[In Progress] Game Watch Interview Translation

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
I know, I know. I haven't finished the other one as well... I'll get zem zun... I promize...
https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1107892.html
――「ロイヤルエディション」の発売はいつ頃から予定されていたのでしょうか?
Since when was the Royal Edition planned to be released?
田畑氏:本編の発売前からになりますね。一連のDLCを配信後に、いわゆる“全部入り版”を発売しようという計画が当初からありました。
Tabata - It would be before the release of the main game actually. After all the addtitional DLC content were released, we had plans to release it as the ''complete edition'' from the start.
ただ、その後にちょっと予定が変わったんですよ。昨年で終える予定だったDLCの展開を2018年以降も続けることにしたことです
However, the plans had changed a little thereafter. The DLC additions were supposed to end in last year, but we had decided to continue development in 2018 as well.

――東京ゲームショウ 2017のステージイベントで「『FFXV』は来年も物語を強化していきます!」と発表されていましたよね。
At the TGS 2017 event stage, you had announced that you will continue to improve the story for FFXV this year too right?
田畑氏:そうです。予定が変わったところがあって「ロイヤルエディション」以降にもDLCを出していくので全部入りではなくなったわけですが、「ロイヤルエディション」には最初の「FFXV」から1年以上をかけて進化させたものがまとめてありますので、「FFXV」をまだプレイしていない新規のユーザーさんに向けた良い入り口になってくれるのではと思います。
Tabata- Yes that's correct. As the plans changed to add more DLC content beyond the Royal Edition, it no longer became the Complete Edition. But as the RE has all the updates over year, I think that it will be a good entry point for thosr who have yet to play.
あと、ここ1年で展開してきたDLCは全てこの「ロイヤルエディション」を想定して展開していた部分があるんです。例えば、「戦友」というオンラインマルチプレイのDLCを出しましたが、「戦友」のストーリーから本編の最終章へと繋がっていくストーリーを「ロイヤルエディション」に収録しています。他にも、「ロイヤルエディション」ではクルーザーで海を自由に移動して海釣りができるようになったりなど拡張もしています。
Also, having all the year one DLC content in the RE, we have used it as a foundation to develop certain aspects. For example, we have released the "Comrades" MP DLC, but we have included a bridge connecting the Comrades story tying into the last chapter of the main game. Othser include being able to freely travel in the ocean using the Cruiser and other expansions.
そういう、これまでのDLCには入らなかったけど「ロイヤルエディション」向けの計画として作っていたものがありましたので、そこをしっかりと出していこうというものにもなっています。
In that sense, we were not able to add it into the DLC up until now, but we developed it as part of the plans for the RE, so it's something that we wanted to do properly to accomplish.

――「ロイヤルエディション」をただのDLC&アップデート全部入りにはせず、さらに要素や物語を追加拡張していく。その方向へと舵を切ったタイミングがどこかにあったのではと思うのですが、それはどのあたりの時期だったのでしょうか?
Not making the RE just as a Complete Edition with just DLC and Updates, but you made it bu further adding and expanding the content and story. I believe that there was a turning point where you decided to go that route, but could you tell us when this timing was?
田畑氏:それは……本編の発売直後ですね。DLC展開だけでなく本編自体のアップデートをしていくと決めたときに、その後に発売を考えていたDLC全収録版は、単なるDLC全収録版ではない“進化した「FFXV」”にするべきだと、そのタイミングで決めました。
Tabata - That is... right after release. It was at this time, when we decided to not just develop DLC, but make updates to the main story, we thought that we needed to create a complete edition that was not just a compilation of DLC's but as an ''evolved FFXV''.

――本編とDLCの繋がりを補完したりして、1本のゲームのように仕上げるというイメージになったと。
So by better supplementing the connection between the main story and DLC's, you mean the goal became to complete it as one whole game.
田畑氏:はい。それに加えてアップデートもありましたからね。1年以上をかけてゲーム自体が進化したところも収録して、ただのDLC全部入りではなく進化した作品として出す。その区切りとなるのが「ロイヤルエディション」なんです。
Tabata - Yes. In addition, there were further updates too as well. Including the updates in which over a year was spent to improve the game as a whole, we wanted to release an evolved product that wasn't just a DLC CE.
……そして、「ロイヤルエディション」を発売してのここからは、元々は計画になかった“「FFXV」をきっちりと完結させるための新しいストーリー”をやろうと、切り替えて取り組んでいるところです。
... And so, from here on out after the release of the RE, we are at the point where we want to do ''A new story in order to being FFXV to a proper conclusion'', which we originally had no plans for.

