Somehow, I just feel we aren't fully understanding what Tabata is trying to say.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
First off, if the game does turn out as exactly most people are up in flames about, I will be mad too ( but eventually get over it and just play the game).

Now what I want to say to what we may not just not fully understand right at this moment.

People always like to jump the gun ( It's human nature?) when they hear things like " The only character that the player is in direct control of is Noctis." It can always be in translation error ( not described in the way the director wants us to understand it.) At first glance it does look like "The only playable character" people seem to be stuck on. Personally, after reading that line so many times I can read it as, " When controlling Noctis, you are only in "direct" control over, the rest is AI, implying that the characters can be switched. Heck he could even be talking about the blasted demo for all we know. " We are giving you this demo to tell us what you think, we love to hear your feedback" basically, the vision they have for the gameplay atm is for us to test out and basically tell Tabata ( I love it or I don't like it *insert reason here*)

Onto this "Holding down 1 button" issue. Firstly, no game that I have at least played has never been without "Tapping" all the buttons, and I just don't see this game having just ONLY a press and hold to win. I see this as an "option". When I hear the word "a Simplified version of Type-0, I am hearing a more " Accessible version of Type-0. Like holding down 1 button ( for the not so hardcore players) can play the game like that so they can experience the story without getting pressing ( button mashing) every button on the controller). I am calling it right now that due to most ( if not all) games in "nature" always have " tapping buttons". Also, Tabata says,
  • The combat system starts as "action" a-la-KH, lots of things changed since then but the action nature is still there. Not a classic JRPG, for sure. If it "Starts off as KH" wouldn't that imply there will be button mashing? Because KH surely has button mashing. I see the holding each button down to execute are for the easy people.
  • The weapon bar thing does sound a bit worry some, however, since he says "You set weapons on the deck in the menu" implies "You choose what can go on the deck and how many" another words if you only wanna use 1 weapon in particular you technically can ( based on what I am reading).
  • "We want the player to control fully what happens" just sounds the opposite of button holding in my personal opinion or it could be that the "control" will be optional press or hold, it's up to you.
  • " But I can tell you Noctis can dodge enemies by keeping pressing the "Block" button". "Can" dodge by keep pressing. Can just sounds like a "optional" type word. He doesn't say "You have to keep the button pressed". It's like saying " I can eat chips" but do I have to eat chips? No I don't, I'm going to eat pizza because I can! :p.
  • If holding down a button is the only option, since they are trying to capture " Realism". I think one of these "new Mechanics will be a stamina bar. Attacking depletes this bar, defending charges the bar, doing nothing will charge the bar but at a slow rate.
Edit: The only thing we no for sure right at this moment is that there is no playable Female characters.

Edit 2: This is how I feel about the situation atm and is only my opinion.

Edit 3: Somethings even contradict each other, like how he said " He wants the player to be in full control" but then says " Only person in direct control is Noctis. and alot of people reading the article as a bunch of " automation". Full Control and Automation are exact opposites when they are by themselves.

And lastly, we just don't know enough about the battle system ( since there is alot of elements Tabata says) to even come to a firm conclusion the the battle system sucks. However, speaking your mind can help with the battle system development. so I say keep the complaining on! :)

Here are some "calm" people that are actually thinking this threw:

Neogaf Memeber: TheGreatDirector

I don't think a translated interview is gonna give us the full understanding of the combat system. The whole Noctis only playable party isn't even a direct quote from Tabata and was only implied. For what it's worth I understand why people are mad. I've been waiting for the game since about 2007 and I always wanted it to be the perfect mix between Kingdom Hearts gameplay and a serious, realistic Final Fantasy world. Unfortunately we all have to (please)understand now that with Nomura leaving, the game's direction is now heavily influenced by what Tabata has done. The combat sounds like an evolution of Type-0 and XII and from the interview seems really simplified but we really don't know yet. The whole party teaming up mechanic seems way to random at this point but there is no gameplay to back that up, We really need the demo to be demonstrated to get a full idea of where it's headed and not just another tech demo.
Neogaf Member: HHTurtle

For those who are unfamiliar with FF Type-0's control scheme, I will attempt to explain why it's not bad.

I did swap the Circle, Triangle and Square commands so I will explain it by using the button configurations that I used as an example.

Holding/Tapping R will bring up a target reticle on enemies.

Holding L brings up a sub-menu that allows you to access reserve members, switch between any of the characters in play or access Special Orders.

Circle is the basic attack button. Most characters have an attack for each circle and left analog stick combination, "O + nothing", "O + forward" and "O + backward". Some even have attacks for "O + left/right".

Triangle and Square are for special abilites like Ace's Laser Cannon (These consume the ability gauge) and offensive spells like Fire RF (These consume MP of course). Each character can be equipped with 2 special abilities, 2 offensive spells or one of each. Some special abilities have multiple combinations when used with the left analog stick.

