Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Whatever else one might say about him, Bahamut certainly cuts an impressive figure! Can you imagine what it would have been like to see a summon like that back in the heyday of CG cutscenes? XD
It would've broken people's minds.

One of the datalogs in the main game say that most of the Divine Messengers were killed in a stand-off with Naglfar during the early days of Lucis (presumably after the Astral War). In Episode Ardyn, Verstael's notes say that most of the Divine Messengers were killed in the Astral War because they sided with Ifrit (this is the JP version; the EN version changed this to say that only Ifrit's own messengers sided with him and died). Some Japanese players have speculated on 2ch that this is actually a hint to something bigger in Dawn of the Future, because it doesn't make sense for the other messengers to rebel against their masters and side with Ifrit. By the time the events of XV take place, there are only like 3 or 4 messengers left, if the other 20 were slain for siding with Ifrit that makes the Astrals even more suspicious imo.

So I'm wondering if this alludes to Ifrit basically being screwed over by Bahamut in a similar way to how Somnus screwed over Ardyn. Did Bahamut manipulate the people of Solheim so they'd turn on Ifrit? Was Bahamut jealous of Ifrit being worshipped by Solheim, and so he wanted to see it destroyed so he could replace it with his own Kingdom, Lucis? Bahamut is the God of War in XV, I could see him being the one who actually started the Astral War and not Ifrit.
In-game, there are only four messengers extant - "Gentiana" (she is a puzzle, but then nearly everything lore-based in this game is), Umbra and Pryna, and Carbunbcle. Garuda was added in a DLC quest.

As to the rest.... Well, there's another localization difference. And since that's dropped in an episode designed to give out lore, I doubt it'd be just window dressing. As seen with Garuda (which seems to be treated as canon of a kind), the messengers didn't necessarily die, but more likely fell into a very deep sleep like the Astrals do until Luna wakes them.

Apr 23, 2018
That scene in the Episode Ardyn prologue anime about the lost ruins didn't lead to anything.
I assumed the ruins were built by Solheim at some point, but that's just conjecture given that they're the only ancient civilisation we have knowledge about in XV. Unless there's an even older civilisation, probably whatever existed before the rise of Solheim and it's technology.

Apr 23, 2018
I think given that there is 24 messengers it's more likely each Astral had 4 messengers serving under them.
I'm surprised they never utilised Odin since he was in the game files and the Big Bang artwork Amano did. I can understand why they might have cut him, since Bahamut is basically the big bad God of War in XV already. Maybe he would've been a messenger like Garuda?

Loganight

Forest Owl
Feb 24, 2018
It doesn't matter which you wanted more, at the end of the day if you thought it would have made more sense for us to get Somnus's outfit for completing Episode Ardyn then I don't think you had very realistic expectations.

As for the Naglfar, perhaps the daemons were working for Ifrit and the messengers that died to it were still on the other Astrals' side? There's some other dialogue to contradict that but hey who knows.

Episode Ardyn is definitely bigger than RE. The underground area is definitely smaller compared to all of the newly opened streets and rooftops. There may be less going on in the city in Episode Ardyn but in terms of explorable area it's at least comparable.

motoleo

Chocobo Knight
Jan 7, 2019
well the opposite is also true, there are many areas in Ep Ardyn you couldnt go to in RE due to the lack of shadow-step.
Yeah but that's just vertically episode Ardyn is just a box.

All the cutscenes with Aera and Somnus I assume exist just to show you where Ardyn's mind is.

Now, he did accidentally turn her into a daemon in that one scene right. And that's why she had to be killed before becoming one. Did he do this by accident or was it subconsciously?

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
One of the datalogs in the main game say that most of the Divine Messengers were killed in a stand-off with Naglfar during the early days of Lucis (presumably after the Astral War). In Episode Ardyn, Verstael's notes say that most of the Divine Messengers were killed in the Astral War because they sided with Ifrit (this is the JP version; the EN version changed this to say that only Ifrit's own messengers sided with him and died). Some Japanese players have speculated on 2ch that this is actually a hint to something bigger in Dawn of the Future, because it doesn't make sense for the other messengers to rebel against their masters and side with Ifrit. By the time the events of XV take place, there are only like 3 or 4 messengers left, if the other 20 were slain for siding with Ifrit that makes the Astrals even more suspicious imo.

So I'm wondering if this alludes to Ifrit basically being screwed over by Bahamut in a similar way to how Somnus screwed over Ardyn. Did Bahamut manipulate the people of Solheim so they'd turn on Ifrit? Was Bahamut jealous of Ifrit being worshipped by Solheim, and so he wanted to see it destroyed so he could replace it with his own Kingdom, Lucis? Bahamut is the God of War in XV, I could see him being the one who actually started the Astral War and not Ifrit.
A slight correction as to the number of Messengers remaining at the time of FFXV: we know of at least five living messengers (Umbra, Pryna, Gentiana, Carbuncle, Avatara) and one "dead"-but-revived messenger (Garuda). Bismark is never said to be a Messenger directly, but he is given sufficient divine mystique to make it a possibility. Episode Ardyn suggests yet another potential living Messenger -- the "Dragon of Taelpar" who Verstael connects with a legend in which Bahamut guarded Somnus with "his dragon at his side." All in all, we could know of up to eight Messengers, seven of whom were alive at the time the game began.

...come to think of it, perhaps the "Dragon of Taelpar" is Enkidu?

Anyway, the idea of Bahamut pulling a Somnus and intentionally manipulating things to make Ifrit go rogue is absolutely out of line with the themes of the game proper, and I would absolutely write such a development off as pure AU if they attempted to foist it on us. >_<

All the cutscenes with Aera and Somnus I assume exist just to show you where Ardyn's mind is.

Now, he did accidentally turn her into a daemon in that one scene right. And that's why she had to be killed before becoming one. Did he do this by accident or was it subconsciously?
Actually, I'm not sure we're meant to see hallucination!Aera as having been accidentally turned into a daemon. Her dialogue makes it sound more like she was cursed by the gods for defying them than that she had somehow become infected.

I'm inclined to think of hallucination!Aera and hallucination!Somnus as two parts of Ardyn himself rather than as true representations of Aera and Somnus. Hallucination!Aera reflects Ardyn the healer, as presented by the Scourge -- she represents Ardyn's suffering, his feeling of being cursed by the gods, his continued willingness for self-sacrifice, and his desire for death, but doing as she asks will leave Ardyn bereft of all of his innate goodness (hence his unwillingness to obey). Hallucination!Somnus, in contrast, reflects Ardyn as Adagium -- there's a reason why his demeanor is almost identical to Ardyn in his cruelest moments in the game. By killing hallucination!Aera, hallucination!Somnus forces the transformation from Prologue Ardyn to game Ardyn.

motoleo

Chocobo Knight
Jan 7, 2019
Episode Ardyn is definitely bigger than RE. The underground area is definitely smaller compared to all of the newly opened streets and rooftops. There may be less going on in the city in Episode Ardyn but in terms of explorable area it's at least comparable.
It's all copy and paste. The quality was really not there, it feels like a cardboard city.

Side note: Whenever I used to play Chapter 12, is it just me or do they make it look like Noctis is about to cry? Is it the lighting? His eyes really sparkle in that level

Last edited:

mozzafaralj

SOLDIER Second Class
Apr 12, 2016
I kind of feel that they will go with this 'modern' stuff again. But I have no idea who the protag will be. Maybe girl again?
right maybe,. you expect to go with more modern stuff than Final Fantasy 15?

Probably none of this maybe final fantasy multiplayer game

Or maybe a game containing story mode and multiplayer mode

Or maybe none of this