Hideo Kojima And Guillermo del Toro Team Up For New Silent Hill

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Hideo Kojima And Guillermo del Toro Team Up For New Silent Hill
Yeah, this is actually happening. Classic horror game series Silent Hill is back, with Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima and famed horror movie director Guillermo del Toro involved. Walking Dead TV show actor Norman Reedus is the star. It was revealed in the form of an interactive teaser on the PlayStation Store.

You can see the reveal at 1:16 (one hour, sixteen minutes) of this video (captured by SoapyWarpig on Twitch).

The video shows a man who turns out to be actor Norman Reedus on a darkened street before revealing the the names of Kojima and del Toro. He looks at the camera, and then the Silent Hill logo appears.

So this kinda came out of nowhere, huh? Well, not entirely. An allegedly terrifying demo called P.T. was announced and released during Sony's Gamescom conference, and people flocked to the PS Store to download it. It turned out to be a teaser for this mega-project, as opposed to a demo for a new horror series as everyone first suspected.

The whole stunt is very much in line with Kojima's penchant for bait-and-switches, mostly recently seen with Metal Gear Solid V's "The Phantom Pain" reveal gag. Even P.T.'s developer, 7780s Studio, turned out to be a big fat phony. Oh Kojima, never change.

This isn't Guillermo del Toro's first crack at game development, either. He was set to head up a much-hyped but never seen horror game trilogy called Insane before publisher THQ became a madhouse (and then not a house at all) due to money troubles.

Previously, communications from Silent Hill had gone a bit, er, silent, with Silent Hill: Book of Memories hitting PlayStation Vita back in 2012. Before that was Silent Hill: Downpour on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Neither was particularly good.

There was also the movie Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, which Kirk insists I mention—and I quote—"because it had Ned Stark and Jon Snow" from Game of Thrones in it. The actors, of course. It would've only been a thousand times better if they were playing their GoT characters. Only a thousand.

So yeah, this is one hell of way to bring back Silent Hill after a couple-year slumber. Kojima and del Toro are waking the dead. I can't wait to see what happens. Through my own hands, of course, which will be glued firmly to my eyeballs while I whimper like a frightened child.

Sep 26, 2013
Seems like we're getting a lot of survival horror games lately. Not only that but they seem focused on actually trying to be horror games too. *coughResidentEvilcough*

Sep 26, 2013
Don't have a PS4 but I've been reading up and watching some things. God damn this shit is creepy!

Imagine playing this with Project Morpheus... :eek:

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
How much of this is Kojima as a brand than Kojima as a creative director?

And I wonder if any of those names at the end of trailer were associated to the Team Silent days?

Sep 26, 2013
I get the impression that there is no correct way to do it as everyone seems to get something different. But there probably is a correct way to do it. If it's random, that's pretty neat!

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I get the impression that there is no correct way to do it as everyone seems to get something different. But there probably is a correct way to do it. If it's random, that's pretty neat!
You bet. I paused the game and went to my room to get some stuff (I was really frustrated), when I heard the creepy sounds. On the pause screen. So I ran to my TV and as soon as I resume the game, the puzzle is solved. Kinda creepy.