――「ロイヤルエディション」に追加収録されている要素についてお伺いしますが、まずは「王都インソムニア」のエクストラマップ。これがやはり目玉というか、大きなものになりますかね
I want to talk about the additional content that will be included in the Royal Edition. First, about the Insomnia extra map. Could this possibly be the centerpiece or be something bigger?
田畑氏:そうですね。しかもDLCのようにタイトル画面から選ぶ形式ではなく、本編のゲーム内容が拡張されているものになっています。それなりの広さのマップに拠点もあり、専用のクエストがあり、ボスもいて。そこだけでも最低2~3時間は遊べるボリュームがあると思います。
Tabata - I guess so. Also, it's not the same format as DLC's where you start it from the title screen, but it has been directly implemented into the main story. The map is large it's own right and it includes exclusive quests and bosses as well. Even with just that, I think there is enough volume to enjoy playing at least 2-3 hours.

――以前の「FF」ナンバリングシリーズですと、インターナショナル版のタイミングにいろいろ追加されたりしていましたし、他のゲームでもベスト版発売のタイミングなどに「発売のときに間に合わなかったけど、本当はこれも入れたかったんだ」的なものが収録されたりなどもありましたが、この「王都インソムニア」のエクストラマップは、そういうところもあったのでしょうか。
In previous mainlines FF entries, there were ''International'' versions which included various updates and other games had ''Best Seller'' versions which had included content that ''Weren't ready by launch, but we really wanted this to be in the game too'' kinda pf scenarios. This is expansion of Insomnia also something like that?
田畑氏:間に合わなかったものを入れたというより、“本編自体を強化しよう”という意識からでした。強化するべき本編の物語のなかで、DLCやアップデートでも触っていないところとして、最終章の舞台を強化しようということになりました。
Tabata - Rather than it being put in because it wasn't ready in time, it was from our intention to ''improve the core of the game''. Improving the story of the main game was what we ought to do and to improve parts of the game where the DLC's didn't touch upon, we had decided to improve the last chapter of the game.

――なるほど。「真・ファントムソードの追加」というものもありますが、これはバトル要素の拡張になりますよね。
I see. There is also the ''True Phantom Sword'' update and I presume that this is an expansion to combat.
黒田氏:そうですね、まさにバトルの拡張です。ファントムソードは13本あって、それぞれ個別の機能で戦っていたわけです。今回は「ファントムソード」を発動すると、まったく新しい戦い方ができるようになっています。ボタンを押しっぱなしでもこれまで通り攻撃しますが、ボタンを押すタイミング次第で攻撃の分岐が行なわれて強力な技が増えるんです。
Kuroda - That's right, it's exactly an expansion to the combat. There are 13 Phantom Swords and until now you fought using each weapons individual traits. Now, using Phantom Sword, you will be able to use the, in a completely different way. If you hold down the attack button, it will auto attack like usual, but depending on the timing of your attacks from manual pressing, there will be a big divergence in damage output and more powerful abilities will become available.
田畑氏:ステータス的に強くなるのではなく、プレーヤーのテクニックに応じて今まで以上に威力がある攻撃ができるといったテクニカルなものになっていますね。
Tabata - It will not make you stronger in stats, but it is a technical increase in relation to the players ability and skill, allowing stronger attacks than ever before.

――バトルスタイルを増やすという方向なんですね。アクション要素が今までよりも強い戦い方になっているのでしょうか?
So it's about increasing the battle style. Does that mean that actions have become more stronger than before?
田畑氏:誰もが遊べる要素というより、腕を磨いてこだわりのコンボを放ちたいという人向けです。
Tabata - Rather than it being something that anyone can play, it is suited for those who want to find the right combos and maximize and polish their abilities.

――某スタイリッシュアクション作品で、ひたすらに華麗なコンボを追求してそれを楽しんでいる人がいますよね。“魅せプレイ”の追求のような。あれに近い楽しみ方ができるのでしょうか?
In a certain stylish action game, there are those players who are simply obsessed with trying to achieve gratifying combos. Somewhat ''Flashy Playstyle'' in other words. Would you be able to enjoy it like that?
黒田氏:まさにそういう人に響くような要素ですね。
Kuroda - It's exactly suited for those kinds of players.

