Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Do you expect Final Fantasy 16 to be similar to Final Fantasy 15 in general ?
I think SQEX will be taking lessons from the reaction to and development of XV when considering the next mainline FF title. IE; shorter development time (probably by using Luminous as it appears suitable for adjustment to different platforms/settings), no premature announcement, a story that is more in line with earlier entries with its multiple viewpoints and ability to just show rather than partially tell, and possibly a more traditional fantasy setting.

I also hope they try to create a new female lead/main character that won't be eternally compared to Cloud or someone else (Lightning) or dismissed as another damsel-type character by newcomers or outside observers (Garnet/Yuna).

I hope not. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I want 16 to be more in line with VI, IX, XII and the MMOs, less "dark" and use a combat system that is less style and more party control.
Big question with that; will the modern market bear it?

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I hope they keep the diversity in available weapons and verticality in combat, the focus on real-time character interactions, believable dialogue that doesnt sound cringy for the most part, different modes of transportation, and perfect the open-world.

Apr 13, 2018
I hope they keep the diversity in available weapons and verticality in combat, the focus on real-time character interactions, believable dialogue that doesnt sound cringy for the most part, different modes of transportation, and perfect the open-world.
Would love to have summoning system like Episode Ardyn and Type-0 with no time limit.

Big question with that; will the modern market bear it?
It's worth a shot. People also once believed "the market couldn't handle" black superheroes or female superheroes. Now we have one of the former and two of the latter being runaway hits at the box office (we're talking breaking the billion-dollar-mark here) with one of them being the first superhero movie to snatch an Academy Award nomination.

Will it be easy? No, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't even make the effort to try. A well-designed game with an intriguing story built primarily around a fully self-contained single-player experience will still be able to move people, especially if it has a name like Final Fantasy attached to it and has a strong marketing push.

motoleo

Chocobo Knight
Jan 7, 2019
It's worth a shot. People also once believed "the market couldn't handle" black superheroes or female superheroes. Now we have one of the former and two of the latter being runaway hits at the box office (we're talking breaking the billion-dollar-mark here) with one of them being the first superhero movie to snatch an Academy Award nomination.
I always thought that was strange. They really couldn't see how much better if would be if you made superheroes black?

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Same. Ditto on the dialogue, whenever I look back at certain FF titled I can't help but feel that they fall into the "too gamey" side more often than not.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I don’t think FF16 is coming anytime soon. Mid 2020’s at the earliest if I had to guess.
That would be really late if it's CBU3's project, since it's supposedly just completed pre-production. Three years should be sufficient for full production unless they run into serious issues, which would put us closer to 2022 than 2025.

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
I love the setting in FFXV too. It's actually the best in my opinion.
Shame that we probably never experience the insomnia invasion or the altissia battle and many more.

Therefore I just hope SE will not show something in the future game trailers which will actually never be in the final game.
It's just so frustrating to see these cool features and than in the actual game it is not there.

I don't want to see that again, it just...hurts.

mozzafaralj

SOLDIER Second Class
Apr 12, 2016
I love the setting in FFXV too. It's actually the best in my opinion.
Shame that we probably never experience the insomnia invasion or the altissia battle and many more.

Therefore I just hope SE will not show something in the future game trailers which will actually never be in the final game.
It's just so frustrating to see these cool features and than in the actual game it is not there.

I don't want to see that again, it just...hurts.
you right, it because it may cause frustration for some

Apr 23, 2018
Do you expect Final Fantasy 16 to be similar to Final Fantasy 15 in general ?
I don't know what they could do for the next game to make the worldbuilding really fresh, maybe create a world that's more bizarre/other-dimensional and alien in nature as opposed to something based on realism, fantasy or sci-fi alone. Maybe a world that takes inspiration from Planescape, End of Eternity or Gravity Rush?

We've already had so many flavors of fantasy, I personally would've liked something more eastern like the Type-0 sequel but then XIV has already kind of done that with Stormblood now, and so many games are capitalizing on the feudal Japan setting too, with Tsushima and Nioh 2 on the horizon. XII was inspired by the middle-east, VII was cyberpunk, XIII was more sci-fi. They could be really brave and make XVI a space opera but it'd probably stop feeling like FF and more like Phantasy Star/Rogue Galaxy instead. Maybe post-apocalypse? Mad Moogle Fury Road? Or a really gothic setting like Souls?

You have to be careful to walk the line between something that breathes new life into the series and something that doesn't feel like Final Fantasy at all, but it'd be easy to mess up and I don't know it Square is going to take that risk. In terms of gameplay, I'd be happy with an action-RPG if it plays like Kingdom Hearts, as Versus XIII was originally. Or just go back to turn-based, I'd be fine with something more dynamic like Persona 5's combat.

