Question: Are you upset that there is a car in FFXV?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Are you upset about cars in FFXV?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 96.2%

• Total voters

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
I am just curious, because it's been floating around since the TGS 2014 announcement. Some people are saying:

- It has a car in a FF game? This is not FF!
- It has all guys in a FF game? This is not FF! ( we don't even know if this is the full cast yet.)

FF 8 had cars/trains, FF 7 had a Motorcycle part. Why is it all of a sudden bad in FFXV?

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Don't forget the Buggy from FF7. There were also trains in Midgar.

And some people are just looking for something to bitch about. Don't pay them attention.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Don't forget the Buggy from FF7. There were also trains in Midgar.

And some people are just looking for something to bitch about. Don't pay them attention.
LOL, on gamefaqs people also say, ( FFVII/FFVIII weren't good games because of that too) or the fact that the car looks so similar to our world and not a " Fantasy looking" car. lol

Yeah, I am sure it's just people bitching about heh.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I understand that many people don't know much about the game or the series in general and therefore are shocked about the artistic style of the world and the car, saying that this world is incoherent.

Well, is a FF, mix of lots of settings. In fact, I think this is one of the most coherent FF (it has nothing on XII though) in the sense that the contrast makes sense within the lore (of what we know so far), while something like FF VII threw at you a Ninja city, a medieval village and a dieselpunk city just for the sake of it; it had sense within the universe, yes, but I think XV is upfront and consequent with that, so I don't understand such criticism (I totally get the character desing criticism among other things, though).

About the car, I love it, it's something I liked in VIII even if it was pretty useless. I wouldn't like it if it was a GTA-like feature, in which you could, I don't know, crash enemies and shoot them from there. I'm sure there might be some set-pieces like that, but that's it. I'm actually really curious to see how it will work, which places we'll be able to cross with it (basically because of enemies).

Sep 26, 2013
It's probably not just the car itself but all the other elements shown off and how it all works together, that doesn't strike familiarity with people and they're just unable to explain it well.

The TGS content we've seen so far doesn't give me that Final Fantasy vibe either so I'm in the same camp. But it's so much more then just the car itself so it's not exclusive to that. I'm still thinking hard and heavily about it.

Understand though that doesn't mean it will be a terrible game. I do like what I see so far.

One of my issues with Final Fantasy today is that the name interferes when it comes to making good design choices.

I strongly think the name held Toriyama back from creating what he truly wanted to make with Final Fantasy XIII. But because this was a Final Fantasy game, he had to follow some of the rules and restrictions that comes with the IP and make some design choices that ended up making no sense for the type of game he was trying to create. You can tell he wanted to do his own thing but needed to make sure it felt like a Final Fantasy game to those who played it and grew up with the franchise.

I think it ultimately hurt the overall experience. It is of no surprise to me hear some people say that Final Fantasy XIII didn’t feel like a Final Fantasy game and wasn’t deserving of the name. I expect the same will happen with Final Fantasy XV.

It's one reason why I think Final Fantasy should come to a end. That way these developers can make smart design choices that makes logical sense and don't have to worry about creating something that the fan base demands and expects.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
It's one reason why I think Final Fantasy should come to a end. That way these developers can make smart design choices that makes logical sense and truly don't have to worry about the creating something the fan base demands and expects.
I don't think that XIII being a FF game is the reason it was shit... A Final Fantasy game to me is just an RPG created by Square Enix called Final Fantasy that has familiar elements to past Final Fantasy games.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
It's probably not just the car itself but all the other elements shown off and how it all works together, that doesn't strike familiarity with people and they're just unable to explain it well.

The TGS content we've seen so far doesn't give me that Final Fantasy vibe either so I'm in the same camp. But it's so much more then just the car itself so it's not exclusive to that. I'm still thinking hard and heavily about it.

Understand though that doesn't mean it will be a terrible game. I do like what I see so far.

One of my issues with Final Fantasy today is that the name interferes when it comes to making good design choices.

I strongly think the name held Toriyama back from creating what he truly wanted to make with Final Fantasy XIII. But because this was a Final Fantasy game, he had to follow some of the rules and restrictions that comes with the IP and make some design choices that ended up making no sense for the type of game he was trying to create. You can tell he wanted to do his own thing but needed to make sure it felt like a Final Fantasy game to those who played it and grew up with the franchise.

I think it ultimately hurt the overall experience. It is of no surprise to me hear some people say that Final Fantasy XIII didn’t feel like a Final Fantasy game and wasn’t deserving of the name. I expect the same will happen with Final Fantasy XV.

It's one reason why I think Final Fantasy should come to a end. That way these developers can make smart design choices that makes logical sense and don't have to worry about creating something that the fan base demands and expects.
Well, we did know for a long time now ( 8 years) that this game is a "Fantasy based on reality". and still everyone one was looking forward to it like it was the next biggest hit for Final Fantasy. It's only now that they see the "realism" (which we knew about for the longest time) that now they are up in arms about it.

I noticed with any game is that, the closer it gets to releasing, the more people bash it.

As Myrodis has stated, This is a Modern Fantasy setting. It's ( in my opinion) no less "Final Fantasy" then with FFVII with Power Plants/Cars/Motorcycles. FFVII can relate to FFXV in alot of ways. And everyone loved FFVII. I just don't get why a game like FFVII is considered a FF game when FFXV is bringing FF like things to the table:

1) Returning Monsters ( Goblins/Adamantoises /Behemoth etc)
2) Returning Summons ( Leviathan and more)
3) Breathtaking world and atmosphere
4) Final Fantasy like Music
5) Chocobos ( which is confirmed because they said they are trying to get them for the demo)
6) Airships
7) Crystals

No I don't want FF to end. Yes it may just be a simple name, but it's a name that whenever I hear it, I can't help but to be excited for it. People hate change, and people hate "Repetitious" things as well. You can never please everyone, FF fan or no, or any game in general.

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
I think people are trying just too hard to find something to complain about with this franchise. I know this started since XI or XII, but...

Isn't one of the characteristics of this franchise to have the guts to experiment? Remember that since FFII there have been huge differences between every title of the series. Some of these differences had a good reception with the fans (the change from a medieval setting from FFI to FFVI to a modern, cyber-punk setting in FFVII) and some just didn't work that well (FFVIII and FFXII battle systems, numbered titles of the franchise becoming MMOs rather than another spin-offs called Final Fantasy Online I and so on). I think that to look for that 'Final Fantasy vibe' isn't something we should be doing in this franchise.

It is true that Final Fantasy XIII felt a little awkward at times and it lacked a lot of things that were common in other titles of the franchise (starting with the music), but that also fitted with the tendency to experiment with the series, the same goes with XV, the first numbered Final Fantasy to lack a turn-based battle system.

The thing is... There are cars on this world. And also airships (at last!). And a world map. And a (it appears so) good story. And (it appears so again) good, interesting characters. Et cetera.

If people want to complain about something, they will no matter what, specially when it doesn't fit with what they want with a game, whatever it may be. The problem is that people tend to see and look for the bad things, giving them more value that the lot of good things the games of these franchise tend to have. That includes four friends on a car trip in a Final Fantasy game, something 'not so Final Fantasy'.

Last edited:

Kaii

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Aug 19, 2014
San Diego

Oh noes! bros in a car!

Except now their gang's doubled in size and they can afford nice wheels.

I really, really like it. I'd even like it if it had some cheeky GTA-type action where you could run things over. I think that Modern Fantasy concept is great and it's something that FF hasn't really done before. There's been distant past and distant future, but nothing fantastical about the present. I think it's a smart move.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
Final Fantasy has certainly gone to weirder places in the past. VIII had zombie hockey players show up in random battles, and I loved that. I don't care so much about assumed stylistic cohesiveness as I do about overall entertainment value.

If XV has any of that Playstation era-style modern fantasy zaniness I will consider it redeemed. Too many games feel so sterile these days because I think they are afraid to be weird. Though I somehow doubt XV is going to get "ride Mr. Dolphin to reach the tower" weird.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Final Fantasy has certainly gone to weirder places in the past. VIII had zombie hockey players show up in random battles, and I loved that. I don't care so much about assumed stylistic cohesiveness as I do about overall entertainment value.

If XV has any of that Playstation era-style modern fantasy zaniness I will consider it redeemed. Too many games feel so sterile these days because I think they are afraid to be weird. Though I somehow doubt XV is going to get "ride Mr. Dolphin to reach the tower" weird.
This is why I'm surprised that even people that are used to the series say these kinds of things, when, especially in VII and VIII, you had TONS of things that were way too incoherent and out of nowhere within the universe. And they didn't have an explanation, like it seems XV is trying to have, with the crystals, different civilizations and whatnot.

That said, I totally get people's complaints about the character designs. I'm used to them now, and I tolerate/like Gladio and Ignis, but Noctis' hair is ridiculous, and he looks too much like a host, and so does Prompto.

But the rest, the art direction the game is following, is pretty good in my opinion (the engine and specially the lightning really helps, sure). I think it manages to give a sense of wonder, whether because of the cities we've seen (and its variety from nation to nation) or because the vastness of the countryside and the creatures there.

I just hope it ends up being a 8 game at least, since I like almost all its concepts.