――ちなみに、それを入れようと考えたきっかけなり理由はあったのでしょうか? 例えば、インソムニアのエクストラマップに登場する追加ボスに使っていくのに良かったり。
In this regard, was there a reason that led you to think of putting this in? For example, like it would be good and useful in the additional boss fights in the Insomnia extra map?
黒田氏:もちろん追加されたボスとの戦いにも使えますが、根底にあったのは“バトルの手触り感、戦っている感”をより高めたいという考えなんです。「FFXV」ではアクションが苦手な人でも楽しめるようにというスタンスがありましたが、今回のファントムソードはそれより一歩踏み出したプラスアルファなものになています。
Kuroda - Of course you will be using it in a boss battle that will be added, but it was our intention to further enhance the ''feeling and sense'' of the combat. For FFXV, we had the stance that even those who are not good at action games would be able to enjoy, but the True Phantom Sword is a step forward from that and is something like a plus alpha.

――それは今回の「ロイヤルエディション」という、いろいろな展開を踏まえた後のタイミングだから入れられるということでもあるのでしょうか。
So that (NPS) in the Royal Edition, would you say that you were able to put it in because it was after you had a firm grasp of the various additions to the (RE)?
黒田氏:そうですね。もうひとつ上の遊びを追加しているというところがあります。
Kuroda - That is so. There is a point where we wanted to add a new level of play.
田畑氏:バトルのエンドコンテンツと言えるものですね。
Tabata - I guess you can call it the end-game of combat.

――ちなみにユーザーさんからの要望でも、バトルのアクション要素をもっと高めて欲しいという意見が多かったのでしょうか?
In that regards, among the requests from the fans; were there many opinions where players wanted more and improved in the combats action elements?
田畑氏:ユーザーさんから明確に「バトルをこうして欲しい!」というのは意外と少なくて、1番多いのは「もっと強いボスを追加して欲しい」というものでした.
Tabata - There were surprisingly little feedback where players clearly pointed out ''This is what I want fights to be!'' and most comments were ''I want stronger bosses added''.
 今回のバトル拡張のコンセプトには「遊びの幅を広げる」というものがあるのですが、プレーヤーの操作に変化がないのでは幅は広がらないと黒田は考えて。そこで、やりこんだ上で手に入り、自分の腕次第で強さが変わっていくようなものを入れたというわけですね。
The concept for the expansion of the combat was to increase the freedom of combat, but Kuroda thought that nothing would change if there weren't any changes to the control input from the players. And so basically made it so the players strength would change depending on ones own ability gained from experience.

――なるほど。ちなみにオンラインマルチプレイの「戦友」も今後さらに拡張していくということですが、この「ロイヤルエディション」のバトル拡張要素は「戦友」にも影響していったり、後々に加わっていったりもするのでしょうか?
I see. Also, the MP expansion Comrades will also be expanded from here on out, but will the combat expansion in the RE also be reflected in Comrades or be added at a later time?
黒田氏:「戦友」は、別の進化をしていくことになると思います。ファントムソードのアクションになりますし、あくまでもストーリー本編中のノクト専用というものになっていくと思います。
Kuroda - As for Comrades, I think it will have a different development. It is an expansion of the Phantom Sword and at the most will be exclusive to Noctis in the main game.

黒田氏:(実際にプレイをし始めて)少しだけですけど見て頂きましょうか。
Kuroda - (Started playing the game) It's just for a little bit, but let's have a look at it.
寺田氏:これが真・ファントムソードですね。
Terada - This is the True Phantom Sword.

――おっと、これは……! この攻撃って、使うとノクトが辛い気持ちで出していたあの技なのでは? 本編ストーリーの最後の最後あたりで見たような……。
Woah, this is....! This attack, wasn't this that ability that came from Noct's painful emotions when used? I think I remember seeing it in the story at the very, very end.....
田畑氏:もちろん序盤のものではないですね(笑)。
Tabata - Of course this isn't something from the opening (laughs)
黒田氏:ファントムソードを全部揃えてからの、その先の遊びになっているんですよ。他にも、空中を飛んでいるときに使ったあの攻撃とか、新しい動きもあります。
Kuroda - You can experience this after you've finished collecting all the Phantom Swords. There is also that attack that was used while flying mid-air and there a new movesets as well.
田畑氏:本編を十分に遊んだセーブデータであれば、入手はそんなに大変ではないと思います。
Tabata - If you have a save data where you progressed far enough, I don't think it will be too hard to obtain.

