Final Fantasy XVI - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
I know this is waay too early to discuss this title. However, with Final Fantasy XV near to its end of development, there is no doubt that Square Enix is now developing FFXVI in a very early stage. Since they're forming Final Fantasy Committee, what can you expect from this title?

Would you like to see Medieval Final Fantasy, or Sci Fi Final Fantasy, or both?
Which team would you like to develop that title?

Casval

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 30, 2013
Unless XVI reaps universal acclaim, I won't be purchasing future FF entries after XV.

However, after going through an entire generation of wacky SF, I'm sure fans would love another medieval fantasy in glorious next-gen quality.

Last edited:

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
I would definitely choose a Medieval Final Fantasy. FFXV is in a modern fantasy world, so it would be fair if FFXVI would be in a medieval one.
As for the teams, I would like the original FFIX team and the FFXII one to create it. Plus, since FFXV includes a medieval part in it's world, if it will be satisfying, I would want the XV team to work on it too..

Sep 26, 2013
I honestly don't know what to expect and after the long wait for FFXV, which seems to have another good two years to go, don't really care. I just want a damn good game.

Right now, I think I'm more interested in how much it will cost to make. Budgets are going up next gen for the developers who want to create PS4 looking games with bigger and better production values. Is Agni's Philosophy something they want to target FFXVI with in terms of visuals?

Oh! I know what to expect! FFXVI-2! :D

Unless XVI reaps universal acclaim, I won't be purchasing future FF entries after XV.
You can count me out if Toriyama is directing FFXVI.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Medieval would make the most sense after FF15. Something that blends the best of FF9, 12 and 14 together in some form could be pretty special.

Oct 4, 2013
Hmm, I don't agree that much. It's a modern fantasy world, with some medieval elements here and there. IX, XI, XII and XIV are some of the pure medieval entries in my opinion.
Last time I checked IX featured clones, world merging, spaceships, transformer airship, lost technology, a lot of these are important sci-fi-ish plot points and world building stuff. Also, XIV isn't really medieval at all. As you progress it reveal more technology side of the world. The Garlean empire is way ahead of Eoreza in technology.

The trick is in supposedly pure medieval FFs and JRPGs, they show more technology as you progress, some even ends up with more terms and technobabbles than a proper sci-fi game. XV take it the other way, you start in a more developed and rich country then delve into medieval regions.

I would love if XV was going to be like modern in terms of world building and the story but at the moment i can't help but think it is FF "Senki" or war based setting.

Last edited:

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Last time I checked IX featured clones, world merging, spaceships, transformer airship, lost technology, a lot of these are important sci-fi-ish plot points and world building stuff. Also, XIV isn't really medieval at all. As you progress it reveal more technology side of the world. The Garlean empire is way ahead of Eoreza in technology.

The trick is in supposedly pure medieval FFs and JRPGs, they show more technology as you progress, some even ends up with more terms and technobabbles than a proper sci-fi game. XV take it the other way, you start in a more developed and rich country then delve into medieval regions.

I would love if XV was going to be like modern in terms of world building and the story but at the moment i can't help but think it is FF "Senki" or war based setting.
What I meant is that the medieval settings dominate in these worlds where there are characters (cast and NPCs) in the old time classic jobs, unlike XV. However, we still haven't seen how much this kind of elements are extended in XV so... Untill we see more in-game footage we should all hold our horses! :)

Varnis

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 9, 2013
Australia
well...How about we just count the amount of Fantasy/Sci-Fi Final Fantasies there are...(feel free to fill in the gaps.)

Fantasy -

In-Between -

Sci-Fi -

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
well...How about we just count the amount of Fantasy/Sci-Fi Final Fantasies there are...(feel free to fill in the gaps.)

Fantasy -

In-Between -

Sci-Fi -

Fantasy - I, II, III, IV, V, IX, XI

In Between - VI, X, XII, XIV, XV

Sci-Fi - VII, VIII, XII

Varnis

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 9, 2013
Australia

Sci-Fi - VII, VIII, XIII
Thanks

Looking at this list we have: 7 Fantasy, 5 In-betweens and 3 Sci-fi's.

Hmmmm...since XI was the last Fantasy...maybe it's time XVI goes back to a Fantasy setting.

Unless they do another In-Between one with a heavier focus on Fantasy...Thoughts?

Oct 19, 2013

Sci-Fi - VII, VIII, XII
Hmm, aren't VII/VIII more like "In Between"?^^ The only really, completely out-there sci-fi one is XIII, imo.

On XVI: I would LOVE to see more of the Agni's Philosophy style. Absolutly adored the quite unique mix of western/japanese aesthetics and Agni's character design is beautiful!
Does anybody know more about what the AP Tech Demo team is doing currently? What is Shinji Hasimoto up to?

Oct 4, 2013
I just want Ito to direct it, there is absolutely no excuse for him to be pushed aside the way he has been.

Fantasy -

In-Between -

Sci-Fi -
Pretty much all of them are "In-Between" or "mixed" excluding like FF2 and FF5. I find that pure Sci-fi settings in JRPGs is relatively rare.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
I really like XII's mix of medieval setting and also...I guess I'd call it a low-setting sci-fi world, too. With all of the airships and fairly advanced technology they have, I would say it's not a total medieval world, what do you think? So I wouldn't mind another FF in a setting like that.

But is anyone else amazed that we're already talking about FFXVI? I mean, at some point the series is going to stop, right? Not anytime soon I'd bet, but...ugh, the thought just makes me sad, never mind. :(
Oh please don't say that! I'm gonna cry! Really! Final Fantasy is not just a gaming series for me, and I suppose for many of us... I would definitely be shocked if I heard such news one day...

As for the pure medieval games I agree. But still, the entire world of these entries lives in an old fashioned way, so that's why I believe they are "pure" medieval, compared to VII or VIII where cars, spaceships and such staff dominate...

Sep 26, 2013
But is anyone else amazed that we're already talking about FFXVI? I mean, at some point the series is going to stop, right? Not anytime soon I'd bet, but...ugh, the thought just makes me sad, never mind. :(
I'm more amazed that we don't know anything about it yet. FFXV should have been out years ago and old news. We should be talking about FFXVI.