Hironobu Sakaguchi announces Terra Battle for iOS/Android

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'm interested 'cause it's simply a Sakaguchi game, but the words free-to-play almost always bad news for me.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
It's interesting right now what we know and what we don't know.

We've heard now about the title, the staff, Uematsu, seen character art - but not a single look yet at the game's engine. I guess the full reveal is in August?

Here is an opportunity for him to come and just slay the 16-bit retro JRPG market for mobile devices but for all we know he may try to make this a full on 3D title.

The two main guys he has working on this had both been at Square a long time but never served any significant roles there - but it does appear they put some work into the rendering engine for Crystal Tools.

Anyhow - just a bit of rambling here but I'm very curious and for Mr. Sakaguchi that is a good thing right now.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
It's a shame he isn't making another console entry. I actually quite enjoyed The Last Story despite its over-abundance of "clichés" and "tropes".

Sep 26, 2013
Terra Battle’s Version Of Bahamut Will Be A Recruitable Monster
Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi has shared a few glimpses of Mistwalker’s upcoming smartphone game, Terra Battle, which even has its own version of Bahamut. In a short interview with Famitsu magazine, he shared a few more details on the game.

According to Sakaguchi, the game is currently in its final stage of development, and they just have a few more touch-ups to go until it’s complete. It was originally announced for a September release, but it has since then been pushed back to October that the team has more time to make adjustments.

When asked about his feelings about the reveal for the game, Sakaguchi stated that since they only showed the title and an illustration, he doesn’t expect fans to be as excited, and he’s a little nervous to find out for himself on how fans must feel.

However, he says that sometime in August, they will reveal more information, along with a a special trailer that will be shown in a style they’ve yet to try, and from there, he’ll be more curious about the reaction from fans.

Finally, Famitsu asks if he could share a little more details on any of the monsters in the game.

“You can become allies with Bahamut!” exlcaims Sakaguchi. “And he’s quite the tough one. We’re preparing a special dungeon, so look forward to taking him on there!”

Terra Battle will launch worldwide in October.

Sep 26, 2013
Mistwalker’s Terra Battle Will Come To Consoles If 2 Million People Download It

Terra Battle is an upcoming smartphone game by Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi and Mistwalker that features strategic gameplay and even its own version of Bahamut. This week’s issue of Famitsu magazine provides the latest details on the game. [Thanks, Game Jouhou.]

Terra Battle will have a total of 30 chapters in its story, and that will include an ending. Once players beat the game, they can continue leveling their characters and fight tougher monsters.

Battles take place on an 8 x 6 grid, where the goal is to take out all the enemies that appear. Players will have about four seconds to freely move around the field. As far as micro-transactions go, players will be able to purchase “Energy,” which is used to recover stamina, continues that can be used whenever they get wiped in battles, or for a capsule feature.

The magazine report also reveals a “Download-starter,” which is basically a Kickstarter-esque idea, whereby Mistwalker will continue adding new features and content based on the total number of Terra Battle downloads.

Here’s a list of what we can expect from the Download-Starter campaign:
  • 100,000 downloads: New song(s) by Nobuo Uematsu.
  • 200,000 downloads: New characters by Hideo Minaba.
  • 300,000 downloads: In-game appearance by manga artist Nakaba Suzuki.
  • 1,000,000 downloads: A concert for Terra Battle.
  • 1,400,000 downloads: Commencement of figurine production.
  • 2,000,000 downloads: Development of a console version of Terra Battle.
Terra Battle launches worldwide in October for smartphone.

May 26, 2014
Looks to me like this is trying to appeal to the whole Puzzles and Dragons crowd while still being kind of RPG-ish and still being its own thing. At first I was a little put off by the gameplay, but after watching a gameplay overview on the game's official site I can actually see myself getting into this. Visual design/sound design/interface all look pretty good. This is actually the first mobile game I've seriously considered playing.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
I'm pretty disappointed (I don't know why but I built myself up to the possibility this would be a 2D sprite based JRPG), but will still download it and give it a try.

For the most part, everything seems to be maps, menus, and board battles - I don't think there will be anything to "explore" in the traditional sense.