――続いての「ロイヤルエディション」の追加要素は「クルーザーで海を自由に移動できる」というものですが、これを見た人がまず思うのは「どこに行くの?」とか「何をするの?」ではないかなと。本編中では海は移動シーンとしてあっただけで特に何もしなかったですよね。
Moving on, as part of the RE update, you will be able to freely travel in the sea with the cruiser. I think that the first thing that people think seeing this would be, ''Where can you go?" and "What can you do?". As in the main game, the ocean transition was just a cutscene and you didn't do anything.
田畑氏:あのシーンでは何もできなかったですからね(笑)。
Tabata - Well you you couldn't do anything in that scene (laughs)
――でも、海自体は最初の段階からフィールドとして広く作ってあったわけですよね。

寺田氏:ありました。(マップ画面を見ながら)ちなみに、ここがオルティシエなので本編ではここからこういうルートを進んでいったというわけです。

――今、映画インディー○ョーンズの移動中みたいな画面になってますけども(笑)。こうしてみるとこの地域だけでも結構な広さがありますよね、海。

黒田氏:だいたいこの本編で渡った海域を「ロイヤルエディション」では自由に移動できます。それで、海で何をするかと言えば「釣り」ですね。

――「海釣り」がついに。

田畑氏:大海原で釣りを楽しんでもらうということですね。それにあわせて魚も増えてますし、料理も増えてます。まぁ、クルーザー移動というより“海釣りが入った”という方が話が早いかもしれない(笑)。

黒田氏:クルーザーは海のどこでも止められます。

田畑氏:寝泊まりもできて時間も進められます。

寺田氏:ショップもあります。

田畑氏:なので根を詰めて海釣りができます(笑)。

――なるほど(笑)。ミニマップに光っているのは魚影レーダーでしょうか?

黒田氏:そうです。海の釣りに関するクエストもあります。

Last edited:

SerjAngelo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for translating this, the more I see and read about Armiger Unleashed, the more excited I get.
I was worrying that it would be too OP and there wouldn't be much chance to show off all of its abilities if the enemies would be dying from one hit, however it seems that it just allows for a more technical and stylish gameplay, which was something I always wanted from this game. Can't wait to put my hands on it.

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Thanks for the translation, that ending of the first part you've posted has me VERY intrigued... I don't want too get too excited, and correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like they're talking about
KOTR?
oh damn, now i see why you think it might be KOTR

ability that came from painful emotions at the very end... holy f

Nariya36

Sphere Hunter
Feb 18, 2018
is the Legacy of the Lucii the only new ability we haven't seen? if any skill invokes the royal kings, is that one
if you check the royal edition, when the techniques appear for a split second, legacy of the lucii seems to be selected. So I always thought the technique he did at the start of RE is the LOTL technique. But I hope I'm wrong and LOTL is actually something we haven't seen yet.

techbar.png

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
It could also possibly be that it's not even one of those 4 skills.

The old Armiger had above where you press L1 and R1 again to perform something. It's possible it is either that or its the finisher of the entire Armiger when it runs out. It may not even have a name

Nariya36

Sphere Hunter
Feb 18, 2018
It could also possibly be that it's not even one of those 4 skills.

The old Armiger had above where you press L1 and R1 again to perform something. It's possible it is either that or its the finisher of the entire Armiger when it runs out. It may not even have a name
I think being able to activate/deactivate it whenever you want would be a better option, I really hated how the armiger had the on/off option in platinum demo but it got scrapped when armiger chain got added in the main game.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I think being able to activate/deactivate it whenever you want would be a better option, I really hated how the armiger had the on/off option in platinum demo but it got scrapped when armiger chain got added in the main game.
Yeah, it could also just be a move done once the meter runs out. I doubt this interviewer is lying about what he's seeing haha

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Also another interesting point, the new DLC I guess will form a new story to bring the game to conclusion?

I wonder how Ardyn will pioneer this and how they will go about it all. I do hope it does at least have some improvements to the base game in some ways.

I'm not sure how Episode Ardyn and Luna could be connected in story if both are happening. Very interesting.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Also another interesting point, the new DLC I guess will form a new story to bring the game to conclusion?

I wonder how Ardyn will pioneer this and how they will go about it all. I do hope it does at least have some improvements to the base game in some ways.

I'm not sure how Episode Ardyn and Luna could be connected in story if both are happening. Very interesting.
maybe they'll deal with the daemons and starscourge, since both Ardyn and the oracles are linked to it.

