Final Fantasy XV Officially Delayed

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Sorry everyone. New date is indeed November 29th.

An excerpt from Nova Crystallis.

“From the moment we joined this project, our vision was to create a level of freedom and realism previously unseen in the series. Regrettably, we need a little bit more time to deliver on this vision and are confident that this new release date will help us achieve this,” said director Hajime Tabata in a press release. “As the director and lead of this project, I wish to personally apologize for the additional wait. As a team, we want Final Fantasy XV to achieve a level of perfection that our fans deserve. We kindly ask for your understanding."

Chin up, everyone. This can only be good for the game itself, and the experience you're looking forward to.

EDIT: Tabata has a gift for us though!! If you turn on subs in the video, you'll see him stating that a gameplay demonstration of the master version of the game will hit us on August 16th! I hope this is able to cheer anyone up who may be upset. It's roughly thirty minutes long, even.

Last edited:

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
Such a shame. Also, the whole 30 minute game play video is great and all, but I just don't think that's going to cut it for a lot of people. For myself though, I suppose at the end of the day it's a good thing they've acknowledged the need to polish it up.

I just hate waiting. I was 20 when they announced this game. I'll be 31 on November 30th. Haha..On the plus side though, the 29th is a Tuesday, which is my day off from work. Every cloud...

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I actually am kinda alright with this, if it's really needed.

But man. I won't be able to play this until February. God, I'm mad, although to be honest had they announced the release date to be this one from the beginning (Uncovered) my exams wouldn't have magically dissapeared, but... I mean, I've waited 10 years (I was 13 when this was announced), so a few more months isn't much, but still really fucking stinks, considering it's just me and everybody else will be enjoying the game and sharing experiences.

So yeah, I wish I could actually play in November/December, because otherwise I wouldn't feel too bad about this. Actually, at the end of the day, one of the many reasons why I want this game to come out already is so I just can "move on" (inverted commas because... well, it's only a videogame, nothing important lol). Also, S-E would move on and could instead focus on other games (at least from a marketing perspective) that many people have waiting for so long for (KH3 mainly. But also VIIR and, especially in my case, whatever XVI is going to be).

I feel bad about Tabata, too, can't imagine the pressure he and his team have and how this whole delay wouldn't even exist unless necessary. Oh, well...

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Although I knew the official announcement of the delay would kill my hype for this game I can deal with it.

Gonna be harder now to avoid media(even teasing me with some extended gameplay on the 16th):/

Bionicle8563

SOLDIER Second Class
May 25, 2016
Australia M8
I'm still in denial at heart, they are just gonna surprise launch it on the 30th and its gonna be great T^T. But in all seriousness, I have to accept his apology and his reasoning because of the delivery. Goddamnit Tabata I gotta keep my hype rolling for another 2 months now! Btw is anyone gonna change that timer?

Sep 26, 2013
Although I knew the official announcement of the delay would kill my hype for this game I can deal with it.

Gonna be harder now to avoid media(even teasing me with some extended gameplay on the 16th):/
If there are no story contents would you be interested in watching it? I'd be more than happy to throw you a PM if the video is just pure gameplay and that would be the sort of thing you'd still be willing to watch.

I have a hard time believing his reasons. Granted, it MIGHT be true and if so, kudos to Tabata-san for risking the backlash that will inevitably follow this, as not many devs are willing to go the extra mile to do that. That being said, him thinking that a significant enough number of players don't hook up their system to the internet sounds nothing short of ridiculous to me and it would be likely that they have run into some sort of trouble regarding the patch or the gold master (i.e. an easy-to-find sequence that crashes the game) which is why they're delaying it and putting the planned Day One patch on the disc.

Call it cynicism, but I don't trust PR any farther than I can throw it.

Though getting the gameplay video based on the final master will be something to look forward to because it is likely we'll get to see material that hasn't been shown yet (and maybe with some proper context).

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Really looking forward to the 30 minute long video, gonna watch on my TV.

I have a hard time believing his reasons. Granted, it MIGHT be true and if so, kudos to Tabata-san for risking the backlash that will inevitably follow this, as not many devs are willing to go the extra mile to do that. That being said, him thinking that a significant enough number of players don't hook up their system to the internet sounds nothing short of ridiculous to me and it would be likely that they have run into some sort of trouble regarding the patch or the gold master (i.e. an easy-to-find sequence that crashes the game) which is why they're delaying it and putting the planned Day One patch on the disc.

Though getting the gameplay video based on the final master will be something to look forward to because it is likely we'll get to see material that hasn't been shown yet (and maybe with some proper context).
It's nice living in a first world country, but not everyone is as fortunate as you or I. Besides, having to download a day one patch is horrible.

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK

This is probably likely correct. I said in a previous thread that they either submitted the release candidate for approvals to the platforms (SCEE etc) and they failed it due to major bugs (as they submit it 6 - 8 weeks prior to launch) or they knew a while ago that they weren't going to achieve a September 30th window.

A friend of mine used to work at SCEE in the approvals department last year so I've messaged him and asked him to try and find out via old colleagues to see if SE actually submitted it or not a couple of weeks ago, which would prove or disprove Tabata's reasons. Hopefully he can find out, although they're pretty secretive there. They're not even allowed to take their mobile phones into the office.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
So is the gameplay video up tomorrow? Or later today? Watched Tabata's video earlier this morning and right now can't check what exact date he gave (the 16th?).

Also, you know you're this upset with the whole (for me) 5-6 months delay when you're not dying of excitement at the prospect of a 30 minute gameplay video of the master build :( I'm interested in it, we haven't seen such a long gameplay slice of the final game, so I really want to see how things are paced. I'm guessing it's going to be a sidequest or something like that. Hopefully they'll show a new area not seen before or not really explored before (so no Duscae or desert). Although I guess that's because I don't really care about location spoilers if they're not terribly huge.

Also, not really expecting a trailer, I guess he would have said so in the delay video. But who knows.

This is probably likely correct. I said in a previous thread that they either submitted the release candidate for approvals to the platforms (SCEE etc) and they failed it due to major bugs (as they submit it 6 - 8 weeks prior to launch) or they knew a while ago that they weren't going to achieve a September 30th window.

A friend of mine used to work at SCEE in the approvals department last year so I've messaged him and asked him to try and find out via old colleagues to see if SE actually submitted it or not a couple of weeks ago, which would prove or disprove Tabata's reasons. Hopefully he can find out, although they're pretty secretive there. They're not even allowed to take their mobile phones into the office.
That'd be great, even if he can't give you an answer!

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, probably. Fortunately for me, I'm in England so Cologne is only an hour ahead of me. I can't wait to watch it.
Yup, Spain here, so I'm actually on the same timezone Germany is.

Wonder when they'll talk about the Season Pass. Very interested in any cosmetic thing (unfortunately, some clothes and stuff like that is bound to be paid DLC) and the online thing.

AverageAfro

PSICOM Soldier
Aug 3, 2016
Really looking forward to the 30 minute long video, gonna watch on my TV.

It's nice living in a first world country, but not everyone is as fortunate as you or I. Besides, having to download a day one patch is horrible.
This gave me perspectice as to why they want to avoid a day one patch, that if they need 2 months (Internal screaming) would be quite a large one. My initial reaction was "Why!? a patch never take me more than an hour to download..." But I guess most of the world doesn't have 60Mbps down.

Ok, so I'm imagining that what's happening here is that their Master version is Witcher 3 on launch, and they're using the extra 2 months to add extra polish to get it to Witcher 3 now?

Edit: I am happy to learn that the game isn't "rough" as Erren was so keen to point out.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
This gave me perspectice as to why they want to avoid a day one patch, that if they need 2 months (Internal screaming) would be quite a large one. My initial reaction was "Why!? a patch never take me more than an hour to download..." But I guess most of the world doesn't have 60Mbps down.

Ok, so I'm imagining that what's happening here is that their Master version is Witcher 3 on launch, and they're using the extra 2 months to add extra polish to get it to Witcher 3 now?
That's something I didn't think about. I mean, I really enjoyed TW3 on launch, but the performance in many places was a disaster, as well as some options not being there, some tweaks that had to be done... I'm guessing it's a good analogy, TW3 feels quite different right now than it did before.

Wonder how the current build (that they're showing tomorrow) will look. My biggest worries (apart from the framerate, obviously) is the AA and how some of the ground textures look: they really fuck the IQ up. Let's see!

Rogue-Tomato

ShinRa SOLDIER
Jan 17, 2016
Worcester, UK
Yup, Spain here, so I'm actually on the same timezone Germany is.

Wonder when they'll talk about the Season Pass. Very interested in any cosmetic thing (unfortunately, some clothes and stuff like that is bound to be paid DLC) and the online thing.
I was getting ready to buy the season pass version, but having looked at what the DLC is, I'm not going to bother.