SaGa 2015 (Working Title) announced for PS Vita

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I'm happy about this announcement. The battle music is going to be great. With this and Legend of Legacy it's like getting 2 SaGa games in one year.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
So this is the new console RPG that SE was talking about? Whether it is or not, I need to use my Vita more often. I haven't played any of the games in the SaGa series though.

Am I to play the previous titles in order to understand the situation in the series or the opposite? I regret not playing any of the games in this series......
It would be great if they can come out and clarify it. Like... "Yeah this is what we meant". But with JUMP Festa starting in 6 days we need to wait for that (or any associated Famitsu leaks) to close out the year.

Fin

Clan Centurio Member
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
Saying that they need to clarify if this is the game they were teasing makes it sound like it isn't big news. SaGa is huge and we haven't had a new (non-remake) entry in the series for years and years.

Anyway, for people who don't know it used to be Squares biggest series after final fantasy, but most entries didn't get released in English. It generally has non-linear storytelling and a complex battle system that is like a more refined/advanced FF2. You pick which character to be the protagonist and follow their story. The games are generally very hard compared to most JRPGs-- it's been compared to Dark Souls etc but I haven't played those games to say if it's a fair comparison. But because of the learning curve a lot of people can't get through them.

Also, it has a lot of the greatest battle themes I've ever heard in video games. Look up Kenji Ito's Re:Birth series.

May 26, 2014
Type-0 could have come to the PSVita if it had more market share.
Of course, but that's also exactly why it didn't. Vita is hardly a blip on the radar outside of Japan.

Square Enix might be seeing Vita in a different light now, but only in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more free to play games on Vita from them in the future along with the occasional traditional game like this one.

Sep 26, 2013
Square Enix might be seeing Vita in a different light now, but only in Japan.
A bag of green stuff from Sony can change that. ;)

Time will tell really. Comes down to if Square Enix will localize SaGa themselves or not. Seeing how Nintendo had to localize Bravely Default and the 3DS was in much better shape then PSVita was at the time, they're probably looking for Sony's help.

May 26, 2014
Yeah, I suppose it'll be interesting to see if Sony does anything with this. They do seem to acknowledge a large portion of the Vita user base is made up of JRPG fans or fans of Japanese games in general. Though I could also see this staying Japan-only too. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens.