Hironobu Sakaguchi Working on a New Game in 2016 in Parallel with Terra Battle

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Suppose to get Terra Battle for consoles since that's what he promised if the game reached 2 million(?) downloads, which it did. Perhaps plans changed.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Given how succesful TB has been (I usually dislike mobile gaming, but that was a great one. Might redownload again, erased it during exam week lol), I'm guessing this is most likely another smartphone game. Especially since Mistwalker is a tiny, tiny studio focused on the creative side. I don't know if the Gooch wants another big game.

But man, I'm still excited about another big game by this dude. Absolutely love (almost) everything he's done. I saw APZonerunner's Twitter mentioning the similarity of this font and the one from Lost Oddyssey. That'd be sweet (and bad at the same time, as maybe that'd mean that it'd would be an XBOne exclusive and I don't have one haha).

Sakaguchi is still pretty young, so hopefully he still has the motivation to create another big title, if only just one.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Come on Sakaguchi,if you make a new jrpg please bring it on ps4,thats where most jrpgs are nowdays
I dont want to buy an Xbone :arghh:
I agree. I don't really know the history of Sakaguchi and Sony, if there is any, but from years of news about Sakaguchi, I have an impression that he is a very stubborn guy. Nothing exactly wrong with that, especially stubbornness can be a good trait for what he does. That said, I always have a feeling that his stubbornness did cause him a lot of issues when it comes down to getting his game or vision in motion. I have a feeling that publishing in XBox rather than Sony is one of these decisions. I would've tried Blue Dragon if it weren't on XBox, to be very honest.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Sony... Doesn't seem like a company that would fund a Sakaguchi project today. They seem to be focused on AAA projects (1st party stuff), indie projects that make a big noise (No Man's Sky) or projects that don't seem like they cost a lot and are safe to make (Street Fighter V). They don't seem to be interested in mid-tier efforts, which seems to be the type of games Sakaguchi has been making since he left Square Enix, and titles that target a niche market.

Microsoft... Safe to say that any Japanese project they green light will target the west as Japan doesn't care about them at all (just look at the Media Create numbers). Lost Odyssey has that western looking touch to it so it'd make sense I guess. Scalebound is suppose to target the west too if I remember correctly.

Nintendo... They see value in the RPG genre. The genre is well received with their audience on the 3DS and Reggie talked about wanting to replicate that with the Wii U. They funded The Last Story for Wii and Genei Ibunroku #FE for Wii U. Will they fund yet another RPG that isn't made by a 1st party developer? If I were a betting man, I'd like my chances. ;)

Sep 26, 2013

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Fuck yes, please.

I'm not the biggest fan of those designs (I like the blonde girl, though), but I absolutely LOVE Kimihiko Fujisaka's art. I mean, look at my avatar (I was dissapointed as hell when they didn't use this design for a new big FF-ish IP or LO2 and instead (I think) repurposed it into a TB character).

I love that he says that he wants the game to look "sketch-like" in order to mimic the artstyle. I've wanted a similar approach to some FFs for a while, especially those designed by Nomura: the characters end up looking like creepy perfect dolls and don't do justice to his art (as I said the other day, I actually like Tidus' design on paper, but absolutely hated him in engine. FF XV looks pretty good in that regard, though, if we can see past those hairstyles).

I hope it truly is a console title (as much as I enjoyed TB). Hell, it doesn't need to be a huge endeavour: make it more like the PS1 FFs, with prerrendered backgrounds and 3D characters, with a big focus on world exploration, towns and stuff like that. In fact, I think I prefer it that way, I'm itching for a title like that and would prefer this game to release as soon as possible.

I'm very interested in seeing who's going to be the company that develops it. In the Gooch we trust.

Last edited: