"New Nintendo 3DS"

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Bremaine

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Aug 31, 2014
Lovin' the SNES buttons a lot. Really brings me back to the good ol days. Anyways I think this is when I finally upgrade to a new 3DS. :D

Wazi the pa

Samurai Legend
Site Staff
Oct 26, 2013
Australia
There seems to be a rumor right now that NEW 3DS is not region locked.
Source?
If the rumors are true, I will be so glad.
No more do I have to kill myself by waiting to buy a game when I'm out of the region I buy my 3DS games.
It's still a pain for Nintendo to use 'Region lock' on their systems

Last edited:

darkbahamut

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
Isn't the region locking handled by the firmware? So if the New 3DS is region-free, then Ninty must make the regular models region-free as well, for the sake of clarity.

Wazi the pa

Samurai Legend
Site Staff
Oct 26, 2013
Australia
Nintendo should really change the system's name into something else. "NEW" in the console name will not catch on.
I think people are complaining of the games exclusivity in the 'NEW 3DS' because of the handheld name.
If Nintendo were to change the name of it, along saying that the system is able to play 3DS game would settle the complaints a lot better.

Fin

ShinRa SOLDIER
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
^ Up until a little while ago there were tons of people who would whine every time a 3DS game came out (ie. Pokemon X/Y), saying stuff like "will it work on my DS?" "why didn't they release a DS version??" etc. seemingly unable to comprehend that it was like asking why Twilight Princess isn't N64 compatible.

I don't know if it's so much that Nintendo is making it confusing or that a lot of their customers are just really easily confused.

Wazi the pa

Samurai Legend
Site Staff
Oct 26, 2013
Australia
You could say that people have trouble moving on to a new console.
To be honest, the 3DS has been around for more than 4 years now and it makes sense why Nintendo is keeping the 3DS name because moving on to a new system (with a new name of course) would mean that Nintendo are ending the 3DS life cycle early.

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
^ Up until a little while ago there were tons of people who would whine every time a 3DS game came out (ie. Pokemon X/Y), saying stuff like "will it work on my DS?" "why didn't they release a DS version??" etc. seemingly unable to comprehend that it was like asking why Twilight Princess isn't N64 compatible.

I don't know if it's so much that Nintendo is making it confusing or that a lot of their customers are just really easily confused.
Mostly that a lot of their customers are just really easily confused.

I often lurk around Amazon, whether for the sake of gauging overall reactions to games, or to give myself a hearty laugh reading poor reviews.

I've seen a lot of those questions posted on Wii U and 3DS games particularly, "will this play on the Wii? will this play on the DS?" As if the "ONLY ON [console]" labels in advertisements aren't enough.

I, and many others, opine that the New 3DS should have been called the "Super 3DS". Oh well, history's history.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I heard in Japan the New 3DS cost more than the original 3DS, but the New 3DS XL and original 3DS XL cost the same. Hopefully that's true, then I can sell my original for the new model. :)

Slickyslacker

PSICOM Soldier
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hey, I just had another unlikely idea.

If Nintendo were to release the 3DS Ambassador games to everyone else, wouldn't the New 3DS launch be an auspicious time to do so?

I've always thought it rather unfair that they've continuously withheld those games from most 3DS owners, especially considering how awesome they are (Advance Wars, FE8).

I don't know, that's simply a thought I had today.