Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
This might be just a sort of building-up momentum for the novel's release OR for a PS5 edition reveal lol
Or, best case scenario, both, but I doubt it.
Normally I'd say a book isn't worth that, but Japanese companies have done much more for much less.

Technically, the rose window of a cathedral is a more a symbol of eternity than of mourning. ;)
Thanks for the correction. I've always associated places like churches and cathedrals with death, so I got a little cross-wired with my imagery.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Thanks for the correction. I've always associated places like churches and cathedrals with death, so I got a little cross-wired with my imagery.
You're not actually incorrect to make that assumption, either. ;) The trick is that the imagery of a cathedral reflects both death (most notably in the ubiquitous altar crucifix and the Stations of the Cross on the walls) and resurrection into eternity. Rose windows in particular tend to have associations related to time and eternity.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I’m lifting my hands up in praise and worship @2:30

That's a nice rendition of Somnus... And I'm not imagining it, this is rather a lot of arrangements to put out for a four-year-old game, at this time of the year, alongside all those tweets...
You're not actually incorrect to make that assumption, either. ;) The trick is that the imagery of a cathedral reflects both death (most notably in the ubiquitous altar crucifix and the Stations of the Cross on the walls) and resurrection into eternity. Rose windows in particular tend to have associations related to time and eternity.
Guess that's so. Doing some research, the moon also has dual symbolism attached to it. It can stand for transience and change, and it's also been associated with eternity and rebirth.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Have my ebook copy of DotF, got it on a whim. On the whole, an enjoyable read, and they way they phrase it doesn't break the canon too much in my view. But definitely not for outsiders, and more than a little repetitive. Translation, original work, who can say which. Also, the fight scenes really don't scan well.

Some of the most interesting stuff is from the Concept and Illustration chapter at the back.
*Luna's "Sovereign of the Scourge" form, the image where she looks like the logo, is actually a scrapped piece from the game's early planning. She was going to appear during Noctis's final battle and grant him aid in that form with a massive magical attack. They kept it in mind when creating the finale for DotF, and it was to be the key art.
*Aranea's DLC would've had us exploring Gralea, including the top of Zegnautus Keep.
*Luna's starscourge abilities were there from the DLC's draft stage.
*The motorbike journey with Luna and Sol was meant to deliberately parallel that of Noctis and his all-male entourage. An all-female camaraderie by contrast against it.
*Solara's artificial arm in concept art was never planned for the DLC or what came into the book, it's an earlier draft.
*The two pictures of Ardyn's funeral were just concepts to get the team's imagination going, as were a lot of the illustrations.
*The real-time looking artwork of the four DotF protagonists standing together was unusual, but also fitted in with the team's wish of the four standing together against a common foe. Also, it ended up mirroring the typical Japanese RPG party makeup; prince, princess, dragoon and stranger. An early proposal was that the player swap between the four during the final battle.
*The art of Noctis, Luna, their children, friends, and Ardyn together at a picnic was similarly meant to stimulate ending ideas from the team, and to tease the fans.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Have my ebook copy of DotF, got it on a whim. On the whole, an enjoyable read, and they way they phrase it doesn't break the canon too much in my view. But definitely not for outsiders, and more than a little repetitive. Translation, original work, who can say which. Also, the fight scenes really don't scan well.

Some of the most interesting stuff is from the Concept and Illustration chapter at the back.
*Luna's "Sovereign of the Scourge" form, the image where she looks like the logo, is actually a scrapped piece from the game's early planning. She was going to appear during Noctis's final battle and grant him aid in that form with a massive magical attack. They kept it in mind when creating the finale for DotF, and it was to be the key art.
*Aranea's DLC would've had us exploring Zegnautus Keep.
*The motorbike journey with Luna and Sol was meant to deliberately parallel that of Noctis and his all-male entourage. An all-female camaraderie by contrast against it.
*Solara's artificial arm in concept art was never planned for the DLC or what came into the book, it's an earlier draft.
*The two pictures of Ardyn's funeral were just concepts to get the team's imagination going, as were a lot of the illustrations.
*The real-time looking artwork of the four DotF protagonists standing together was unusual, but also fitted in with the team's wish of the four standing together against a common foe. Also, it ended up mirroring the typical Japanese RPG party makeup; prince, princess, dragoon and stranger. An early proposal was that the player swap between the four during the final battle.
*The art of Noctis, Luna, their children, friends, and Ardyn together at a picnic was similarly meant to stimulate ending ideas from the team, and to tease the fans.
Tbh exploring Zegnautus again would be boring as hell, considering we already spend a good amount of time there in the main game.

It would be really dissapointing to not be able to explore Gralea.

A lot of interesting details, otherwise.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016

*Aranea's DLC would've had us exploring Zegnautus Keep.
  • The original concept for Luna's logo-inspired form is so much better than what they did in DotF... I actually kind of think it'd have been cool to include in Dawn of the Future.
  • Given that both Chapter 13 and Verse 2 took place in Zegnautus Keep, I feel like going back there for most of Aranea's DLC would have been overkill. I was hoping it would focus more on the outside of the Keep and the Tenebrae setpiece, but I guess reusing Zegnautus Keep is a lot cheaper.
  • Solara's artificial arm was one of the most striking parts of her design. I wonder why they ditched it?
  • ...actually, why are so many of the neatest ideas in the DotF concept art irrelevant to the actual DLC plans? So strange.

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
Just a headsup for those who have the game on Steam - the new update fixed the annoying stuttering that plagued this version before, so no need to use SpecialK mod for it. It runs very smooth now, especially if putting the game on an SSD. You can still use SpecialK as a frame-limiter though.

However, the patch seemingly disabled the online features like avatar creation for the main game (already seen some workarounds to get it back, but never cared about the feature to test them).

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Tbh exploring Zegnautus again would be boring as hell, considering we already spend a good amount of time there in the main game.

It would be really dissapointing to not be able to explore Gralea.

A lot of interesting details, otherwise.
  • The original concept for Luna's logo-inspired form is so much better than what they did in DotF... I actually kind of think it'd have been cool to include in Dawn of the Future.
  • Given that both Chapter 13 and Verse 2 took place in Zegnautus Keep, I feel like going back there for most of Aranea's DLC would have been overkill. I was hoping it would focus more on the outside of the Keep and the Tenebrae setpiece, but I guess reusing Zegnautus Keep is a lot cheaper.
  • Solara's artificial arm was one of the most striking parts of her design. I wonder why they ditched it?
  • ...actually, why are so many of the neatest ideas in the DotF concept art irrelevant to the actual DLC plans? So strange.
Probably should've put more in, but I was tired. Had a thorough look through the info, and it's not that spoilery by now so I won't tag it. In the DLC plan, Aranea would have been exploring Gralea as it was overwhelmed by Daemons. We'd have been able to reach the roof of Zegnautus, where the Ardyn confrontation would have taken place. Finale was to be a boss fight with Diamond Weapon. One poignant thing, one of the images for Zegnautus is an actual full-sized dev render. They got that far with the DLC when it was cancelled.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Probably should've put more in, but I was tired. Had a thorough look through the info, and it's not that spoilery by now so I won't tag it. In the DLC plan, Aranea would have been exploring Gralea as it was overwhelmed by Daemons. We'd have been able to reach the roof of Zegnautus, where the Ardyn confrontation would have taken place. Finale was to be a boss fight with Diamond Weapon. One poignant thing, one of the images for Zegnautus is an actual full-sized dev render. They got that far with the DLC when it was cancelled.
So it wouldn't have been mostly in Zegnautus, but would include other parts of Gralea as well? That sounds a lot more appealing. And, yeah, the Diamond Weapon setpiece is a legit loss.