Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I've been thinking about it for a while. Letting XV kind of settle in so to speak.

And now, I feel, at the time I enjoyed FFXIII more than XV overall. And I'm very critical of XIII.
....Well, never thought I'd say that xD

I think it's become XIII felt more complete and cohesive. But XV felt like a mess but with really cool ideas that never really met their potential or came close to said potential.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I've been thinking about it for a while. Letting XV kind of settle in so to speak.

And now, I feel, at the time I enjoyed FFXIII more than XV overall. And I'm very critical of XIII.
....Well, never thought I'd say that xD

I think it's become XIII felt more complete and cohesive. But XV felt like a mess but with really cool ideas that never really met their potential or came close to said potential.
Interesting perspective.

Story issues aside I think FFXV beats FF13 on every level.

FFXV is actually fun to play, the characters are likeable, the world and potential is amazing, and the fact that there is so much to do and always being together with Bros makes this adventure certainly enjoyable and memorable.

With this game, people actually want to stay in the world of Eos long after the game is finished.

Cocoon and Gran Pulse did not have that pulling power and intrigue. I'd say I couldn't wait to escape and forget about it after finishing the game.

While I too enjoyed FF13, it did feel like a chore at times, wasn't a lot to do except to go forward on the map, and the characters weren't interesting to me. Only liked Lightning cuz of her design. Didn't care about the others.

Completeness is an issue yes, but saying FF13 is better overall just because it is "complete" doesn't make up for its lack of intrigue. In other words, that one factor alone isn't enough to put it higher than FFXV imo.

FF13 did kill the series reception after all...

Only issue I see with FFXV is depth, which they are fixing at the moment.

Last edited:

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Yeh, I mean story matters alot to me in FF. XV felt like it took a backseat so it made me hunger for the much needed story beats I expect from FF.

I agree that technically the game might be better than XIII in most aspects but as an FF fans I enjoyed XIII more. That's how I feel at the moment. That could change though.

But both are games I don't feel the desire to go back into whereas I can totally go back to other older FF games from start to finish multiple times.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Fair enough I suppose since opinions and all :)

However gonna have to disagree with FF13 being the better game. That game and the subsequent ones that followed thereafter single handedly killed the franchises popularity.

Don't think a title that caused that much damage could be better imo.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Ah ok. Usually I think the degree of enjoyment and what constitutes as better are one in the same, if not closely linked, but that's just me apparently. Thanks for clarifying.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I don't know, FFXV without the crown update (7GB) was already 47GB, 3 GB away from the BD cap.
Is there any reason why a dev can't put 50GB worth of game on the primary disc and include the rest as a fake patch on a second disc? That seems like the most obvious workaround.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
I don't know, i think even story overall is far better in XV than in XIII, atleast characters have motivations to do what they do, and not just saved by magic of friendship in the end.
Remember that Barthendulus who appears, got his ass kicked and always acting like it was according to his plan? Fucking nonsense.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Barthandelus did have an amazing boss battle theme I'll give him that. Fighting Fate was one of the best tracks in the game but praise for Barthandelus stops there.

Him one shotting Jihl was unacceptable. Such a waste...

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
imo I think they should both be lower than they are to the tune of about 5 points on average, but that's that.
About 73-74 is what I would have expected for XIII and XV.

Still reviews to be coming in? I see it going down to 77-75 at least. I think that's a fair meta score for this game.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Damn those are pretty harsh scores seeing that the only thing letting the game down was the execution of the story.

MGSV was an unfinished game and it managed to score in the 90s for some reason. Not sure how that can be explained away.

I think people may be judging this title way more harshly than usual because it had such a huge microscope on it all these years and it's kind of a "thing" to nitpick at it. In other words, it's an attitude people learned to pick up by observing other posters.

It's a psychology thing I suppose.

Just saying in general and not saying anyone specifically since it's something I see in all the forums associated with this game :(

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Damn those are pretty harsh scores seeing that the only thing letting the game down was the execution of the story.

MGSV was an unfinished game and it managed to score in the 90s for some reason. Not sure how that can be explained away.

I think people may be judging this title way more harshly than usual because it had such a huge microscope on it all these years and it's kind of a "thing" to nitpick at it. In other words, it's an attitude people learned to pick up by observing other posters.

It's a psychology thing I suppose.

Just saying in general and not saying anyone specifically since it's something I see in all the forums associated with this game :(
I think MGSV benefited from the massive swell of goodwill towards Kojima that came as a result of Konami's awful treatment of him, which isn't applicable to Tabata or FFXV.

Personally, though, I am much, much, much happier with the FFXV we got than I would have been with a game that had practically no cutscenes and no bosses, required the completion of multiple near-identical missions to complete the game, and eventually just stopped instead of offering a meaningful conclusion. Plus, Squenix seems committed to adding stuff to the game where it's lacking even if they needed it to release ASAP for the sake of their financials, while Konami is... Konami.

Aug 13, 2016
After having some time to let it sink in, i still think FFXV will go down as one of my favourite games in the series. There are a number of western RPG series which receive high praise (particularly Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect) that i've struggled to get into. While i appreciate why they are highly regarded, none held my interest like FFXV has. There are many areas where it can be improved, but i think western RPG's are given a free pass (particularly Bestheda games) where similar issues crop up and are still rated highly.

There is alot to love about FFXV which i think deserves highlighting. The combat system, a fantastic villain in Ardyn Izunia, the Aranea Highwind fight, the dungeons, the world of Eos and the epic scale of the astrals to name a few. I have no doubt that Tabata and the team will continue to improve the game and they deserve alot of credit for what has been delivered already.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
It's far from the only thing the reviewers hold against FFXV.
Sure, different strokes for different people.

At times I do wonder whether the negativity gathering around this game is fairly given or it's a learned behaviour people pick up on from reading others comments. This was my main point.

The sheep/mob mentality is strong around this game. It's not uncommon for people to fly off the handle and greatly exaggerate things.

I've seen instances where some posters were neutral around a certain. aspect of the game, then they started participating in shit posting topics, days later they emerge with the exact same atttidue as the shit posters, using the same words and language. Letting yourself get easily influenced by negativity is one of the most piss poor things people can allow to happen to them imo.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
[QUOTE="Sgtsarge, post: 46633, member: 3276]western RPG's are given a free pass (particularly Bestheda games) where similar issues crop up and are still rated highly.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this.

I get that western games are leading the market these past few years but Jesus the free passes they receive...