c

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
was it ever said how long this episode is going to be? if it's going to be a bit more expensive then i hope for 3 hours, not 2 like the others... :c
I don't remember anything being said about the length.

The best way to judge for now might be to consider the number of boss fights -- we've been shown Ifrit, Regis, Somnus, and hints of Bahamut, with the Rogue and Fierce statues as potential minibosses. Offhand, that seems like more boss fights than any of the single-player Episodes.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
So about the Episode Ardyn prologue anime, is there going to be an extended version of that a day before the DLC drops in March? Or did I misinterpret an earlier tweet that was shared in this thread a couple of pages back?

mozzafaralj

SOLDIER Second Class
Apr 12, 2016

FFXV Archipelago 2nd Anniversary Tour in Animate
The opening of the last tourist shop, Hokkaido · Sapporo store began!
The holding period is from February 22 (Fri) to March 3 (Sunday).
We will also hold an event on 3/3 of the last day so please come and visit us.
# FF 15
https://www.animate.co.jp/onlyshop/242040/ ...

【Only shop information】 "FINAL FANTASY.XV 2nd anniversary tour in the archipelago in Animate" Polo held at Animate Sapporo from today!
In addition, at the only shop, I will hand over the participation tickets of 【Development team event】 to be held on March 3 at purchase · reservation 1000 yen or more Polls! # FF 15

【Final Fantasy XV】 Paper's product sample arrived! (Thank you for waiting ) It is a mini size within about 8 x 12 cm so you can always go out together Of course you can use it as a key holder, as a pen or a cover seal, OK! I can take a group photo with a finger puppet ☝️ http://bit.ly/2 XgYVGZ

google translate