New 2d Square RPG? With the People who made FFVI?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
WUT.

Would it be even possible that Sakaguchi collaborated with them on a game? I mean, he could work as a freelancer (or as a collaboration with Mistwalker, which is 'just' a creative team and a small group of developers), but I don't see it, not after everything that happened.

Although, I guess the years (and the change of CEOs) have diminished his beef with Sony and Square-Enix.

I would fucking love for this to be true. Seriously, everything about sounds perfect, although I'm afraid that nowadays 2D means either low-budget/small game.

My iPad is excited!

(...a mobile release isn't an inherently bad thing, but it's all down to the choice of business model)

One of the things I wished Square would do is take a leaf out of Ubisoft's page with Child of Light. You can have your flashy AAA projects chugging along (or stalling!) in the development conveyer belt over there, but where's the harm in investing in a smaller 2D side project with comparatively much lower risk AND one that's almost guaranteed handsome success with the Final Fantasy IP name? And a 2D game that you can easily port everywhere, from Steam to PSN? Oh, that's right. Virtually none.

Dooooo eeeeet.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
And people will clain that the game will be great and make square-sh**( according to Nostalgiafags ) the "golden perfection" squaresofft (according to nosltagiafags again) only for being 2D (and maybe old shcool ?(turnbase,middle age european fantasy,Uematsu and so on)) and having Sakaguchi on rather than for actually being creative,innovative and not a recycle. I know this is still not a thing(the game) but i can see people starting to comment in a bunch of forums with that mindset. This comment doesnt have the intention of being offensive and i apologise if it sounded like that.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I want to be exited if this is true but not for a mobile release, that would be a waste of talent. You know there's a reason company's release games on that mobile hardware right? And it's definitely not because those games have high budgets....

May 26, 2014
Would be cool.

I want to be exited if this is true but not for a mobile release, that would be a waste of talent. You know there's a reason company's release games on that mobile hardware right? And it's definitely not because those games have high budgets....
I won't deny that there's a lot of... shovelware on mobile platforms, but not all mobile games are bad. Try Terra Battle! :)

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Would be cool.

I won't deny that there's a lot of... shovelware on mobile platforms, but not all mobile games are bad. Try Terra Battle! :)
Yea, can't lie. There are some nice little mobile games out there, but still if they were on consoles and even handhelds they have more potential to bring out their true potentials.

Also Look at FFVI on mobile, the PSP version of FFI, II, and IV looked more lovely with graphics. The PSOne port has better graphics than the mobile port of FFVI.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Yea, I never look at a mobile game and seriously think of it receiving GOTY status. It's true not all mobile games are "Flappy Bird" but still I'm sure my point has been made...

I really hope this is on real gaming systems.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
It would be a serious waste of talent to have this development team make a mobile game. It needs to be a AAA game or bust. Do the right thing, Square-Enix.

May 26, 2014
Yea, can't lie. There are some nice little mobile games out there, but still if they were on consoles and even handhelds they have more potential to bring out their true potentials.
Well it all depends on what kind of game it is. Take Terra Battle for instance again. It just wouldn't work on consoles. It was made for mobile.

Also Look at FFVI on mobile, the PSP version of FFI, II, and IV looked more lovely with graphics. The PSOne port has better graphics than the mobile port of FFVI.
The horrendous graphics and garbage fonts in the mobile ports of V and VI aren't due to the fact that they're on mobile. They're due to the fact that Square Enix thought it would be a good idea to port V and VI with horrendous graphics and garbage fonts. And they were wrong.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Well it all depends on what kind of game it is. Take Terra Battle for instance again. It just wouldn't work on consoles. It was made for mobile.

The horrendous graphics and garbage fonts in the mobile ports of V and VI aren't due to the fact that they're on mobile. They're due to the fact that Square Enix thought it would be a good idea to port V and VI with horrendous graphics and garbage fonts. And they were wrong.
Yea, and looking at Terra Battle it looks like what it is a "free to play mobile title".

I'm confused to as how I'm even having this conversations, everyone has opinions and here there's nothing wrong with mobile, but the Final Fantasy VI Team might be returning and people actually want all the talent to go to a low budget mobile game? It's like being starved for days and you're offered your favorite pie, you have a full one or just a slice, and you say "I'll just take the slice". When you can have the whole thing lol (Terrible analogy I know). However I hope this comes to actual gaming systems, probably even 3Ds I would hope PS4 though. :)

May 26, 2014
I'm confused to as how I'm even having this conversations, everyone has opinions and here there's nothing wrong with mobile, but the Final Fantasy VI Team might be returning and people actually want all the talent to go to a low budget mobile game? It's like being starved for days and you're offered your favorite pie, you have a full one or just a slice, and you say "I'll just take the slice". When you can have the whole thing lol (Terrible analogy I know). However I hope this comes to actual gaming systems, probably even 3Ds I would hope PS4 though. :)
That's not a bad analogy... if you look at mobile games as being inherently inferior, which I don't. But I guess that's where you and I differ. And it's not like I want it to be on mobile. I just wouldn't mind if it were, that's all. Anyway, I guess we can agree to disagree. :)

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I want it to happen on some level, but with only a PS3 and 4 now I doubt it'd be something I can get and play. It'll likely be on a system I don't have anymore. But I hope if it happens yall can get yall gamer thumbs on it.

Warning! I am advocating a smaller, downloadable game, not some big-budget effort. For business reasons, and for reasons of pragmatism, it would be the ideal route to take. Like I have said in another post, there is no reason why SE can't be a company that pushes out smaller FF spinoffs (that aren't low effort minigames or All The Bravest ripoffs) in between their AAA projects.

A new 2D Square RPG should be on as many platforms as possible. Don't needlessly leave anyone out and timidly purr when asked for the reason that there's any kind of extra cost or effort involved. Take the indie route and don't restrict it to only a tiny handful of platforms; go maximise the audience, especially if it is a downloadable game where concerns about shipments and supply chains are null. Square recognises the existence of Steam now, and is steadily releasing content for PC (even if the reason for putting the FFXIII trilogy up on Steam is for an ulterior reason), so maybe they are learning that lesson.

Last edited:

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
That's fine, but I won't be playing. Not because I won't give it a chance but I don't have a phone that can support those games and don't plan on getting a new one since it'd be useless if I can't afford a phone plan to go along with it. I couldn't even play Terra Battle, not to be mention it'd probably be low budget mini game so I'd most likely not be interested in it anyway....