Let´s replay Final Fantasy: FINAL FANTASY IX

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
I just did all the Hot n Cold stuff that I can. Tommorow I'll get Quina, learn her magics and instantly after, I'll ger into the Grotto!

I am working on video that features a smart way to defeat them by taking advantage of one of Quina's Blue magic
I'm quite curious if it's not the way that I usually use to take them down... It would be nice if indeed there is another way!

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
@Leon Aether: come on dont hold out on us, what is the way you usually use to take them down? or do you mean the way you take them down once your level is high enough? Dont tease like that :p

Also I´d like to ask a favor. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Quinas blue magic. Personally I will not use her in my main party but still she could be a major asset for situations like these. Could you from now on do me the favor to point out whenever there is new important blue magic to learn in an area? I´d be very grateful for that.

@Nikolasvanitas: looking forward to it :) Having a way to defeat those things already at this point in the game would surely be a great oppertunity for power-levelling !

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Also I´d like to ask a favor. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Quinas blue magic. Personally I will not use her in my main party but still she could be a major asset for situations like these. Could you from now on do me the favor to point out whenever there is new important blue magic to learn in an area? I´d be very grateful for that.
Sure! Well the next big spells are Eaten in Cleyra. White Wind from Zuu, Matra Magic from Dragon Fly and Auto-Life from Carrion Worm if I remember the names correctly. Burmecia gives you Magic Hammer from Magic Vice. Just use some of this Hammer 3-4 times on Beatrix and she'll be crying for her 0 mp! She will be able to only attack you. No Shocks! Nothing! Although she can finish her battles as always... Another nice spell which I suppose you have taken already is Vanish from Vice and Mighty Guard from Serpion outside of Lindblum. Aqua Breath and the rest are nice spells too especially for disc 2..

To be honest I find her spells pretty handy even for the very last boss, but still there are better options. That's true, and that's why I got her in my party to Necron only once... For Ozma though she is the best option in my opinion! Again that hammer makes things funny and easy! Ozma will keep doing nothing without MP. :D

come on dont hold out on us, what is the way you usually use to take them down? or do you mean the way you take them down once your level is high enough? Dont tease like that :p
Hehe I'm a teaser! Well, I know one way that I use here and there just for fun. It's risky though. Have Quina with 1 hp left in your party, enter battle and let her use her Limit Glove, along with one-two Vivi's Blizzaras... Bye bye Grand Dragon...
To have Quina with 1 hp, there are three ways. 1) Just luck if she doesn't die and she is left with 1hp (not gonna happen), 2) Cast Matra Magic on her and then use Limit Glove (so only in disc 2, exit Cleyra and head again for Grotto), 3) Cast Auto-life on her and when she gets revived after death use Limit Glove (again on disc 2)... It's risky and needs HUGE LUCK!
I'm curious for Nikola's way...

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Sure! Well the next big spells are Eaten in Cleyra. White Wind from Zuu, Matra Magic from Dragon Fly and Auto-Life from Carrion Worm if I remember the names correctly. Burmecia gives you Magic Hammer from Magic Vice. Just use some of this Hammer 3-4 times on Beatrix and she'll be crying for her 0 mp! She will be able to only attack you. No Shocks! Nothing! Although she can finish her battles as always... Another nice spell which I suppose you have taken already is Vanish from Vice and Mighty Guard from Serpion outside of Lindblum. Aqua Breath and the rest are nice spells too especially for disc 2..

To be honest I find her spells pretty handy even for the very last boss, but still there are better options. That's true, and that's why I got her in my party to Necron only once... For Ozma though she is the best option in my opinion! Again that hammer makes things funny and easy! Ozma will keep doing nothing without MP. :D
whoa, whoa slow down ;) I meant if you could point it out if there are spells to learn if we enter an area, not all in advance^^

You can use magic hammer on Ozma? That works? How many times do you have to use it until he has 0 MP ? Unfortunately Quina will be VERY low level once I am at Ozma so he´ll probably kill her just by looking at her lol

The tip with Beatrix is a great one though! Ha and many of the blue magic spells sound remarkably like enemy skills in FF VII (Matra Magic, White Wind etc.)^^

But I dont have Vanish or Mighty Guard. You only told me about the blue magic you learn outside of Lindblum from Spiders, Axe Beaks and Bombs! Thats why I asked you to tell us when and where there are blue magic spells that can be eaten.

