Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Feb 19, 2018
I like to imagine Aranea's story still happened which would explain why she was absent for the final fight. My personal head canon now for the main timeline is that while the bros and Cor retook Insomnia, Aranea and her adoptive daughter retook Niflheim alongside Iris, and once the dawn was restored Aranea and Iris helped this new girl re-establish Niflheim while the bros re-established Insomnia with Cor.

Lord_Ham_Mork

SOLDIER Second Class
Feb 23, 2018
I wonder what Episode Noctis would be about.
What we have leaked is a change that only effects cinematics.
Maybe there's a part of the story that could have been canon without changing the original.
By now, I don't really like the take of this alternate finale.

May 15, 2018
I remember reading in an interview that they'd learned their lesson about storytelling, and won't be trying out the XV experiment (sticking to a single POV at the expense of all else) again. They're also not trying to build engine technology alongside an extremely ambitious game with six years of toxic baggage clinging to it. Yet.
Did they learn the lesson of respecting the work of the original creator of the game? (What I mean is FFXII & Matsuno, FFXV & Nomura/Nojima etc.)

May 15, 2018
Allow me to be the first to say that I am so glad that none of this is real canon. >_<

The idea of Ardyn taking Noct's place as the sacrifice and surviving because of who he is is a perfectly legitimate "what if?" in my mind. That Ardyn can't bring himself to do that is the ultimate tragedy, and the scene as translated is effective and has some really interesting implications for the canon. (If it's that painful for Ardyn... poor Noct!)

HOWEVER!

The idea that Bahamut wants to annihilate humanity is such utter garbage that I consider the cancellation of the entire set of DLCs to be worth its excision from anything even remotely resembling main canon. It might not be as hilarious as FFX-2.5's sex aeons and exploding Tidus, but it shows an essentially equivalent disregard for the game as it originally existed.

The most obvious problem, of course, is this: if Bahamut wanted humanity annihilated, why was there a Chosen King at all?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?

With regards to Iedolas, the revelation regarding him is far less upsetting, but... seriously, another dead wife motivation? =/

Interesting!

My initial reaction to the artwork of the older girl was that the way she dressed didn't really look like it belonged in the game proper, but that I could sort of see her outfit working in Comrades. If the girl is just an heir to the Empire that Aranea raised and doesn't have some secret hidden powers relating to the DotF nonsense, I'd be down with her existing in canon.

But it IS cannon, if it`s in DotF, isn`t it? It`s an alternative scenario, which is STILL cannon. Just like in, let`s say, chrono cross, both timelines in which Serge is dead and alive are true and cannon.

The real question is, even if Bahamut`s intention WAS to get rid of humanity, why was that? Was it something that happened during the Solheim war that make him wish such thing? This is still a huge hole in the plot. We know that he is not the highest being in FFXV (the Goddess most likely is). What we should learn by now from playing FFXV, is that you should always try to understand the villain, as there`s almost guaranteed some heartbreaking story behind how he acts.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Did they learn the lesson of respecting the work of the original creator of the game? (What I mean is FFXII & Matsuno, FFXV & Nomura/Nojima etc.)
Seeing as the games main focal point was always a roadtrip focussing on the brotherhood bonds between the 4 bros, I'd say they already did. Even Shimomura said that the main story theme of XV is unchanged since Versus, and if you've ever worked in any creative field you'd you know things change all the time in preproduction, even things from Versus were changed each time we saw it/heard about it and from Versus to XV under Nomura too.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018
Seeing as the games main focal point was always a roadtrip focussing on the brotherhood bonds between the 4 bros, I'd say they already did. Even Shimomura said that the main story theme of XV is unchanged since Versus, and if you've ever worked in any creative field you'd you know things change all the time in preproduction, even things from Versus were changed each time we saw it/heard about it and from Versus to XV under Nomura too.
Sure, but was that all that the game was to be? It`s like saying FFXII is a story about princess reclaiming her throne. It`s not false, but the story is so much more. And I believe it was to be EVEN more.
We won`t know how Nomura feels about being shoved away from the project, I`m sure there`s a lot of NDAs and agreements made for him and other workers to not talk shit etc.
All I can tell, is that personally I would feel very shitty knowing characters that I`ve created/developed are now being used in context that I never intended them being used for, including being face of a cash-grab mobile game having nothing to do with the lore or whatever FF-related (The New Empire).
Disney is very protective of their characters, I think, partially because of the respect they feel they need to bear before the original creators of Mickey, Donald, Goofy etc.
Anyways, we finally got the DLCs and all, but it`s just something I noticed as a bad habit in SE, especially lately. (This includes the lousy port of Chrono Trigger on Steam, "controversial" Seiken Densetsu remake, etc. Not treating the games as piece of art themselves, but as only a mean to make profit.)

