Kingdom Hearts III

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
The only real thing I need to make sense of is the announcement trailer. Was that just to show that the game will happen and completely non-canon, or is it canon? If it's canon, they better be prepared to explain how the heck Master Keeper got there. I'm betting on non-canon though.
I'm betting they only intended to show the game will exist and will use that graphics style.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I'd like to take the time to quell everyone's negative opinions on the D23 trailer and post my analysis on what we saw and why you might be jumping the gun and how you might actually enjoy what you saw more when understood.

For this, I'll be paraphrasing from my comment I made on Nova Crystalis which you can see here if you're interested.

However, for this, I'll be putting in images to help with my explanation.

First off, here is a reference; the video on the Disney JP YouTube channel.
I will be linking specific time codes to this video while explaining, so feel free to view the video as you read.

First off, to clarify, this is pre-rendered footage. For anyone that might not know what that means, it's not actual gameplay, but a mockup of what the gameplay should look like. This is not in real time, and is, of course, all subject to change.

Right at the start, we see Sora, Donald and Goofy in Twilight Town. You can view this from 0:00 in the video, obviously.

On the lower right-hand corner we see the HP and MP bars for all three of the characters. Similar to previous Kingdom Hearts games, the HP and MP bars wrap around the character's face in a circle, and extend out the end in a straight line.

Unlike previous games, however, the character images are no longer drawn artwork, but animated 3D models of the characters faces, similar to Final Fantasy Versus XIII's older stat bars shown here:

However, differences between these are that the actions reflected in the models of Final Fantasy Versus XIII were animated to that of the actual character in game, and not just a looping animation as they are in the Kingdom Hearts III trailer. It's no surprise that they wouldn't be animating, as stated before, this is simply a demonstration video. However, it's implied that perhaps we'll see the same effect on the actual gameplay of Kingdom Hearts III, as we did in this early gameplay trailer of Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Now, onto something more interesting.

On the lower left-hand corner, we see the traditional command menu

The menus read as the following:
たたかう (Attack)
まほう (Magic)
アイテム (Item)
しょうかん (Summon)
As you probably will notice, nothing is new here.

0:16 - Next you will see a transition to Sora continuing to fight, but using two weapons that look like guns.
Take note of the command menu change

The name has changed to "TwoShoot Blaster", which makes sense, as Sora is holding two shooting weapons.
You should notice, the menu hasn't changed, and still reads as it does normally, this is intentional, and I will get to that in a second. The top decoration is similar to that of Kingdom Hearts II, where the command menu changed based on what world you were in (if you had the option enabled).

You should note, however, this is a much more minimalistic change, as only the top "banner" seems to take effect, and not the full command menu.

Most people are confused as to what "TwoShoot Blaster" is exactly. Well, one thing that you may not have noticed, is the orange bar located under the banner above the commands themselves. As time moves on, you'll notice the orange bar will slowly move down. Unfortunately, you have to look closely, as it doesn't move much over the course of the battle, and ends very quickly. However, you should be able to see it.

Some fans are disappointed to see a traditional command menu over the command deck from Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, as there is a large amount of flexibility to be had being able to switch playstyles and enter different modes to deal different attacks and finishers.

If you look at this image, you may notice a similarity

This is Wingblade, used by Ventus in Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. As you should notice, under the banner "Wingblade" you'll see a similar bar.

If you are familiar with the BBS battle system, you'll know that this is somewhat similar, but not exactly. You can view Wingblade here:
You'll notice that doing certain attacks will build up a bar that eventually will switch Command Styles.

It's possible, that "TwoShoot Blaster" is a form of command style without the use of a Command Deck. It could also be simply a Limit Break of some sort. We have no real way of knowing, but keep this in mind when you think of the possibilities. While I don't think Nomura will add in the command deck, I think he will take various aspects from BBS and DDD into Kingdom Hearts III that plays like the previous console games KH and KHII to not confuse fans of the console games.

