No dual-audio, difficulty options or skipping cutscenes in FFX

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I asked Square Enix Europe if dual-audio, difficulty options or skipping cutscenes would be included in Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster on PlayStation 4. Unfortunately, this won't be the case.

We would like to confirm that the game does not have support for dual-audio.
There is no specific option for you to change difficulty however in FFX you can choose a harder mode for the sphere grid type.

Unfortunately it is not possible to skip cutscenes nor cinematics, however in Last Mission and FFX-2 you should be able to skip.

I further asked to confirm if this was the case for the PlayStation 4 version. This was their response.

Yes, this is how it will be on the PlayStation 4. It will mostly the same as the PlayStation 3/PlayStation Vita version except that in FFX you can chose to have the PlayStation music or the rearranged one. This option is not available in FFX-2.

Finally I asked why there isn't the option to skip cutscenes in FFX. This was their response.

Unfortunately we cannot confirm the reason why there is no option to skip the cutscenes.
We have however relayed your feedback to our development team in order to take it into account during the creation of new Square Enix games.

My best guess is some sort of technical reason.

Dual-audio and difficulty options were discussed back at E3 2013 for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita versions. It's likely still these reasons why they were not included in the PS4 version.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
That's extremely dissapointing and just not understandable. I'm not a developer but why is it so hard to implement an option to skip cutscenes? If it'd be a massively ambitious game for Ps4 that needs the cutscenes to load the next area in the background I could understand it a little bit but that's a freaking PS2 game!! There should be no excuse for that.

That's actually even a deal breaker for me. I just played the game last year and there's simply no replay value for me if I can't have the japanese dub or even skip cutscenes this time.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I wholeheartedly agree with Infest. Lack of cutscene skipping is a dealbreaker for me as well.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I'm not a developer
:D

It's because FFX is programed to load assets during a cutscene. To make it simple; it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth to reprogram the game just to implement these features. There are still games today that do this (Second Son, for example)
Very much possible.

This isn't a big surprise; the remaster is more or less a direct port of the PS3 version, with minor additions & improvements (though the ability to switch back to the old soundtrack is big for me). Adding difficulty settings would require major, dedicated work that simply isn't worthwhile, and that seems to be the case for skipping custscenes as well.

FFX/X-2HD sold very well on the PS3; the PS4 release is Square simply looking to leech a little more money off a game that they have to put little to no work into. Adding more features costs money -- therefore, they'll go for only the things that will attract the majority of customers (like better graphics). The features you've mentioned are rather niche requests.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
This isn't a big surprise; the remaster is more or less a direct port of the PS3 version, with minor additions & improvements (though the ability to switch back to the old soundtrack is big for me). Adding difficulty settings would require major, dedicated work that simply isn't worthwhile, and that seems to be the case for skipping custscenes as well.

FFX/X-2HD sold very well on the PS3; the PS4 release is Square simply looking to leech a little more money off a game that they have to put little to no work into. Adding more features costs money -- therefore, they'll go for only the things that will attract the majority of customers (like better graphics). The features you've mentioned are rather niche requests.
Actually dual-audio is always getting added to basic ports.

Zero

ShinRa SOLDIER
UFFSite Veteran
I've really been going back and forth with myself trying to decide whether or not to cancel my pre-order for this. I already have the PS3 limited edition. The facts posted in this thread definitely have me leaning towards not getting it now. I'm still kinda confused on what's actually in the limited edition box for the PS4 version. Is it basically just the steelbook case and the bonus calendar? Or is the steelbook only in regions other than NA?

Actually dual-audio is always getting added to basic ports.
I don't know of any Square remasters that have included it, besides Type-0, but the Type-0 remaster launched worldwide within a short period of time, and was intended to finally bring the game outside of Japan. That's not the case for FFX/X-2.
I've really been going back and forth with myself trying to decide whether or not to cancel my pre-order for this. I already have the PS3 limited edition. The facts posted in this thread definitely have me leaning towards not getting it now. I'm still kinda confused on what's actually in the limited edition box for the PS4 version. Is it basically just the steelbook case and the bonus calendar? Or is the steelbook only in regions other than NA?
As I understand it, the limited edition in NA will include the calendar, while Europe gets the steelbook. I'd have liked to have both but oh well.

If you already have the PS3 version, there's not a huge reason to upgrade besides convenience. I'm dipping in again because FFX is my favorite in the Final Fantasy series and I like to have everything on my PS4, if possible, but there are plenty of other, better ways to spend $50.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I don't know of any Square remasters that have included it, besides Type-0, but the Type-0 remaster launched worldwide within a short period of time, and was intended to finally bring the game outside of Japan. That's not the case for FFX/X-2.

As I understand it, the limited edition in NA will include the calendar, while Europe gets the steelbook. I'd have liked to have both but oh well.

If you already have the PS3 version, there's not a huge reason to upgrade besides convenience. I'm dipping in again because FFX is my favorite in the Final Fantasy series and I like to have everything on my PS4, if possible, but there are plenty of other, better ways to spend $50.
The PC ports of XIII, XIII-2 and soon LR have dual-audio. And if you did a little work you might be able to make the iOS & Android versions of FFIV dual-audio since it includes both the Japanese & English versions.

The Japanese version of Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX actually had dual-audio, lol.

Flash Over

Chocobo Knight
Mar 7, 2015
NL, Canada
Like the cutscene skipping, dual audio is also way more of a hassle than what it's worth, especially in the case of X-2 where lipsyncing was changed in certain scenes, and different FMVs were used altogether for the scenes featuring the theme song. There might also be a licensing issue with use of Koda Kumi's songs outside of Japan. If you look for the album that featured the full versions of the songs (Grow Into One) on iTunes, the songs are there, but are "no longer available" when you try to buy them.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Like the cutscene skipping, dual audio is also way more of a hassle than what it's worth, especially in the case of X-2 where lipsyncing was changed in certain scenes, and different FMVs were used altogether for the scenes featuring the theme song. There might also be a licensing issue with use of Koda Kumi's songs outside of Japan. If you look for the album that featured the full versions of the songs (Grow Into One) on iTunes, the songs are there, but are "no longer available" when you try to buy them.
But they used them in the international versions on PS2, shouldn't that help things?

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
This game have Subs? If so just mute the sound and read the subs. You'd essentially be reading them anyways with dual audio. I seriouly never understand why people get that dissipointed in no dual audio. But to each there own i guess.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
This game have Subs? If so just mute the sound and read the subs. You'd essentially be reading them anyways with dual audio. I seriouly never understand why people get that dissipointed in no dual audio. But to each there own i guess.
Oh I prefer the English dub, but I know it's a very popular feature.