Hehe I'm a teaser! Well, I know one way that I use here and there just for fun. It's risky though. Have Quina with 1 hp left in your party, enter battle and let her use her Limit Glove, along with one-two Vivi's Blizzaras... Bye bye Grand Dragon...
To have Quina with 1 hp, there are three ways. 1) Just luck if she doesn't die and she is left with 1hp (not gonna happen), 2) Cast Matra Magic on her and then use Limit Glove (so only in disc 2, exit Cleyra and head again for Grotto), 3) Cast Auto-life on her and when she gets revived after death use Limit Glove (again on disc 2)... It's risky and needs HUGE LUCK!
I'm curious for Nikola's way...
Okay that sounds like a LOT of work indeed.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
You guys use Tents on certain bosses? Very helpful in the Gizamaluke's Grotto boss fight, ensuring a safe and easy chance to steal his stuff!

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
I reached the next checkpoint outside of Burmecia. Party is about Lv. 16, I collected some pretty sweet Blue magic spells such as Mighty Guard and Aqua Breath.

Something pretty funny happened during gameplay. Vivi ended up needing only 1 Exp to the next level lol.

The Gizamaluke fight was really easy. I just used Zidanes Soulblade to blind him, cast Mighty Guard with Quina and then stole all of the bosses items (especially the Ice Staff for Vivi is fantastic - it teaches him Blizzara) while focusing with Vivi and then finishing the boss off. None of my party members were ever really in any danger.

That moogle couple in the Grotto is so funny hahaha. That moment when the Kupo Nut loving husband moogle lifts the entire bell that even zidane thought they couldnt lift and then took off hahaha. Its those funny-cute moments that make FF IX something really unique.

Best thing was the moogles line "I am kupo for Kupo-Nuts!" I was on the floor laughing haha.

After I left the Grotto, I located the next treasure with Choco which turned him blue and then I backtracked all the way back to Chocobo Forest to call Choco there since I was now able to get several treasures that I couldnt get before. Among other very useful items such as Ethers, Elixirs and such I got also a Magician Robe and an Oak Staff (gives Vivi Bio, Drain and Stop). Very cool!

Afterwards I made my way back to Burmecia and saved at the checkpoint.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
You can use magic hammer on Ozma? That works? How many times do you have to use it until he has 0 MP ? Unfortunately Quina will be VERY low level once I am at Ozma so he´ll probably kill her just by looking at her lol
I don't remember how many times, but since the hammer consumes only 2MP... Well just hit that ball until it becomes helpless!

After I left the Grotto, I located the next treasure with Choco which turned him blue and then I backtracked all the way back to Chocobo Forest to call Choco there since I was now able to get several treasures that I couldnt get before. Among other very useful items such as Ethers, Elixirs and such I got also a Magician Robe and an Oak Staff (gives Vivi Bio, Drain and Stop). Very cool!
It's indeed a very nice way to learn some spells a lot earlier, but to be honest I never used the Oak staff on Disc One, as I had to learn all three elemental magic spells first (Blizzara etc...) so I had never time to equip it... :(

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
yeah the playthrough is currently really really dragging. Phoenix and nikolas havent posted for quite some time either. I dont wanna pressure anybody again but waiting at one checkpoint for 3 days isnt gonna work out in the long run, I´m afraid. Its why Azuardo dropped out and I am starting to understand why.