There is no Jump button but Cross is for dodging and casting support spells like Cure. Pressing/Holding X while the left analog stick is tilted in a certain direction will cause that character to dodge in that direction. Standing still for a moment and holding X will cause the character to charge the support spell. Once the spell begins to charge, you can move around while the spell is charging. When it is charged up, releasing the X button will cast the support spell.

Blindly dodging or attacking is a very easy way to get yourself killed since the game is pretty tough.

So you see, a single attack button and single dodge button can still make for an intricate battle system.

Last edited:

kamikki

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 18, 2013
Finland
Seems to me like it borrows elements from several of previous best Squenix games (KH: BBS, Type-0, FFXII, Crisis Core) and I'm happy with it as it stands.
I also trust Tabata to deliver a great game much more than Nomura.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Seems to me like it borrows elements from several of previous best Squenix games (KH: BBS, Type-0, FFXII, Crisis Core) and I'm happy with it as it stands.
I also trust Tabata to deliver a great game much more than Nomura.
At this point in development: The Story/Characters at least won't be changed. Tabata is mostly a gameplay expert, He is not the story type of guy ( I don't think). I still think the Story is still Nomura's Vision.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
At this point in development: The Story/Characters at least won't be changed. Tabata is mostly a gameplay expert, He is not the story type of guy ( I don't think). I still think the Story is still Nomura's Vision.
Yeah, at this point the story won't be changed, but we don't know how much of Nomura's original vision still reamains in the game's concept. For all we know, they might have drastically changed the whole story when the game was being rebranded to FFXV.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I don't see how there's possibly enough information to give the battle system a fair assessment at this point in time. I believe people are just getting ahead of themselves from the influx of information from a nearly decade long drought. Waiting for the demo to see how all this plays out would be advised. Since then, we'll have a better grasp of the how the game will operate and be able to offer fair evaluations.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I think they should at the very least clarify (if anything) the characters you can control.

Because I've already made my mind that Noctis is going to be the only one, and that, along with the other changes, basically destroys my excitement about the game I've been waiting the longest and the most. Really shitty.

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
It really has been a rollercoaster this past week alone.

We need some clarification on whether or not there will be party switching. That was a core mechanic of the battle system, and one that made me really excited to play.

If party switching is canned then that also means that unique gameplay such as Prompto's 3rd person aimming is out. Being able to pinpoint enemy weak points and shoot out environmental hazards seemed like such a nice mix to the gameplay. On top of that, it implies that character specific specialties are also canned. Since each were proficient in some way that Noctis was not. That with the weapon switch would of made for some amazing on-the-fly combo chains of light and heavy between each character. But now it sounds like most systems will be having an auto mode in place.

What's become of the cover mechanic we seen just last year, or even the platforming? I'm having a hard time trusting that any of that are still in the game if Tabata is willing to take out party switching.

Up to now FFXV seemed to be experimenting and blending several gameplay styles for a more unique and engaging battle system, now I not sure what to expect. Going from solidified excitement to cautiously optimistic in a matter of a day is really unfortunate for me.

Last edited:

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
It really has been a rollercoaster this past week alone.

We need some clarification on whether or not there will be party switching. That was a core mechanic of the battle system, and one that made me really excited to play.

If party switching is canned then that also means that unique gameplay such as Prompto's 3rd person aimming is out. Being able to pinpoint enemy weak points and shoot out environmental hazards seemed like such a nice mix to the gameplay. On top of that, it implies that character specific specialties are also canned. What's become of the cover mechanic we seen just last year? I have a hard time ttusting that is still in the game if Tabata is willing to take out party switching.
This is why I feel the article was about the writer and his impression he got from what Tabata has said or he is simply referring to what people saw in the tech demo. I won't believe all those " special things" got scrapped. When this game is a " Fantasy based on reality". If Tabata did that he would be getting rid of the reality part. It would also contradict what he said that "He wants the player to have full control, for the best experience for this game. He also said that "It's more about the movements that are associated with the buttons and building upon them for actions through the combat system."

Movements that are associated with the Button"s" sounds to me like you have to press like X X Triangle X. He also said "If we don't do something that's challenging, it's also meaningless." This sentence alone makes me think there is more they are bringing to the table.

kamikki

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 18, 2013
Finland
Question: Would people rather wait one more console generation for Nomura's vision por would rather a game releasing next year? I cant help but feel that many of this changes (that we dont even have a solid grip and, at least to me, sound just as good as what we knew so far) are a side effect of Nomura being unable to show results in a timely fashion. More than one year of silence after the re-reveal of a game announced in 2006,with only now some actual proof in the horizon of a game really being made (a demo in ~6 months) are what makes me think this.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Question: Would people rather wait one more console generation for Nomura's vision por would rather a game releasing next year? I cant help but feel that many of this changes (that we dont even have a solid grip and, at least to me, sound just as good as what we knew so far) are a side effect of Nomura being unable to show results in a timely fashion. More than one year of silence after the re-reveal of a game announced in 2006,with only now some actual proof in the horizon of a game really being made (a demo in ~6 months) are what makes me think this.
No... no one would wait for another console generation... the consoles JUST released not too long ago, and still haven't been adopted by everyone. Who the fuck is going to wait 10 more years for this game? The current consoles allow for Nomura to realize his vision here.

