In what form do you think we'll get FFXII HD Remaster?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

In what form do you think we'll get FFXII HD Remaster?

• Total voters

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
Firstly, let's get one thing out the way. There will 100% definitely be a FFXII HD Remaster at some point in the future. There's no way Square Enix will leave a mainline FF game on the dead PS2 when no modern consoles are backwards compatible with PS2 discs. They have ported all other mainline FF games, some even more than once, so a FFXII HD Remaster is guaranteed in the near future.

I'm expecting FFXII HD Remaster to be announced in 2016, which is FFXII's 10th Anniversary. If you recall, FFX|X-2 HD Remaster was announced in 2011, which was FFX's 10th Anniversary.

Anyway, FFX|X-2 HD Remaster was released for PS3/PS Vita with new character models, HD textures, and some bloom lighting. On the other hand, FF Type-0 HD will release for PS4/Xbox One in full DirectX 11, meaning it will have graphics beyond what's possible on PS3/Xbox 360. Considering the vast difference between these two HD Remasters, in what form do you expect us to get FFXII HD Remaster?

Personally, FFXII HD Remaster is currently my most anticipated FF. :)

Last edited:

ChrisB

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 25, 2014
By the time it is released ps vita owners will not get a copy of this game as new games for this console will be non existence so we will have to fork out hundreds of pounds to get a ps4 or xbox one just to play this game

snow

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 29, 2013
The HD treatment for FFXII International would be better than what they did with FFX, i think.

It already looks great on the emulator in HD. Better than a lot of last-gen games.

PS4/ONE only most likely. 2016.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
PS4 and Vita, International Zodiac System with HD. I don't expect it will be on XBox One, but if it does it will still sell poorly on that console and we all wonder why they did it.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
Hopefully on the Vita. But I won't hold my breath.
That's the platform that both Yoshinori Kitase (FFX|X-2 HD Producer) and Hiroshi Minagawa (FFXII Director) have mentioned by name when asked about a potential FFXII HD, so I think it's the most likely platform for the game. That said, if the game ends up being a Vita exclusive, I will finally have a reason to buy one. :)

Oct 8, 2014
I think it will release before XVI on ps4. It will be used to build hype for XVI similar to Type-0 for XV. When XII came out i rented it but i wasnt crazy about it(only played it about 6 hrs). A few yrs later i wanted to give it another try b/c so many ppl loved it, but i didnt own a ps2 so i've never had the chance to play it again :( . I would love to have it on ps4 with full directx 11.

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
It's definitely coming, it's always been a matter of when. Since most HD remasters tend to come in a collection of 2 or more games, I'd really like to see an Ivalice Alliance type of collection, since the games all take place in more or less the same Ivalice. It ought to include FFXII Izjs version, Revenant Wings , & War of the Lions. An HD remaster of Vagrant Story would be an awesome bonus, but that would make too much sense for SE these days.

If I'd had to guess on a potential release, I'd say tail end of this gen. I don't see it getting announced at least a couple of years after XV has dropped. And seeing how SE is willing to port Type-0 (originally a PSP game to PS4), it's also likely to be for PS4/Vita.

Last edited:

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I want it on the Vita. X zoomed way up in my FF rankings because I was able to play it on my Vita; made a HUGE difference in the enjoyment factor for me (Japanese Tidus and Yuna's voices may have helped a bit too haha)-- I clocked in over 256 hours in one playthrough which I would never have been able to do otherwise. I'm sure FFXII will be the same. It wasn't one of my favorite Final Fantasies, but I'll be able to appreciate it more if I'm able to start/stop the game at any point anywhere and am not confined to my couch.

If it doesn't get released on the Vita, I'm not getting it.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
Lol, I'm being serious though. I never touched the PS3 versions of X/X-2 even though my sister bought them-- and now that I'm thousands of miles away from my PS3 I couldn't even if I wanted to. It will probably be at least 2 more years before I even consider getting a PS4; the only exclusive game that looks remotely interesting is XV and that isn't coming out for a while.

They really oughta release it on the Vita. The system is still alive in Japan and is getting way more games than the PS4.

By the time they announce a FFXII HD, what are the chances that the Vita has reached a point in its lifespan relative to how the market looks by 2016 that no major third party left will consider it a viable investment? Even if it still commands enough market share in Japan worth putting the game on, I'm not predicting the same fate for the western market, and I can easily see Square-Enix passing up on it.

To put Type-0 HD on PS4Bone could well have been down to their decision to include Episode Duscae with the package as well - thus exempting the Vita from such a privilege, not that it stopped SquareSoft from putting a FFX demo in copies of FFVI's PS1 port back in the day - but I still maintain that it was a decision also influenced by the state of the Vita in the west. Y'know, despite the relative success of FFX and X-2 on that very platform.

On the other hand, I don't know if SE will be willing to have every pre-FFXIII offline mainline Final Fantasy game available on Vita except FFXII. One can refute however, they haven't bothered to put things like Crisis Core up there, so jury's out on that one. That is also before speculating the problems of performance differences between a Vita version of the game and the inevitable PS4Bone versions of the game. To have them exist side by side, you'd expect parity between the versions, so I'm sceptical that SE would be willing to do that. It would be far easier to pass over the Vita and focus on a remaster work for the current generation machines akin to what they've been doing for Type-0.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
By the time they announce a FFXII HD, what are the chances that the Vita has reached a point in its lifespan relative to how the market looks by 2016 that no major third party left will consider it a viable investment? Even if it still commands enough market share in Japan worth putting the game on, I'm not predicting the same fate for the western market, and I can easily see Square-Enix passing up on it.

To put Type-0 HD on PS4Bone could well have been down to their decision to include Episode Duscae with the package as well - thus exempting the Vita from such a privilege, not that it stopped SquareSoft from putting a FFX demo in copies of FFVI's PS1 port back in the day - but I still maintain that it was a decision also influenced by the state of the Vita in the west. Y'know, despite the relative success of FFX and X-2 on that very platform.

On the other hand, I don't know if SE will be willing to have every pre-FFXIII offline mainline Final Fantasy game available on Vita except FFXII. One can refute however, they haven't bothered to put things like Crisis Core up there, so jury's out on that one. That is also before speculating the problems of performance differences between a Vita version of the game and the inevitable PS4Bone versions of the game. To have them exist side by side, you'd expect parity between the versions, so I'm sceptical that SE would be willing to do that. It would be far easier to pass over the Vita and focus on a remaster work for the current generation machines akin to what they've been doing for Type-0.
The thing is, a HD remaster is cheap - especially because all the localization exists. For instance, Type-0 coming over was canned because even though they'd already done a lot of work as they canned it, it was still a hell of a lot more expensive to bring that over than it was worth as a PSP-only title, given the PSP's situation in the West at the time. Even if the Vita is in a poor situation, a HD remaster is a lot less work - I mean, almost (all?) the voice exists anyway, for instance, and most of the text. Plus, given the architecture situation, if a Vita port is a quick/easy job, it just makes sense do it. They're hardly going to tailor a FF12 remaster to the power of the new gen consoles if they do it; if Type-0 proves anything, it's that they'll take the cheap option...

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
Yeah, speaking of pre-existing assets, wasn't the main reason why they took so long to make the HD versions of X/X-2 because they would routinely delete all their game assets or something? And that they were missing many of the original materials they had used in the game and essentially had to hack the disc to extract contents.

Do they still do that, and if not when did they decide that was a bad idea? (Obviously they held on to the XIII stuff to make sequels on the cheap) If they still have most of the original assets available from XII somewhere then it would be a lot cheaper to do an HD port.