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Sure, but was that all that the game was to be? It`s like saying FFXII is a story about princess reclaiming her throne. It`s not false, but the story is so much more. And I believe it was to be EVEN more.
We won`t know how Nomura feels about being shoved away from the project, I`m sure there`s a lot of NDAs and agreements made for him and other workers to not talk shit etc.
All I can tell, is that personally I would feel very shitty knowing characters that I`ve created/developed are now being used in context that I never intended them being used for, including being face of a cash-grab mobile game having nothing to do with the lore or whatever FF-related (The New Empire).
Disney is very protective of their characters, I think, partially because of the respect they feel they need to bear before the original creators of Mickey, Donald, Goofy etc.
Anyways, we finally got the DLCs and all, but it`s just something I noticed as a bad habit in SE, especially lately. (This includes the lousy port of Chrono Trigger on Steam, "controversial" Seiken Densetsu remake, etc. Not treating the games as piece of art themselves, but as only a mean to make profit.)
What it was "supposed" to be and what it actually was are two different things, and what it was was a cancelled concept of a game because that is all it amounted to before being repurposed for XV, and FF characters had been used in non game advertisements for well over a decade, it's hardly something new to FF or something you should try and feel offended for on behalf of what you think the creators are feeling. For all you know he feels the same way about it as Yoko Taro does about 2B being used in a ton of things, which he said was as long as they get paid he's fine with 2B being put in anything.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
But it IS cannon, if it`s in DotF, isn`t it? It`s an alternative scenario, which is STILL cannon. Just like in, let`s say, chrono cross, both timelines in which Serge is dead and alive are true and cannon.
If it's canon at all, it's canon in such a trivial sense that it can no longer impinge upon primary canon. I mean, to use the Omen trailer as an example, does anyone really insist that anything that happens there makes demands on our understanding of Noct in canon? No -- and DotF is in the same category.

Anyway, I found a few more excerpts on Tumblr, which I could not possibly feel differently about.

https://autumnstwilight.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F184453133948
This exchange between Somnus and Ardyn is fantastic and makes it clear that the difference between them is meant to reflect the difference between progressivism and conservatism at their furthest extremes. I love it.

In contrast, this lore retcon about Bahamut?

https://higharollakockamamie.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F184454258347
Sheesh. -_-

FFChocobo18

Warrior of Light
Jan 9, 2017
If it's canon at all, it's canon in such a trivial sense that it can no longer impinge upon primary canon. I mean, to use the Omen trailer as an example, does anyone really insist that anything that happens there makes demands on our understanding of Noct in canon? No -- and DotF is in the same category.

Anyway, I found a few more excerpts on Tumblr, which I could not possibly feel differently about.

This exchange between Somnus and Ardyn is fantastic and makes it clear that the difference between them is meant to reflect the difference between progressivism and conservatism at their furthest extremes. I love it.

Sheesh. -_-
Bahamut had a human face behind his mask, and it sems Dawn of The Future took advantage of that.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016

Sheesh. -_-
Interesting appendix to this. I did some searching out of curiosity. And it turns out that Bahamut has a face model, and it's very interesting. There's other examples that I found but it's basically extracted from the model back in june last year from the WIndows Edition, well before anything could've been developed for Ep Noctis.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Not sure how much is canon or not, definitely the different choices leading to different outcomes are not canon to the true storyline but what about the lore details, like Ardyn being immortal because his soul is inside the crystal?

Bahamut with human features was already implied in the main game, with his depiction in the Cosmogony and his eyes.

Last edited: