Real Remakes of Final Fantasy Games

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Leonhart

PSICOM Soldier
I feel tired just to think about a reason to justify a remake nowdays... A long time ago I was on the side of the people that desperately wanted a FFVII or FFVIII remake.
Today I think the games are just fine as they are... Remake theses games will need a LOT of money and maybe they will not have 1/10 of the impact of their original releases...
Square-Enix should focus their efforts to make new games instead of remaking stories we already know - and love.

The last remake, Final Fantasy VI is a proof that the original game is already a gem that don't need an update. Final Fantasy I, II, III remakes are ok because they really improve the experience of the game - I really like the original games, but it's a little pain in the ass play the original NES versions today. The Final Fantasy IV and VI remakes I think that are unnecessary. Is it cool to play with better graphics? Yes... But It's the same game, same history and etc. - I can live without them.

I think it's the same with FFVII, VIII and IX... A remake could be great but I can live in peace without them.
But for some people is more important an FFVII remake than a "FFXVI"...

I really can't understand.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I have conflicting views about remaking previous Final Fantasy titles. I will say they aren't "really" needed at the moment (or at all). I still can play Final Fantasy VII, VIII, etc and it's just very amazing to me. The gameplay is definitely NOT broken so it's not like they could improve on that, the only real reason would be for people who desperately care about graphics. BUT while I do think it would be absolutely lovely to see those memorable scenes in beautiful graphics, it's okay if I don't.

Honestly the only thing that would make me jump on the crazed "OMGZ! We NEED a FFVII remake more than the next big FF mothership title!!!!" hype train, would be if Square said this certain remake would include an optional quest to keep Aerith alive. Only then... Hee Hee! ;)

foreverundecided

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Feb 26, 2014
Alleo I want to start off by saying that I am not trying to pick a fight, I'm just a little curious. You say that the old games don't need remakes, yet you claim that you've never played any game before XIII. So, have you even considered playing them? If not, would a remake change your mind, or would you still wait for something "new".

foreverundecided

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Feb 26, 2014
A lot of people have voiced concerns about remakes and I'd like to address them, using VII as an example.

1. So, the most talked about thing is how expensive it will be to remake these games. The price is being compared to making a brand-new game. But, it will actually be even cheaper than making an FF sequel. And I think we can all agree that the sequels are more cheaply made than their originals. But, just to be clear lets look at what goes into a game.

A. The Plot…is already done. Not just the broad strokes, but all the little details, as well. I think the Original FF is the only one that needs some work in this department.
B. The Characters…are already done! The designs, the personalities, the interactions, and the combat abilities.
C. The World…Is. Already. Done! I think they should add a few more places and maybe flesh out some old ones, but still it won't cost that much.
D. The Graphics…Sort of Done, but not really. This is where most of the money will go: actually making the game. Even then it wouldn't be anymore expensive than a sequel. Sequels may have a different plot, new characters, and a changed world but they don't improve the graphics. (I'm not complaining, just stating facts.) Even if the graphics are on the same level as XV (which is ludicrous and not what anyone should expect anyway) it would still be cheaper than making the graphics for XV because they've already worked out most of the kinks and wouldn't have to experiment as much.
E. The Voice Actors…This is really the only place that I can't dispute the price. But again there's no way it can be more expensive.​

2. Another concern is that the story won't hold up to peoples standards. I can't say that I know if they will or not, but if they don't than the game isn't a classic. A lot of people claim that VII is a classic but if it can't hold up to an update in graphics than it doesn't fit the criteria of a classic. A classic is a book, movie, play, or other piece of art that stands the test of time regardless of remakes, adaptations, and copycats. If it's never remade it can still be called a classic. But if they remake it and don't change the story and it fails than it isn't a classic, it's a favorite. So, I see it as a sort of test.

3. So far only one person has mentioned a concern about the battle system but I'll address it anyway since it's a valid concern. The question is:"Should they keep the original system to appease old fans or have an updated one to attract new customers?" Answer:"Both." It's simple. When people begin the game give them the option of using the Classic system or the new one (I'm thinking something like Crisis Core's system since they're already connected). Obviously, it shouldn't be changeable during gameplay but I don't think that people will mind.

4. Another concern is the voice acting. Not the price this time, but fan reception. Contrary to popular belief this doesn't just apply to remakes but to new games, as well. Tidus of X and Vanille of XIII immediately spring to mind. I personal like Tidus' voice but i heard that a lot of people hated it. And while I have no problem with Vanille's speaking voice (love her accent) her battle cries were so annoying. That doesn't mean I suddenly hate the voice actress or think that someone else would have been better for the role. And since I'm using VII as an example, I would like to point out that the entire main cast has both Japanese and English voice actors. Fan reaction ranges from the small group of "I liked them all from the start" to "I WILL ALWAYS HATE THEM ALL!!! SO-&-SO WOULD'VE BEEN A MILLION TIMES BETTER!!!!WHY!?!?!?!?!! to the majority which is "I hated them at first, but once I got used to them I can't imagine anyone else doing the voices. Weird."

I'm sure there are other concerns I haven't mentioned but I'll stop here, for now.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
You would need to give me evidence to convince me that FF7 Remake would not be a costly project. I'm of the opposite belief.

Just because the game has already been made in the past, doesn't mean that so much work is effectively done. A remake of FF7 would need radical changes. If we assume it would be a PS4/XBO title, think about that huge bump in console power and graphics. Then think about how they need to convert the locations of FF7 PS1 into FF7 Remake - all that texturing, all that modelling, all that making sure towns and areas look genuine and akin to the original. The game world would need to be designed and drawn again from absolute scratch - you can't just take what they have made in FF7 PS1 or Crisis Core and slap some HD paint on it.

I can't go along with the "it would be cheaper to make than an FF sequel" (e.g. FFXIII-2) statement. No, I don't have proof, either, but just thinking about turning FF7 into a full remake is not going to be cheaper than FFXIII-2. This would definitely be a costly project.

They may be minute, but I think story alterations, or at least acknowledgements of Angeal/Genesis etc from CC, would need to be added.

You wouldn't be able to offer two battle systems. That wouldn't be feasible in the slightest. Creating two completely different behaviours for every single enemy etc...it would effectively be making two games in one. Battle system should remain very similar to FF7, but I could see them making big changes to it, too, to make it more modern. Hopefully success of games like FFX HD prove that turn-based-like systems are still popular.

I'd love to see a FF7 Remake one day, too (I'm still of the belief something will happen around its 30th anniversary), but I think people are underestimating just how much work needs to go into turning FF7 into a full remake.

Last edited:

Alleo

Yevonite
Nov 25, 2013
Alleo I want to start off by saying that I am not trying to pick a fight, I'm just a little curious. You say that the old games don't need remakes, yet you claim that you've never played any game before XIII. So, have you even considered playing them? If not, would a remake change your mind, or would you still wait for something "new".
Hm I´m not sure. I don´t buy games just because their are from a specific company so I probably don´t count as a Square Enix fan. I bought XIII not because it was Final Fantasy but because I bought a PS3 last summer and needed games to play with it ;) I still would have bought the game even if it was not from Final Fantasy because the story interested me from the start. So one can say that I´m not going to really wait for something new from SE. XV looks great but I´m not sure if I will ever play it since I´m not planning to buy a PS4 soon. (I know that this may not have much to do with your question, just wanted to give some background information)

Even though I don´t really wait for it I still have the belief that companies (not only SE) should go onward and not but their hopes into only releasing old games. If they can do both without suffering a reduction in quality then they can do what they want. But thats exactly why I do find it strange that they did not do big remakes till now if it´s that easy. As a fan of XIII I do visit sites about Final Fantasy (that´s how I found my way here :D) but I try to stay in topics about that game. But even there you get the feeling that people would like a VII remake so why even after so many years did they not do that? Maybe you have a idea? It just baffles me that they are so uncertain about it and for me there must be reasons why. I can only see that maybe it would really cost them more than we can imagine or maybe that they are kinda afraid to touch the game because you could do something wrong. Because why would they not do it if they have the resources, time and money? o_O (And a big demand for it)

Would I buy a remade? I say that depends. But probably not. I could play them right now and even if graphic is a important point in a game for me I still would play old games if they interest me enough. But right know they don´t so I can´t see why they really should catch my interest if they are remade. (This does not mean that its a 100% No never, but the chance is not really high) And at least for me, having a beloved game remade does not mean that I will buy that remake. :) I loved Zelda as a kid. Could not stop playing it and was really sad to let that game go because I wanted the PS2. They did a 3DS remake but I won´t buy it. It´s like Leonart said, it´s the same story and since I have enough other new games that I don´t know, I won´t buy it. I may be pretty alone with that mindset but I just prefer new games to remakes.

About your other post:
Hm I think that it may not cost that much if you only do a remake for a handheld. And if they do one for the older ones then this is all they need to do. But for VII and games after that I can´t just see them as remakes for a handheld. Maybe I´m wrong with that but I really think that if they do one for VII then it will be on a console. And since they are not planned for the moment I don´t think that they would be out on PS2/PS3. Likely they would remake it for a PS4. (It´s only how I see it :) maybe I´m totally wrong) And if they do a remake on the PS4 then it´s more than just changing some little things. The world has to be completely rebuild, the characters too. Now they even have to take mimic and other things into consideration. (Since they are barely there at all). They may not need the planning step like a new game does but they still have to go through the creation process. And if they do it for the PS4 then I´m quite sure that they also have to use a great graphic. A lower quality may be alright for the old fans that know the old games (because it would be a great change) but what about the other gamers? Would they accept lower graphic? I mean for them it would be like buying a complete new game and I read a lot of comments on different games where people complain about low graphic.

