How long is FF2?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
It's not very long but the amount of grinding necessary to stay at a comfortable power level as the story progresses took me a really long time. There are too many difficulty spikes to play through the game without any stat grinding.

I had to set up a system where I'd go through bags of hard candies and play some music that would keep me mentally engaged long enough to suffer through a few hundred battles of my characters beating themselves up and selecting actions only to cancel them immediately.

While I did it just to say that I beat it, in retrospect it was a real waste of my time. Good ideas, horrible/broken execution. SaGa handled it much better.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
It's not very long but the amount of grinding necessary to stay at a comfortable power level as the story progresses took me a really long time. There are too many difficulty spikes to play through the game without any stat grinding.

I had to set up a system where I'd go through bags of hard candies and play some music that would keep me mentally engaged long enough to suffer through a few hundred battles of my characters beating themselves up and selecting actions only to cancel them immediately.

While I did it just to say that I beat it, in retrospect it was a real waste of my time. Good ideas, horrible/broken execution. SaGa handled it much better.
What version did you play?

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I played the playstation version. I think it would be less tedious on a handheld because you could watch a movie while you input an endless string of "select select cancel"s.

But I heard some versions of the game are different-- removing the stat grinding exploits and upping (!) the difficulty. Which is hard for me to come to grips with because for me it was the hardest FF game to get through and I did the Dark Aeon side quest in FFX, beat the weapons in FF7, etc. With FF2 I just never felt a sense of accomplishment.

I'd say do research into the features of the version you are looking at before making any purchases.

Some people really like FF2 but it's really one of those love-or-hate things, it seems.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I played the playstation version. I think it would be less tedious on a handheld because you could watch a movie while you input an endless string of "select select cancel"s.

But I heard some versions of the game are different-- removing the stat grinding exploits and upping (!) the difficulty. Which is hard for me to come to grips with because for me it was the hardest FF game to get through and I did the Dark Aeon side quest in FFX, beat the weapons in FF7, etc. With FF2 I just never felt a sense of accomplishment.

I'd say do research into the features of the version you are looking at before making any purchases.

Some people really like FF2 but it's really one of those love-or-hate things, it seems.
I'm already playing it on my Android phone. Haha. Android version is of course based off the PSP version.

May 26, 2014
Too long. I've only watched a playthrough of it at one point, and that completely turned me off from ever playing it. From what I've seen and heard, it looks more tedious than fun. Good luck.