Let´s Replay Final Fantasy: General Discussion & Voting (Poll)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Which Final Fantasy game do you want us to play through together first?

• Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Final fantasy IX

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Great :) Who else wanted to join in? Do you guys remember? I think gaiages said he´d be in. Were there others? I cant quite remember and the original thread is gone so I cant check :(

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
There were definitely more. And when you consider 10 people voted for FFIX, there should really be at least that many.

It's fine, though. They'll pop in eventually, and see the new topic that will be made. People can just join in whenever, anyway.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Actually they cant. Once we start we cant wait for any new players. How do I explain this? Uhm..an example:

we are already in Burmecia when suddenly new players want to join the project as well. then we would have to wait until they reach Burmecia as well and it gets even more difficult once we are far advanced in the game. I guess its okay if some players play so much and so fast that they can catch up with us but we cant wait for new players who just started the game when we are already far in. That doesnt work out.

Which is why I wanted to assemble all those who will participate first, so we have a fixed group of players to look out for and consider during the playthrough that we´ll wait for on the checkpoints. Otherwise this could become a mess pretty quickly with new players constantly entering that were not "registered" and those whow ere registered having to wait for them. That doesnt work out, I´m afraid. At some point we need to say "okay thats the group of players and if anyone wants to join in later he can but we cant wait around for them"

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
I'm going to do the Low Level Challenge just to have some (excruciating) fun.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Hmm, well, I think it's okay if they do play quickly enough to catch up, but I think it's natural that some people will always be behind others, too, so I think it'd be alright if they want to talk about their playthrough and discuss with us even if they don't still manage to keep up. I'm sure the majority of us will be able to keep on the same page, though; especially if we're playing in very short bursts.

I'm going to do the Low Level Challenge just to have some (excruciating) fun.
Nice! Any specific rules to that? E.g. are you actually ensuring you remaing the lowest possible level throughout, or are you giving yourself leeway and just trying to remain at a consistently low level?

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Nice! Any specific rules to that? E.g. are you actually ensuring you remaing the lowest possible level throughout, or are you giving yourself leeway and just trying to remain at a consistently low level?
I've done it before. You flee from every battle. I was at the last boss with a party of Level 1 characters. The bosses don't give EXP.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
the whole point of the checkpoints is that some people wont get too far ahead of others. So those who are with us from the start wont get left behind. Of course everybody is free to join in, I am just saying that we can only wait for those who are with us from the start.

Oh yeah the low level challenges. I did that with VII and VIII once (VIII without using junctions) - well cant really say that was much fun. More often frustration lol. I think doing that once was enough for me. Plus this is actually my first playthroughs of IX (and VII) on my current PS3 and much like with my VIII playthrough where I did everything, got everything and maxed out everything I want them to be the "perfect runs". basically the best playthroughs I ever have ever done of these games, which is quite a challenge in itself.

I remember when I first played VIII in 1999, I unintentionally did the low level challenge myself because I had missed lots of GF and didnt really fully understand the junction system and as a result was enormously underpowered to the point where it became impossible to beat Adel. And even bossfights like Seifer and Edea were ULTRA hard. Now of course I cant even imagine how they were ever that hard since I basically take out Seifer and Edea with 1 or 2 hits lol. But thats the great thing about the junction system or really all the gameplaysystems in FF. Depending on you use them, the game can be either easy or at least a reasonable difficulty (optional bosses not included) or super hard.

Azuardo raised a good point there about the length of the playing segments between each checkpoints. I think making them too short can get tiresome because I dont think we dont want to pause our game every 30 minutes or so. But making the segments too long will cause too long waiting times at the checkpoints. we need to find something in between. Thoughts?

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
FFVIII had the absolute easiest low level challenge since the enemies scale. For checkpoints, we should consider stopping after a boss fight. Either that or getting to a new area.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
FFVIII had the absolute easiest low level challenge since the enemies scale. For checkpoints, we should consider stopping after a boss fight. Either that or getting to a new area.
That, or reaching actual planned specific locations/events as checkpoints.

e.g.
Checkpoint 1: Play up to Dali.
Checkpoint 8: Eiko joins party.

Or something similar.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
@Zack: Still back in 1999, FF VIII was frustratingly hard for me to beat with an underpowered party. Generally low level runs are an additional challenge but its not something i am fond of or have much fun with at all, also because I like it when my party is well equipped and powerful as a result of my hard work. Thats kinda the point of RPG for me. And fleeing from battles is boring :p And like I said I am aiming for a perfect playthrough here.