And look how long they need to do a remaster of a recent game. I mean they did change some little things in X/X-2 but the main point was to enhance the graphic and yet it took some time. I imagine that it could take the same time like a new game to remake something like VII.

But why would people need a remake if the game is classic enough? They are still able to play their beloved game and if they still love it then why do they need a remake? Is it only for a better graphic? But why need one if you can still enjoy it without that? One of the reason for a remake (for me) is to gather new fans but do you need that if you have new games that does the same? I mean if XV is really successful and gather gamers that may not normally play JRPG then why would they need a remake?

Is it really that simple to implement two really different battle systems? I mean they would be fundamentally different. You kinda need to create two games into one because battles are important and often. I just can´t see how this would be cost effective for the company. I mean the one system would be out of the world into a battle stage where you then fight the monsters in turn based battles. The other would be real world (action) battles where you don´t change to such a stage (like the XV battle style, since I can´t see how they would go to older systems after releasing this game but who knows maybe I´m wrong about that ;)) That´s not something that you can easily change at least while programming or they would use that with every game they release to gather both sides.

Got ninja'ed by Azuardo XD that happens when you need so much time to type a post :cool: but nice to see that I´m not the only one that see some things that way.

Last edited:

Leonhart

PSICOM Soldier
@foreverundecided I think you are doing a great mistake here. Like said before by @Azuardo these things you say that are already created, will need to be recreated and adapted.
I don't know what you expect from a FFVII remake but everyone who talked to me wants a full 3D remake... A game with the graphic quality of FFXIII at least.
Because of that they will need to change "everything" done in the past.

Final Fantasy VII is a game with SD characters and pre-rendered scenarios. All that will need to change, all the cities, locations and etc will need to be recreated and re-invented to fit the new standards.
The problem is the scale of the project. Past FF games have huge maps because the graphics are simpler... Convert this world in full scale to a 3D remake will spend A LOT of work and money.

I agree with you that the "foundation" (characters, concepts, history) is already created, but a lot of things will need to be remade and adjusted.
A long time ago (during the FFXIII release if I`m not wrong) one of the producers said that with the actual speed of the team, a FFVII remake with the XIII quality would take about TEN YEARS to be completed.

Now if you are thinking about a remake for Portable Devices just updating the graphics It's another story, but people are expecting something like this:

Update: Just found that Kitase talked about the remake again last moth. He said:
"I still think it's going to be a very challenging task," Kitase told Joystiq. "I can tell you personally I would love to do it. But before I decide to do anything of that kind, I would have to bring my dedication and motivation levels to the maximal high. It's not the kind of project I can start casually working on, it's a really serious project. It would be nice if I got the opportunity to do that in the future, but at the moment no plans."

To express just how serious the project is, Kitase compared the timeline to how long the entire trilogy of FF13 games took to produce. "We already took nearly ten years to make the trilogy of Final Fantasy 13 games, ending with Lightning Returns. I think that a high-definition FF7 would be definitely comparable to that scale, an even bigger project maybe," he said. "It would probably take a lot longer than ten years, even if we ever do it. So that's what I am saying, I would have to have a complete and utter dedication to the project."
Original: http://www.shacknews.com/article/83162/final-fantasy-7-remake-would-take-longer-than-ff13-trilogy

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
A long time ago (during the FFXIII release if I`m not wrong) one of the producers said that with the actual speed of the team, a FFVII remake with the XIII quality would take about TEN YEARS to be completed.
If it takes 10 years to make, it would mean that the game is in development hell. Square Enix's core issues so far in the HD era has everything to do with using an outdated development model and terrible team management. Not fixing these things will cause a project to have a lengthy development time, delays and go over budget. Game development won't be so efficient either.

These adjustments should have been addressed sometime ago.

I do not have sources about the financial situation of Square Enix, I only read on different sites that Final Fantasy 14 was a financial disaster for them and some say that this is also the reason why they produced the sequels of XIII (Like I said I only read it somewhere :)).
Sequels are cheaper and faster to make as the groundwork has already been established from the first game. Lots of assets can be reused. Making something brand new from ground up would take longer and require things to be created from scratch. You're also throwing a lot more money into it too.

You saw a lot of sequels last generation and you'll continue to see a lot more of them this generation because of rising development costs. Creating new IPs from ground up isn't always the best idea in today's industry. One fuck up can greatly hurt a company. For big budget titles, you're going to see a lot of safe ideas that can be milked to death.

FFXIV did however delay and killed some projects.

Last edited:

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
The more I think about it I realize that, while I wouldn't mind a remake of VII, I'd rather see a direct sequel to it.

...Or perhaps a story which takes place after the events of Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus.