MOBIUS Final Fantasy Thoughts.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
I've spent a good amount of time with the game so far and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't played, let alone enjoyed a mobage like this in years. Kitase's team did a phenomenal job. Here's a synopsis/review? of the game for those interested but haven't played.

Gameplay:
Mobius was developed on FFXIIILR's engine, but it was completely optimized for mobile. Everything just feels /right/
FFM does well to not suffer from the awkwardness that most mobage tend to run into, by maintaining a simple interface in combat: Tapping the screen does Melee attack. Holding the circle near HP opens the Element Drive window, tapping the icons on the right-side of the screen (when highlighted) activates abilities.
  • There's a great depth of strategy involved in Mobius, it essentially follows the pattern of battle present in FFXIIILR: Exploit enemy vulnerabilities to achieve "BREAK" (Stagger).
  • You get 3 moves per turn, it's not ATB based, nor real-time like XIIILR was.
  • Auto-Battle is a thing for those who want progress with low immersion/effort.
  • You can set different skills to use outside of your basic melee attack by customizing your Card Deck.
  • Skills in battle cost a set amount of Skill Seeds to use. You build up skill seeds by landing melee strikes on your opponent, the amount/element of seeds you get is RNG. How you spend the skill seeds is where the meta-game shifts a bit.
  • Skill Seeds can be used for attack skills/magic skills, they can be used for general buffing called "Element Drive", or simply used to heal HP. Alternatively, unused skill seeds go into your inventory after battle and can be used for ability synthesis.
  • Character ability customization is very reminiscent of KH:CoM in that there is emphasis on deck-building. For each deck (maximum of 3) you have 5 card slots. The first slot is always reserved for job/class card. The remaining slots are reserved for abilities.
  • Overworld (outside of dungeons) acts as the hub for you to interact with the profiles of other players.
  • Stamina based Mobage. Stamina drops after each battle, but leveling up raises stamina. When low on Stamina, you have to wait a set amount of time for it to refill (Typical mobage stuff).

Soundtrack:
Suzuki composed, so the OST here is nothing but amazing BGM after BGM. It's also very diverse, multiple field battle themes and boss themes. I'd remain idle in battles just to take in the music lol.

Story:
I'll refrain from speaking on this as I don't want to spoil for those playing. But even so, I'm still very early in game so I couldn't say much anyways.

TL;DR: Game is good

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I'll wait for the English version, I was gonna check it out but the download time was crazy (I mean the in-game one after you start the game). Seems like it's a hefty game and not just some throwaway game, so I'll be interested to check it out to be honest.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Looks like this game will interest me better that Record Keeper. I love me some RPG mekanix

So microtransactions only apply to stamina? I assumed you'd also be able to pay to gain access to better decks.
You can buy elixirs to replenish stamina, but it's not necessary. I binged the game for several hours without noticing that my stamina was dropping. Doesn't take very long to recover either.
You can buy Card Boxes (which can be found in Overworld), but the contents of those boxes is RNG, so you may not always get anything worthwhile. "Tickets" (found in Overworld chests, rare enemy drop, probably a log-in bonus too) allows you to circumvent actual costs on certain shop items by using an pre-determined amount of them per transaction.

I'll wait for the English version, I was gonna check it out but the download time was crazy (I mean the in-game one after you start the game). Seems like it's a hefty game and not just some throwaway game, so I'll be interested to check it out to be honest.
Yeah that install is quite the wait, I was scared that we were already getting an update cause I got the loading screen again last time I logged in, but it wasn't, thank goodness.

Ah, that sucks. Usually you'd at least get the core team in an intro or something.
Ahhh, I actually think there may have been a small credit roll in the intro, but I didn't pay much attention as the intro happens during the data install screen.

accel

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Mar 21, 2015
I'm hoping for some kind of announcement at E3 confirming a localization.
Seems like this is a pretty big project (for a mobile game), so I guess it would be strange to not bring it over.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I'm hoping for some kind of announcement at E3 confirming a localization.
Seems like this is a pretty big project (for a mobile game), so I guess it would be strange to not bring it over.
I´m not sure if the western will be interseted, like the only westerns that would pick this game would be those who follows SE. I will.

accel

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Mar 21, 2015
I´m not sure if the western will be interseted, like the only westerns that would pick this game would be those who follows SE. I will.
They even localized the entire trilogy of Chaos Rings, games that IMO have minor chances of success than Mobius in the west. Just the FINAL FANTASY name in the product would help the sales.
I'm pretty optimistic about this.

Jun 10, 2015
How do we unlock more class cards?
and how do I download the HD version say if I decided to reinstall the game again. Will it run well in iPad 3 :O

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
How do we unlock more class cards?
and how do I download the HD version say if I decided to reinstall the game again. Will it run well in iPad 3 :O
You should be able to get more through simple game progression, finding them in random chests, etc.
I can't say for certain though since I haven't played lately, Mobius uses up way too much data.
Alternatively, card boxes and player deck exchange should yield those as well.

The game is compatible with iPad so it should work. The game is dependent upon your wifi/data connection to run well, so bad connection = poor experience.

Jagraj

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jun 15, 2015
Love the game so far. Really would like to know the story but the gameplay is addictive, fast pace. I do want to see how weapons work as well and upgrading jobs but great game so far!

Jul 5, 2015
You can buy elixirs to replenish stamina, but it's not necessary. I binged the game for several hours without noticing that my stamina was dropping. Doesn't take very long to recover either.
That's because you were at the low levels. Every time you level up, your stamina recovers.
Also, the further you advance in the game, the stages will cost more stamina points.
It's pretty noticeable after level 10.