Is it possible that some story can be 'missed'? NO SPOILERS

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Oct 2, 2016
Greetings,

NO STORY DETAILS DISCUSSED, but CRITIQUE and CONCERNS brought up below... I also really don't want to read any story details, but perhaps some re-assurance would help...

I've been reading spoiler-less impressions on various forums, and there is a general consensus among those who grabbed the game early that the story is not super thick, and there is a lack of fleshed-out cutscenes. A lot of the story is apparently told through car/exploration banter. So questions...

1. Is it possible that because the game design is open world, important or useful story-building scenes can be missed? Yes or no would suffice. Depending on the answer I may use a guide to ensure I get to see everything.

2. I saw the Active Time Report details today and saw that the Day1 patch is not yet complete, but perhaps would be come launch day. I wonder if that is perhaps one reason why some story elements felt less-fleshed out to first-adopters? Maybe the Kingsglaive scenes or extra scenes weren't yet patched in totally....

Thanks!

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
1) I don't know about permanently missable (though I'm assuming yes), but I've heard there are cutscenes that only trigger when certain conditions are met.

2) From what I've heard, the Kingsglaive and Omen scenes were included in the Day -9 patch, but I think the updated patch notes mentioned story/scenario changes beyond that, so updates are still possible.

Oct 2, 2016
Cool cool, i really hope so. Story and presentation of story is a big part of my final fantasy upbringing. I hope it works out in the end.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Yeah it's pretty easy to miss some cutscenes and story bits apparently.

But that's where exploration and taking your time with the game comes in. Fully immerse yourself, be curious, and you'll have a lot of fun + you'll find a lot of things on your way ;)

Rushing through the game would be the worst thing you can do, especially after having waited so long for this game.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Greetings,

NO STORY DETAILS DISCUSSED, but CRITIQUE and CONCERNS brought up below... I also really don't want to read any story details, but perhaps some re-assurance would help...

I've been reading spoiler-less impressions on various forums, and there is a general consensus among those who grabbed the game early that the story is not super thick, and there is a lack of fleshed-out cutscenes. A lot of the story is apparently told through car/exploration banter. So questions...

1. Is it possible that because the game design is open world, important or useful story-building scenes can be missed? Yes or no would suffice. Depending on the answer I may use a guide to ensure I get to see everything.

2. I saw the Active Time Report details today and saw that the Day1 patch is not yet complete, but perhaps would be come launch day. I wonder if that is perhaps one reason why some story elements felt less-fleshed out to first-adopters? Maybe the Kingsglaive scenes or extra scenes weren't yet patched in totally....

Thanks!
Having actually gone through the game's story by now (don't worry, I won't spoil anything), I can answer this:

1: Yes, it is possible to miss story elements that can be crucial, but not just through the interaction between dialogue triggers and the open world. There are far fewer traditional cutscenes, several story pieces and world building elements can be tucked away in optional dialogue, several significant events are related through interstitial screen text rather than cutscenes, and both the former and lore-related trivia are tucked away in item descriptions for things like the Armiger weapons. Think of it as Witcher 3 meets Dark Souls and The Last of Us.

2: I can't answer this fully, but I've seen the patched-in scenes. They really don't add much to the experience, and in a few cases are more confusing than anything else. Really, to have a hope of fully understanding and appreciating the game, you have to ignore SQEX's assurances to the contrary, and watch both Kingsglaive and Brotherhood.