Gamekult: Hajime Tabata Interview (English translations)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I prefer the small titbits of updates we've been receiving instead of the long droughts of information. It gives me the impression this game is truly a priority for Square-Enix.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
And there are not really many developers who are successfully able to achieve and add everything they want in a game. Tons of assets get created and cut all the time in game development. It’s normal. This happens because of time and budget constraints, something isn’t working properly, capable key individuals are unable to get involved because they have to focus on something that's more important, or it hurts the pace or theme of the game.
Are you a programmer or have you studied the craft? You seem to know what you're talking about. Though I don't agree with all of your methods or conveying your knowledge.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Are you a programmer or have you studied the craft? You seem to know what you're talking about. Though I don't agree with all of your methods or conveying your knowledge.
I thought that was common sense (knowing that stuff gets cut because of time/budgets/file size). I mean, look a the ton of unused assets FF7 has.

Last edited:

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I thought that was common sense (knowing that stuff gets cut because of time/budgets/file size). I mean, look a the ton of unused assets FF7 has.
I'm not saying it's not common knowledge, but I admit, I often don't think that deeply about the inter-workings of that stuff until after they happen.
But the reason why I asked if he's programmer is because he often has full paragraphs he types up with all this in-depth info. I've taken classes on it and never retained that kinda information. Leonblade and Crystal Power give off the same vibe about other subjects.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I think that, if we're analyzing a lot of the elements the game is supposed to have; we have to think about every possibility, and among those (maybe the most important of all) is the fact that development may not go as smoothly as planned. What can you expect, after all, if a game that was announced about 8 years ago; changed generations, engines, and directors? Of course stuff that was supposed to be in the game is probably not going to be there in the final product.

Sep 26, 2013
It’s public information from the developers themselves. Developer interviews, Postmortems, books, magazines, lectures you can watch online to name a few. It’s not some dark secret or anything.

If we look at FFXIII for example.

We know all about the development struggles with Final Fantasy XIII’s development as a Postmortem was released in the October 2010 issue of Game Developer.

We also know about some of FFXIII’s cut content and why it was cut.

Lightning’s home, Nora’s secret base and an amusement park in Nautilus Park were all cut to preserve the game’s balance and keep the game-size down.

The Seventh Ark was cut because the hectic development schedule caught up to them. Was planned to be DLC but technical problems came about and they didn’t believe it would live up to the expectations.

Stuff like financial reports, investor Q&A, interviews with the business people etc, are also made available for the public as well. Gives us a good idea about the business side of things, financial expectations, future plans and stuff.

If you want to know what Square Enix's new plan is for what their Japanese and Western studios will make, you can read all about it here.
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/15q2slides.pdf (Spoiler alert: You're not going to see a ton of major titles that cost several billion yen to make).

Last edited:

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I didn't think it was a dark secret I just didnt think people often focused on it to retain the info long after they read it. I usual read about a games plot and characters and gameplay then wait for it to come out. Its only xv that I got sucked into the "what's the hold up" conspiracy on the net.