Spoiler Impressions on NeoGAF

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Read the Verendus impressiones a bit earlier this morning. They're good, as in, they give you a wide view of what the game is and feels like without spoiling much.

Very exciting: during these months, I've had little doubt that the game would be nice enough, but I wasn't (still am not, considering it's up to my own impressions!) confident in it being good enough to be, at the very least, that positively compared to previous installments. Let's see if more people hold that view and, more importantly, if I do the same, but that prospect is quite exciting even though I might not feel the same when the time comes.

For those on the fence, they're not spoilery in a story sense (just broad strokes in that sense), but they give away some of the structural aspects of the game (aspects already covered by the Edge preview, iirc) that might give you too well of an idea of what the game is headed to in certain parts (well, it's far from being clear, but better safe than sorry). I'm gonna talk about his review in spoilers (I know this is the spoiler subforum, but considering it's just the beginning and that this is an inoffensive thread, I prefer to, just in case).

DON'T click them if you don't want to know how the game might be structured (after reading the impressions, some reviews and watching basically about every footage avaible -so, some of my "this is Chapter "x" and this is what happens after it" are completely correct already-). Also, my own speculation in that regard:
So yeah, first half should be around chapter 5 or 6, while, maybe, the rest being the more linear approach. We know that Chapter 5 is Titan's Trial from watching the latest bunch of preview videos. I'm assuming you get to Altissia during Chapter 6 after going to Caem and then, after you explore the city a little bit in that Chapter o 7, everything goes to shit (Nifs invading and all that jazz?) and the linear part where you get on the train and travel to Niflheim's capital kicks off. I kinda regret knowing that much very well, but hey, not really: I like following a game I'm very interested in that way, so yeah. And there's apparently quite a bit that we still don't know about (I know this is about the last thing I'm reading about this game).

He also mentions that there are surprises during the end run even after the game shift. I hope he doesn't mean that the timeskip happens around that time, as I would like it to last a lot. I can see some interdimensional shit going on, what with the Plague of the Stars and all. After all, he talks about this being a very FF-esque plot, so it's not truly going to be that grounded (not surprising, but still).

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Loosing my mind here trying to distract myself from the game!

So I've crawled back defeated to this forum. I'm confident this thread will be spoiler free so I'll stick around.

I'm not reading this Verendus' impressions of the game but has the person actually completed the game(main story)?

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Loosing my mind here trying to distract myself from the game!

So I've crawled back defeated to this forum. I'm confident this thread will be spoiler free so I'll stick around.

I'm not reading this Verendus' impressions of the game but has the person actually completed the game(main story)?
Seems like it, yeah.

If you have some specific question about the impressions (non spoilery, obviously), ask away.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
although verendus review was very positive, it doesn't scream "game of the the generation" to me, maybe GOTY.

Ridiculous how there are so many stupid threads and posters there.
trolls are increasing each time the release date comes closer, i'm just having fun at this point lol

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
although verendus review was very positive, it doesn't scream "game of the the generation" to me, maybe GOTY yes.
I would love for FFXV to win GOTY for many outlets.

I think it's mostly gonna go to Zelda though because Zelda wins everything.

And I'm saying this as a fan of both FF and Zelda.

Genuine question: what would you consider the game of the generation? Haven't picked up my Pro yet and want to look into more good PS4 titles down the line.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I would love for FFXV to win GOTY for many outlets.

I think it's mostly gonna go to Zelda though because Zelda wins everything.

And I'm saying this as a fan of both FF and Zelda.

Genuine question: what would you consider the game of the generation? Haven't picked up my Pro yet and want to look into more good PS4 titles down the line.
haven't played many games lately, but Bloodborne for sure.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
If you have some specific question about the impressions (non spoilery, obviously), ask away.
If you can answer with a yes/no for the follow I will be very much greatful:
-are the antagonist given enough screen time?
-is there much variety in your objectives(for example infiltration, breaking out of prison, sabotage airships, take part in a theatrical play etc)?
-is there any worthwhile reason to go back tracking/go back to places you have visited(for example new npc dialogue, new quests, new events
-do we get some screen time for King Regis(via flashback or other means)?
-outside the Noctis and Co do the other important NPCs get enough development via text, dialogue and/or screen time?
-are there collectable books/scrolls/articles we can collect and read?
-are all of the big summons boss battles?
-are most of the Nifleheim top dogs boss battles?

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
If you can answer with a yes/no for the follow I will be very much greatful:
-are the antagonist given enough screen time?
-is there much variety in your objectives(for example infiltration, breaking out of prison, sabotage airships, take part in a theatrical play etc)?
-is there any worthwhile reason to go back tracking/go back to places you have visited(for example new npc dialogue, new quests, new events
-do we get some screen time for King Regis(via flashback or other means)?
-outside the Noctis and Co do the other important NPCs get enough development via text, dialogue and/or screen time?
-are there collectable books/scrolls/articles we can collect and read?
-are all of the big summons boss battles?
-are most of the Nifleheim top dogs boss battles?
Mmm, actually, most of them I can't really answer, as he doesn't really delve on those aspects Kappa. He says he's not the open-world type and that his exploring the world is different than usual (he would complete some side-quests, but he was mostly about sight-seeing), so he doesn't give much away about NPCs, apart from noting who the stronges outside of the four is and that supporting characters add flavour and colour to the world (and this is, first and foremost, a Noctis game). Nothing on Niflheim's bosses .

Actually, he doesn't talk much about plot at all, so we don't know about Regis, the antagonist and all that. Regarding the summons, again, nothing, but he does have a section in his review to talk about set pieces and how they're, for him, what FF is all about (like Sector 7 in VII, the Gardens' fight in VIII...) and how they're very well implemented within the combat system (whether that means more battles against Summons beyond the ones already seen, I don't know). Also, nothing on collectables.

Sorry, I realize that this was a very barren post, lol.

PS: I might be wrong, but, at least, this patch brings the Database menu section. Also, Noctis and the rest moving in their respective slots in the menu, too.

Don't know much, but I guess we could learn some things if an educated (in regards to this game) player that already has the game tells us something.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Mmm, actually, most of them I can't really answer, as he doesn't really delve on those aspects Kappa. He says he's not the open-world type and that his exploring the world is different than usual (he would complete some side-quests, but he was mostly about sight-seeing), so he doesn't give much away about NPCs, apart from noting who the stronges outside of the four is and that supporting characters add flavour and colour to the world (and this is, first and foremost, a Noctis game). Nothing on Niflheim's bosses .

Actually, he doesn't talk much about plot at all, so we don't know about Regis, the antagonist and all that. Regarding the summons, again, nothing, but he does have a section in his review to talk about set pieces and how they're, for him, what FF is all about (like Sector 7 in VII, the Gardens' fight in VIII...) and how they're very well implemented within the combat system (whether that means more battles against Summons beyond the ones already seen, I don't know). Also, nothing on collectables.

Sorry, I realize that this was a very barren post, lol.
No not all. Thanks for the post.