JSmirks

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Feb 22, 2018

This part makes me nervous. I've been hoping that the 4 DLC will be seamlessly integrated into the base game, but this wording makes me feel like it'll be a separate series. I hope I'm wrong. I really want these story expansions to be through the eyes of Noctis to make the story more cohesive. For example, maybe in Episode Ardyn, Bahamut reveals to Noctis inside the crystal the events that led to Ardyn's demise. I honestly don't know what's going to happen at this point.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
This part makes me nervous. I've been hoping that the 4 DLC will be seamlessly integrated into the base game, but this wording makes me feel like it'll be a separate series. I hope I'm wrong. I really want these story expansions to be through the eyes of Noctis to make the story more cohesive. For example, maybe in Episode Ardyn, Bahamut reveals to Noctis inside the crystal the events that led to Ardyn's demise. I honestly don't know what's going to happen at this point.
With the way Noctis speaks to Ardyn in the pocket edition, I feel like that is extremely plausible (nobody else tells him that he was once a kind and noble king + the other stuff, it's weird). Remember, Tabata said he wants to stay away from separate character episodes. I just think these 4 will all have some sort of connection and underlying theme, perhaps not already in the original game, that when the base game is played with all 4 in mind, we see everything differently/much more clear.

Last edited:

JSmirks

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Feb 22, 2018
With the way Noctis speaks to Ardyn in the pocket edition, I feel like that is extremely plausible (nobody else tells him that he was once a kind and noble king + the other stuff, it's weird). Remember, Tabata said he wants to stay away from separate character episodes. I just think these 4 will all have some sort of connection and underlying theme, perhaps not already in the original game, that when the base game is played with all 4 in mind, we see everything differently/much more clear.
That is true. Good point. It'd be cool if they ran a past/present series of DLC where as we progress through the story we are revealed a string of events that set everything into motion. Ardyns fall -> his influence on Niflheim -> niflheim's conquest -> how Noctis/Luna were affected as a result -> Fall of Insomnia -> and so on. That would be a seamless way to run two parallel storylines and it would all conclude in one last big dlc. A man can dream.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
I actually really hope Ardyn covers both his past with his Brother/starscourge as well as Niflheim/Ifrit/Shiva 12 years prior to the start ofnthe game.

The former covers everything he is a villain and how this world came to be for the most part, while the latter has the opportunity to characterize Niflheim way better, have ifrit as a summon, and help put an end to Shiva before the game starts.

Hyperion

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Mar 8, 2018
First post! Had to join in on the conversation, so I decided to make an account.

Well, remember when Tabata asked about whether or not we'd want a "happy ending"? (unless I'm not remembering things correctly...) Maybe (and this is a real good stretch here) they plan to do something where the episodes have some sort of effect on the timeline we know about.

They DID say that they left the fate of Eos ambiguous at the end of Episode Ignis for a reason... So, if we were to take this at face value, then...

And there IS the whole Alternative Timeline picture that could also come into play... I'm just sayin', possibilities are there.

Another thing I find interesting is that Tabata is calling them "new experiences" rather than "new episodes". We got the Three Episodes because of narrative sake (because considering where the gap is, it'd be weird to just cut to the corresponding character for the entire time, unless they were to pull an FF8 with the flashbacks), so what would the new episodes consist of? Also, given the fact that Tabata is wanting to extend this up to 2019, that leaves the impression that these DLCs are going to be a pretty big undertaking, so we may be getting something much grander than a 3-5 hour experience as a character and calling it a day. That's the vibe I'm getting.

Though, the only way we'll know is once they decide to release the roadmap for the new stuff. It's too bad we don't have the ATRs any more, because these would be really good right about now.

Nariya36

Sphere Hunter
Feb 18, 2018
First post! Had to join in on the conversation, so I decided to make an account.

Well, remember when Tabata asked about whether or not we'd want a "happy ending"? (unless I'm not remembering things correctly...) Maybe (and this is a real good stretch here) they plan to do something where the episodes have some sort of effect on the timeline we know about.

They DID say that they left the fate of Eos ambiguous at the end of Episode Ignis for a reason... So, if we were to take this at face value, then...

And there IS the whole Alternative Timeline picture that could also come into play... I'm just sayin', possibilities are there.

Another thing I find interesting is that Tabata is calling them "new experiences" rather than "new episodes". We got the Three Episodes because of narrative sake (because considering where the gap is, it'd be weird to just cut to the corresponding character for the entire time, unless they were to pull an FF8 with the flashbacks), so what would the new episodes consist of? Also, given the fact that Tabata is wanting to extend this up to 2019, that leaves the impression that these DLCs are going to be a pretty big undertaking, so we may be getting something much grander than a 3-5 hour experience as a character and calling it a day. That's the vibe I'm getting.

Though, the only way we'll know is once they decide to release the roadmap for the new stuff. It's too bad we don't have the ATRs any more, because these would be really good right about now.
Theres an ATR this wednesday.