The only problem I'm seeing here is the combat and party switching mechanic... and neither of those we actually know anything solid about other than various translations that we STILL don't know anything for certain over.

Tabata even said that his transition to director was in place since he joined, it's obvious this was planned as I originally speculated, and Nomura wasn't thrown out like a lot of people pessimistically assumed.

People need to remember that it's not just Nomura's fault that the game took so long... You really have to remember that Versus was originally JUST a side project, just like Type-0 is, and development seemed to be going smooth, but evaluating the limitations of the current console (PS3) and the ambitions for the project, plus the hype surrounding the game, the decisions to move the game not only to the next (current) generation consoles, but also to make it a mainline game really set the team back... Up until the blackout of information, we had a steady stream of information on the game, and the last gameplay demonstration showed a lot of promise, so it's obvious Nomura and the team could deliver, but they just were stuck in a positioned where they needed to weigh the options to make this game XV and on next-gen... and that's why things happened they way they are now.

kamikki

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 18, 2013
Finland
No... no one would wait for another console generation... the consoles JUST released not too long ago, and still haven't been adopted by everyone. Who the fuck is going to wait 10 more years for this game? The current consoles allow for Nomura to realize his vision here.

The only problem I'm seeing here is the combat and party switching mechanic... and neither of those we actually know anything solid about other than various translations that we STILL don't know anything for certain over.

Tabata even said that his transition to director was in place since he joined, it's obvious this was planned as I originally speculated, and Nomura wasn't thrown out like a lot of people pessimistically assumed.

People need to remember that it's not just Nomura's fault that the game took so long... You really have to remember that Versus was originally JUST a side project, just like Type-0 is, and development seemed to be going smooth, but evaluating the limitations of the current console (PS3) and the ambitions for the project, plus the hype surrounding the game, the decisions to move the game not only to the next (current) generation consoles, but also to make it a mainline game really set the team back... Up until the blackout of information, we had a steady stream of information on the game, and the last gameplay demonstration showed a lot of promise, so it's obvious Nomura and the team could deliver, but they just were stuck in a positioned where they needed to weigh the options to make this game XV and on next-gen... and that's why things happened they way they are now.
Still, doesn't explain the re-reveal and posterior silence around the game.
I'm well aware of the chaos Squenix was last gen, and everything that created this conversion to next gen. At least as aware as one can be following the news, and it's hard for me to believe that the game was never made for last gen because of lack of power in the last gen consoles, it was more mismanagement of resourses if anything. Lots of games were made for those consoles that surpassed their power (like Skyrim, Dragons Dogma or GTA V) but they were made with compromises in a timely fashion. If Squenix could have taken Vs Xiii out of the door, regardless of the compromises they would have to make to frame rate or image quality, I'm sure they would.

So is Squenix playing Nomura like a damn fidlle? I mean, if the change was really programmed and not dependant on some achievements or wtv, wouldn't it be better to re-reveal the game as XV with Tabata as director and KH 3 with Nomura as director? At the time what was said is that Tabata was codirecting and Nomura was also directing KH3, but in hindsight, now that we know that the change was programmed, I think it would be much better to state KH has in full development with Nomura at the elm...

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, at this point the story won't be changed, but we don't know how much of Nomura's original vision still reamains in the game's concept. For all we know, they might have drastically changed the whole story when the game was being rebranded to FFXV.
No story is still the same. In the trailer, there is still the talks about the peace treaty, which obviously is a big plot point because that treaty becomes foiled by Nilfilhiemn. The characters still have the same characterizations seen all throughout it's development. Same for narrative. It sounds like Nomura finished his story, so now Taba just translates it into the LE.

Sep 26, 2013
Why? By the time we are in possession of the demo, there will be so many new features that will be introduced to the demo that is still a work in progress and hasn't been shown to the public.

Just calm down.
Yes, everything is a work in progress and the demo may feature new things we haven't seen yet. But as you can clearly see some people already have concerns. The way I see it is let the developers know now. We still have a little over a year to go. When the demo comes out, it will be much less then that. The more time they have to address these issues the better.

Maybe there is nothing to be concerned about. We don't know. But I don't think many people want to wait and find out. It just might be too late.

Tani

Yevonite
Oct 25, 2013
India
www.facebook.com
Judging the gameplay and combat at this point of time is a waste of time. As it currently stands, we don't have any concrete info on the absolute mechanism of what the combat is. I'll wait a bit longer before actually judging anything. Also we all need to have some patience now, it's been 8 years, pretty sure one more year wouldn't hurt before we start hating on the game hahaha