Well a checkpoint after each boss is a great idea. generally I think the checkpoints should be set once you reach a certain save point so you can save your game at each checkpoint. maybe once you reach the first save point or worldmap after you defeat a boss?

then the FF IX checkpoints would be (not fixed yet but just a suggestion):

DISC I

1. after defeating Plant Brain and reach world map

2. Right before you go below Dali at the Inn savepoint.

3. Right after the Hunting Festival in Lindblum , once you reach worldmap again.

4. After beating Gizamaluke, once you reach world map

5. After completing Disc I

DISC II

1. After beating the bosses with Dagger, Steiner and Marcus and once you are back with Zidane and co. on world map

2. After Cleyra is destroyed and you reach the moogle on the "Red Rose"

3. After you save Dagger from Brahne and reach the moogle at Pinnacle Rocks

4. After beating Rani in Fossil Roo and reach worldmap again.

5. After reaching Madain Sari for the 1st time

6. After defeating Soulcage and returning to Madain Sari

7. After completing Disc II

DISC III

1. After Bahamut vs Alexander battle, first moogle once you are back at Lindblum.

2. First moogle after you enter Kujas hideout

3. First moogle after beating Ark in Oeil Vert

4. First moogle after reaching Esto Gaza

5. First moogle after obtaining Eidolon Maduin

6. First moogle after saving Amarand in Ipsens Castle.

7. First moogle after reaching Terra

8. First moogle after Zidane reunites with everyone in Pandemonium (after the bosses he initially fights alone)

9. After completing Disc III

DISC IV

Okay now its getting a bit more complicated because now begins what I call the "Final preperation" phase which is the time where I max out the characters, get all the best possible weapons, equipment, spells, summons etc.(which I dont have yet) and take on the optional bosses (in this case Ozma)

Since there are different ways how players can now complete all thats left before entering Iifar Tree again for the final boss battles, there should be no more checkpoints from here on out. Some will want to do the hotncold minigame first, others might want to beat Hades first, complete sidequests etc.

So I suggest we just meet up here regularly during that phase to talk about our individual progress and once everyone has completed everything he wishes to complete we then return to crystal together for the final battles which will conclude the playthrough.

That´d be my suggested roadmap :) Agree? Disagree? More ideas? Want something to be different? Fire away :)

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
I think we are ok with this plan. Though we can put some more checkpoints in between considering all the sidequests and training which take some time! I usually do every chocobo related stuff when I get the chance and the game permits it, for instance right after Lindblum.
Plus a simple question... Do you get Quina in Disc One or Two? I usually get her in One, as I can EAT more abilities. And I ask that because having Quina early game in party makes it difficult to level up and training takes more time...
Aaaah! This brings back so many memories! That game! I'm so thrilled again!

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
I am aware that some players might wanna tackle sidequests as early as possible. I will do some of it myself as early as possible such as Hotn Cold. But that doesnt really affect the checkpoints since we we wont continue until everyone has reached the checkpoint. Putting in more checkpoints just adds more waiting time and I cant really create checkpoints for farming, grinding or sidequests because I cant dictate other players to farm, grind or do sidequests at a certain point. Thats up to them. the checkpoints are for the narrative that we all follow.

as for Quina, there is only one spot where I use Quina in the game and thats in the Earth Shrine (simply because I have to). I dont like her very much and instead Zidane, Vivi, Steiner, Dagger and Eiko are always my party candidates which is already one too much. I am still undecided which one of them to remove from the main party this time. Zidane and Steiner are in it for sure (I generally prefer swordfighters and physical attackers) and at least one of the summoners (probably Eiko who can do Holy). means I still have to decide between Dagger and Vivi, who both have their great advantages. Definitely no room for Quina there and I would prefer Freya and Amarand over her anyway. So I will get Quina on disc 1 but I will not ever level her up deliberately.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Plan seems good to me.

And yeah, people should be able to do whatever they want during the game, so long as they don't go past the checkpoints until we're all ready again. So whilst some of us wait, we can be grinding or side-questing or doing whatever. How we all proceed and determine when and what we all do will be part of the fun in discussion!

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Yeah I absolutely agree, thats my intent as well. I dont want to tell people how to play the game, each players should be allowed to have absolute freedom in how they play. Its only the story that will serve as checkpoints for everybody. So I am getting the vibe that everyone agrees with the list of checkpoints I made?

Phoenix

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 28, 2013
I like it. They look reasonable and like it wouldn't take too long to get from one to the next, even for us working types.

So when are we starting this thing?

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Well in my 27-28 playthroughs I did decide once to take Quina with me and I enjoyed it to Necron. However it never happened again, nor will, I suppose. I was just reffering to when she will get recruitable.

I would suggest we start tomorrow, if thats okay for all those who take part in it.
Sure. Fine by me! Just a question... Where and when do we write about our progress? In this thread and when reaching a chekpoint, or should we write also in between checkpoints?

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Sure. Fine by me! Just a question... Where and when do we write about our progress? In this thread and when reaching a chekpoint, or should we write also in between checkpoints?
New thread will be made.

I think I'll just write as I go - posting random thoughts here and there as I come across them. Writing a summary of thoughts at each checkpoint might be preferrable for some, though. Whatever takes your fancy, I guess!

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
yes I will open a new thread in a moment and people are of course free to post whenever they want. The important thing is that they post as often as possible about their playthrough so that we get a ongoing conversation flowing. I say I would make it as a "rule" that upon reaching a checkpoint is the latest point that one should post but he can post of course between them as well. But it would be bad if people wouldnt post until they reach the 3rd checkpoint or so, I want to avoid that.