I kind of feel that they will go with this 'modern' stuff again. But I have no idea who the protag will be. Maybe girl again?
I think XIV will be going strong for years, but since it's so heavily rooted in the medieval fantasy side of things, I don't think bringing the mainline games back a "traditional" fantasy setting is right call unless they base it on something other than medieval europe again. I guess they could go gritty and do something like Vagrant Story, but I don't think they'd want that in a mainline title, we know Versus XIII was made more audience-friendly when it became XV.

And a female lead would be fine, but I think the next best decision is to have a cast with multiple protagonists/ensemble like FFVI. Maybe choose between 2 characters? Not an Octopath sized cast but something a little different like what Tales of Xillia did where you choose a male or female protagonist and get slightly different stories and perspectives, like starting the game in a different town.

We've already had so many flavors of fantasy, I personally would've liked something more eastern like the Type-0 sequel but then XIV has already kind of done that with Stormblood now, and so many games are capitalizing on the feudal Japan setting too, with Tsushima and Nioh 2 on the horizon. XII was inspired by the middle-east, VII was cyberpunk, XIII was more sci-fi. They could be really brave and make XVI a space opera but it'd probably stop feeling like FF and more like Phantasy Star/Rogue Galaxy instead. Maybe post-apocalypse? Mad Moogle Fury Road? Or a really gothic setting like Souls?
I think the right call is come back to "medieval fantasy" because FFXIV is a MMORPG and most people didn't played it and you can't really develop It's full potential because of the limitations implied in a MMORPG (in graphics, narrative and gameplay).

Looking only to "recent" offline titles, we had a lot of titles in modern/futuristic and few in Medieval Fantasy - only FFIX (PS1 era) and FFXII (PS2 era) against FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFXIII and FFXV in modern / futuristic themes.

I can totally see they going back to this aesthetic in Final Fantasy XVI paying homage to the "Classic Era" titles. I hope it's the game being developed in the 3rd Division by Naoki Yoshida.

Something to look forward:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
FFXIV is better written than many single-player FFs, being in general much more storybased than other MMOs.

the only limitations are set up by the talents of each writer, the pacing of a MMO is always going to be different though, and of course presentation wont get as far as AAA titles go, save for CGs.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
FFXIV is better written than many single-player FFs, being in general much more storybased than other MMOs.

the only limitations are set up by the talents of each writer, the pacing of a MMO is always going to be different though, and of course presentation wont get as far as AAA titles go, save for CGs.
Pacing and presentation are pretty big issues. And, honestly, I'd argue that there's a generation and a half gap between the presentation of FFXIV and FFXV -- we've never had a medieval FF with a narrative presentation that couldn't have been mostly replicated by a PS2, which is legitimately frustrating.

(And that's counting Ivalice as a medieval setting rather than a more magic-driven Star Wars, which is arguable.)

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Pacing and presentation are pretty big issues. And, honestly, I'd argue that there's a generation and a half gap between the presentation of FFXIV and FFXV -- we've never had a medieval FF with a narrative presentation that couldn't have been mostly replicated by a PS2, which is legitimately frustrating.

(And that's counting Ivalice as a medieval setting rather than a more magic-driven Star Wars, which is arguable.)
they can be big issues in single-player games as well, see the rushed setpieces of FFXV, which also suffered in general from mixed presentation despite being technically a "generation" above.

no-AAA or older games can have powerful narratives and scenes even if their graphics/animations arent as great, thats why we still cherish them.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
they can be big issues in single-player games as well, see the rushed setpieces of FFXV, which also suffered in general from mixed presentation despite being technically a "generation" above.

no-AAA or older games can have powerful narratives and scenes even if their graphics/animations arent as great, thats why we still cherish them.
I guess the difference is ambition.

FFXV's mixed presentation was a matter of its ambition outstripping what the engine was able to produce at the time of the original release... but while the setpieces were a bit janky, they were still clearly the sort of thing that wouldn't have been possible on PS2. FFXIV, in contrast, can't even attempt that sort of ambition due to its nature as an MMO.

I agree with most of you said and I think FFXIV has one of the best storylines in the franchise.
What I was talking is just the fact that it's a MMO, It's multiplayer and like you said - the presentation and pacing is really different.

The fact it's a multiplayer game makes it works different from a single player only game. The character progression, the mechanics in gameplay and the "quest driven" storyline are far different from a single-player AAA game.

I wanna see a world like Eorzea but in an AAA single-player game.