Let's talk about the worst Final Fantasy characters

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
Okay, you knew this was coming. We have a favorites thread so it's only fair we have a thread to talk about our "least favorites" in the series.

For me, it's Lightning and it didn't used to be that way. Only when Square Enix decided to over-expose her for the past 7 years did it become painfully apparent that they were trying to recreate another "Cloud" type character except she lacks many of the interesting character development and qualities he at least had. Shoving her into games like FF14 where she doesn't exactly fit with the lore is just one example in a line of many that prove SE just doesn't get it. People are tired - yes some people love her - but if we're to look at the massive 75% sales drop from FFXIII to XIII-2 - many people did not.

Lightning started off decent in FFXIII but by the time you realize her story is going no where and she's nothing but an angry, shallow siscon who decided suddenly that she was going to take down the whole world anyway, the game is already over. Her Japanese portrayal isn't nearly as bad, but good god is her English voice actor boring and a central part to my irritation as well as the awful writing by one Daisuke Watanabe and Motomu Toriyama.

Calling the XIII series the "Lightning Saga" is almost like if SE would have called FF12 and its sequel the "Vaan Saga" because ultimately she had just as much relevancy as he did in the original game and even less so in the sequel. Of course, now she has her own solo adventure in Lightning Returns but really... at this point I would have loved to see those game concepts go into something fresh. The narrative and characters aren't going to get any better and from what I've seen and played of the game the only decent part of it is turning out to be its battle systems. Nothing on Earth is going to change the cringe-worthy, juvenile dialogue we've already seen in almost every trailer - and the Japanese script isn't any better either. It's high time single player Final Fantasy shed the past 7 years behind it - and that means getting away from Lightning once and for all.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I didn't like Hope very much in FF13, he sorta redeemed himself in 13-2. He just moped around too much in the first game He reminded me too much of a Kingdom hearts character and at the time I was tired of KH, so that probably left a worst impression then it should of been.

I didn't mind him in XIII-2. He was pretty annoying in the first game though.
I loved 13/13-2 let me preface my statements by saying that. I would have enjoyed his character so much more if he lost both his parents in 13 ( it sounds horrible) but I felt it would have made him a better character.

The second they went on a mission to get him "home" I thought any chance he had to be a badass was gone, which is sort of what I wanted.

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
For me, I think the worst character in Final Fantasy was Guy from II. He seemed like a really bad caricature of someone with a mental handicap, and his apparent ability to talk to animals really struck me as poor writing. I really hated Waka from X too. I think he was written pretty well, but that religious zealotry REALLY sets me off. I thought Hope's dad in XIII could have been written a little better, as I didn't really feel for him at all. My heart went out to Hope because I've shared a similarly painful experience, but with Bartholomew I just kind of went... "Do you really care about your kid? Are you really all that broken up about your wife dying?" I think part of it might have been the English voice actor- I never really felt real pain in his voice.

Last but not least, the English portrayal of Barett from VII was really abysmal as far as I'm concerned. I dunno how he was in the Japanese, but in the NA version I feel he was the biggest, worst stereotype of the entire series.

Sep 26, 2013
Sometimes I feel like I'm the sole fan of Hope, and Vaan too. :(
Maybe if Vaan was replaced with a character creator, then people wouldn't hate him so much. :p The guy is basically a vessel people ride around in and see the world through his eyes. In other words, the player is Vaan and personally, I'd like to look bit cooler then that. ;)

But I hate Hope. Just simply annoying. I wanted to punch him in the face. I wasn't rooting for him. I was rooting for Sephiroth to jump in and finish him off! FFXIII overused emotion, which ended up making a lot of the characters annoying and hard to take seriously.

Kagari

神羅カンパニー社長
Administrator
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
United States
www.novacrystallis.com
Maybe if Vaan was replaced with a character creator, then people wouldn't hate him so much. :p The guy is basically a vessel people ride around in and see the world through his eyes. In other words, the player is Vaan and personally, I'd like to look bit cooler then that. ;)

But I hate Hope. Just simply annoying. I wanted to punch him in the face. FFXIII overused emotion, which ended up making a lot of the characters annoying and hard to take seriously.
I believe they call that melodrama, and you're right.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
The entire cast of FFX save for Auron, although Auron has his weird moments as well. I didn't find the rest of them likable, and for the most part, sat through most of the game with a perplexed look on my face.

Tidus with his grating voice and being a worthless character, Wakka with his dumb beachball, Lulu for liking the guy with his dumb beachball, Yuna and her penchant for marrying obviously evil guys, Kimahri for being useless, Rikku for being Rikku, Seymour for being the absolute worst bad guy in the series... yeah.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
The entire cast of FFX save for Auron, although Auron has his weird moments as well. I didn't find the rest of them likable, and for the most part, sat through most of the game with a perplexed look on my face.
Really? Not even Wakka? I cant imagine what the laughing scene must of looked to you.

AuroraXIII

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 26, 2013
New Zealand
But I hate Hope. Just simply annoying. I wanted to punch him in the face. I wasn't rooting for him. I was rooting for Sephiroth to jump in and finish him off! FFXIII overused emotion, which ended up making a lot of the characters annoying and hard to take seriously.
Hope grinded my gears as well sometimes, but he was much better in the sequel!

The late FFXIII trailers emphasised the melodrama a lot, and they were especially painful to watch with that awful theme music they licensed.
It made the game seem really unappealing to me. I'm surprised it still managed to sell six million after that sort of marketing.