Phoenix

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 28, 2013
I have made the checkpoint, I just haven't had the time to post lately. Don't have any screenshots today as they're on a different computer, if I get a chance after work I'll post some.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
It's really touph for me and I'm really sorry! Bur it's not like I'm bored or anything. Lessons and studying take much time! I currently learn Quina's last magics and I'll head into the Grotto in a few hours. Please understand, as much as we want to participate and enjoy this even more, it's impossible to drop out other duties...

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Yeah me too...

Anyways! I finally reached the checkpoint. I cannot upload images because I rashed this and I didn't have time. My party is at lvl 13-15 right now and I think I miss a chocograph... Gizamaluke's items are in my inventory and he should be dead... I suppose. No grand dragons challenges this time! I prefer sticking in the main story for now!:cool:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
@Nikolasvanitas I've got it. Just studied the URLs you've been using for your images and you need to get rid of this part for it to work:
Code:
http://1.1.1.5/bmi/
Remove that from your image links and it should display correctly.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
yeah I cant see these images either. I always use postimage.com, which is a very small and easy but great hosting service. Works flawlessly for me.

I am glad nikolas and Leon have finally reached the checkpoints , leaving only buddhafied.

I do understand that you guys have very little time and are very busy and of course you cant help that. I dont fault you for that. But you also must understand that it severely derails the playthrough if by now we need 3-4 days until everyone reached a checkpoint. That just doesnt work. It completely ruins the flow. You can already see it here. Everyone just rushes to the checkpoint and doesnt even take the time (because they dont have the time) to talk about their playthrough anymore. There is no game discussion going on here anymore at all, its just rushing from checkpoint to checkpoint. And on top of that it takes 3-4 days to reach checkpoints now.

I want to quote some passages from the original post about the rules:

However while everyone is free to explore and do as much as they want there is of course a limit of waiting time at the checkpoints. Once the majority of players has reached the checkpoints (until only 1 or 2 players are left who havent reached it yet) the remaining players who havent reached it need to stop what they are doing (unless they are already following the main story to that checkpoint) and need to start to make their way to the checkpoint ASAP. This will only be the case though if the majority of players has already waited a significant amount of time for the remaing players. generally players should not rush too fast through the game or be too slow so that we all have more or less the same gaming speed and reach the checkpoints together within a few hours.
The original intent was for everyone to reach the checkpoint in a few hours. I was later aware that we need to extend that because of some peoples real lifer schedules so I extended that to about 24 hours. Not a big deal if its occasionally a few hours more than that. But thats really the limit. Now we regularly wait at checkpoints for almost half a week.

Again I do understand your busy schedules but also one of the things that was made very clear early on was to participate in the playthrough you need to have sufficient time for it. Clearly this isnt the case anymore with some people. I dont blame anyone for that, its just how it is. Maybe some of you need to face the fact that you dont have the sufficient time for doing this playthrough properly. I mean you see yourself that the delay gets enormous and completely derails the flow of it. And it technically also breaks the established rules. 3-4 days at checkpoints was never agreed on.

And here is another major point:

The main purpose of the project is to experience the game together so all players should regularly post about their progress, thoughts and adventures in this thread
Obviously this is more and more fading away. While in the beginning there was lots of discussion and talk about the players progress and a great experience of the game together, this has almost vanished completely except for some discussions between Leon and myself. Again this is a result of your overly busy real life schedules and again I dont blame you for that. But it cant be denied either. But the fact is that right now a lot of you just rush to the checkpoint and there is not really a common experience of the game anymore. Its turned into a race. And that is not nor should it ever be the purpose of this project.

In any case we cant continue like this. To be honest, I already finished Disc I by now because I dont wanna wait 3 days until I can continue. The original intent of the playthrough project was for us to experience this game together and share our adventure with each other. Thats not happening anymore. And the intent was as stated in the rules to reach checkpoints within a day not half a week.

I am not attacking anybody. But you need to ask yourself if you really do have sufficient time to do this playthrough as it was intended to be or not. If we keep going like this, it will benefit nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.