Alright, moving on.

0:21 - You'll see here the introduction to "Pirate Ship". The command menu looks like this

The menu reads as follows:
ロールスプラッシュ (Roll Splash)
ジャンプオフ (Jump Off)

Roll Splash seems to be the main attack, and Jump Off seems to be a way to cancel this ability. Many are confused to as what this is. If you look under Pirate Ship, you'll notice a similar bar as TwoShoot Blaster, however this time in a light blue.

This seems to be like a Summon, as many people are suggesting. The bar also will slowly deplete, you will be able to notice this much more clearly on Pirate Ship.

0:33 - Here you will see "Big Magic Mountain" and the command menu looks like this:

レイドライド (Raid Ride?)
ジャンプドッジ (Jump Dodge)
ゲットオフ (Get Off)

The translation of the Raid Ride is not clear, as it's not really proper in any way, however, it seems like it might be a play on Strike Raid while being on the ride as the main attack for Big Magic Mountain.

Jump Dodge seems to be a way to avoid attacks on the train itself, likely being shown off at 0:52 in the video.

Now, the most important thing to notice here, is the "Get Off" command. I see a lot of people assume that the Rock Titan battle is some on-rails boss and how crappy this is. Please realize, that this is simply a summon type of ability, that is time sensitive, and isn't the only way to attack the Rock Titan. More on that in a second.

More in Big Magic Mountain than any other of these abilities will you be able to notice the time bar, as seen throughout the entire scene, and more noticeably at the jump cut at 1:10, the bar is significantly lower.

Again, this shows that this is an ability, not the only way to fight this enemy.

To further show this, I will show you the definitive proof of this. If you watch closely at the command menu at 1:15 and on till the white fade out, you will notice this:

As Sora, Donald and Goofy jump off the train, the Big Magic Mountain menu slides away to the left side, and the normal command menu slides in its place!

This shows that once you exit the summon either with time expiration or the use of "Get Off" or "Jump Off", you can continue to attack as normal!

Please understand this, as many of you are frustrated that the battles seem gimmicky because of this, but now you will hopefully see that this is a choice you can make, not something that is required, making these two summon type abilities, much more pleasing, don't you think?

Thank you for taking the time to read my large explanation/analysis post of the Kingdom Hearts D23 trailer.

Please, if you have any thoughts or ideas on what something might be, I'd love to read them.

Also let me know what you think about Command Styles being in the form of something like TwoShoot Blaster in Kingdom Hearts III.

I hope that this clears up some confusion to those fans that are disappointed by things they were unclear about.

Thank you for reading!

Tani

Yevonite
Oct 25, 2013
India
www.facebook.com
That was an Excellent Explanation @LeonBlade Loved it!
As for the game, i am super excited about it and not the least bit disappointed by the new trailer. I do hope Utada Hikaru comes back at least one last time for Kingdom Hearts 3. That would make it even better!

calliopium

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 26, 2013
I would love to see Rinoa appear in KHIII! I'd also like to see Ashe or Balthier, and any of the XIII crew. While Lightning is probably most likely, I think any of the others could conceivably work, especially Hope or Vanille. Hahaha, can you imagine if Superpope showed up? I'm pretty sure there's a 0% likelihood of that happening but I'd probably spend the entire time alternating between laughter and NOT YOU AGAIN >8|

As for worlds, Taaaaaangled. Oh, and Princess and the Frog! Well. New Orleans.

(Also Kairi as a playable character would be really great, Square. Just, you know, putting it out there.)

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
One flaw KH has had imo in most titles is that you can only play as Sora. It would be sooooo awesome to play as any other character that joins your team when you go to their world or even Donald and Goofy.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I wonder if they'll do that purely because they're doing that in FF15 and maybe they'll want to try to differentiate the two a bit... But, hmm. Perhaps more sections where you play as a different crew, rather than switching characters on the fly.