Tabata: "FFXV used ATB, but I dropped it. Another director will evolve ATB for the next FF."

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
This interview was conducted at Paris Games Week by the French website Gameblog.fr and published on October 31, 2014. Of course, the interview is all in French, so most English speakers never noticed it. However, some revealing info was shared by Tabata in this interview, so I've decided to draw attention to it.

The below excerpt stood out to me most, as it indicates FFXVI is already in full swing with a director already assigned to the project (most likely, Hiroyuki Ito). It also indicates FFXVI will have an evolved ATB system.

I've translated this excerpt from the French original with some editing to improve readability:
Q: Final Fantasy Type-0 is an A-RPG, as is the future Final Fantasy XV. It has now been several years since the Final Fantasy series began using this style of gameplay. Should we draw a line under the turn-based battle system?

Tabata: No, I think we will still see future games based on turn-based gameplay. It [Final Fantasy XV being real-time action] is not choosing a direction for the whole series; no big decision like that was taken. It is about making decisions for one game at a time.

This brings us back to what we were talking earlier about my personal desire to create more realistic experiences including gameplay. We [the Final Fantasy XV team when I took over] first designed a battle system based on the ATB, but I had not thought about how we could make it more modern and realistic and what it could look like. That's why we finally decided to move away from it because it just does not suit. But I'm sure another director wants to work on making a new [mainline Final Fantasy] title with ATB or a battle system based choosing commands from an interface and bring it in a new, modern direction.

There are undoubtedly people [in Square Enix] who want to do this [with ATB and turn-based], however, there's no decision been made with regards to [mainline Final Fantasy] games based on real-time action.
From the sounds of things, I think that FFXV will be Tabata's first and only mainline FF as director. After it releases, himself and his team will begin to focus on the "Final Fantasy Type" sub-series. Tabata has already stated multiple times that he wants his next project after FFXV to be FF Type-1 and that he already has ideas for the scenario and gameplay.

This leads me to believe that FFXVI is already well underway and is being developed to be the game that shapes the direction of all future FF games. FFXV is a decoy and being presented to us as the next mainline FF, but Square Enix know it really is just VersusXIII now running in Luminous Studio. They therefore have something far more grand and ambitious cooking in the oven, and FFXV is their way of buying more time.

All things considered, FFXV seems like a game that was given a new team (Type-0 team) and engine (Luminous Studio) so it could be salvaged from Tetsuya Nomura's development hell. After Tabata finally gets the game out the door, the FFXV team (Type-0 team) will immediately begin focusing on making Type-1. FFXVI, which has possibly been in secret development for almost 7 years, will finally be given the limelight and show the future direction of both ATB and the mainline FF series in general.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Leave it to you to find something XVI related in this, nothing wrong with that, you want what you want. However, I think you underestimate XV a little bit, they are planning on this being their biggest game, why else would they take over a spin off game and make it a mainline series.

If they can make the ATB interesting and fun to play, and not feel outdated and clunky for this modern day, I'm all up for it, otherwise I don't see how they're going to top XV's battle system.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
Leave it to you to find something XVI related in this, nothing wrong with that, you want what you want. However, I think you underestimate XV a little bit, they are planning on this being their biggest game, why else would they take over a spin off game and make it a mainline series.

If they can make the ATB interesting and fun to play, and not feel outdated and clunky for this modern day, I'm all up for it, otherwise I don't see how they're going to top XV's battle system.
I had a feeling some FFXV fans would feel I was dissing a game they're looking forward to. I meant no harm with my OP, so don't feel offended.

One thing I need to clarify on my position is that I feel people should accept the fact that FFXV wasn't originally supposed to be a mainline FF. Tabata has already confirmed that almost everything about the game remains intact from when it was supposed to be VersusXIII, such as the all-male party, bromance theme, and the strong road movie aspect. These are points that Nomura originally said couldn't be done in a mainline FF, so therefore I still maintain FFXV is a renamed spin-off, no matter how pretty it now looks in Luminous Studio. I'm not dissing FFXV, but I'm accepting the matter that this is a game that wasn't designed as a mainline FF from the conception and planning stage. It has morphed into one due to how much development hell it has gone through over the years. Therefore, my eyes are one the next mainline FF that will be planned to be the next mainline FF from day one. The planning and conception phase will be different to FFXV, which Nomura originally concept designed as, "Can't be done in a mainline FF."

As for ATB, I honestly don't want it back. Seriously, random battles and battle transitions put me off JRPGs these days. The only way I want ATB back is if they evolve it and make it fully seamless like the battle systems in FFXII, Xenoblade, and Xenoblade X. If there is a still a battle transition like there was in the FFXIII trilogy, I won't be interested, even with Hiroyuki Ito directing.

Last edited:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
as it indicates FFXVI is already in full swing with a director already assigned to the project (most likely, Hiroyuki Ito). It also indicates FFXVI will have an evolved ATB system.
No it doesn't.
FFXV is a decoy and being presented to us as the next mainline FF, but Square Enix know it really is just VersusXIII now running in Luminous Studio. They therefore have something far more grand and ambitious cooking in the oven, and FFXV is their way of buying more time.
It's okay if you want to believe that.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I had a feeling some FFXV fans would feel I was dissing a game they're looking forward to. I meant no harm with my OP, so don't feel offended.
I actually meant to include that I wasn't offended by it, and I know you are looking forward to XVI, so it's understandable.

I understand that it's not the typical mainline FF game, I am looking forward to XVI, and it would be nice if Ito directed it as well.

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
1Truth2Lies why is it so important to you that XVI is in development, or that Hiroyuki Ito is the one directing it? Seems like this is really important to you for some reason. I saw your thread that had all your reasons, and yes some are valid but the ones concerning Hiroyuki Ito range from good points to stretching it.

Yes I believe XVI is in development, it probably did start a long while ago. But I just don’t get your seemingly obsession with Hiroyuki Ito.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I must say the topic title is a bit misleading from what was said in the interview. But after seeing what was said, there is still a bit hope that things will return to turn-based battle system. I think it's a shame that after the FFXV announcement many fans want to diss turn based battles and the ATB (Something the series was built on). I prefer Turn based, but I also think FFXV looks fun as well, not gonna put either one down, especially not the turn based since it's the root of the series.

Not to mention you don't see many big JRPG's use turn based any more, it's becoming rare....

Sep 26, 2013
I am getting tired of this mindset that if you are from the "mainline" series or not you're bound to follow rigid rules and conditions to fit in said "mainline" series.
Well, whatever those rules are that people think Square Enix should abide by, it doesn’t really matter. Amazing visuals and presentation is what defines and sells a Final Fantasy game and they’re masters at this. As long as those two things stay high quality, fans will continue to gobble it up no matter how shitty, or how “un-Final Fantasy" like everything else is.

Then again, the sales performance of FFXIII-2 and LR:FFXIII gives me a microscopic ray of hope.

Last edited:

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Am I the only one who thought the ATB was done some justice in the XIII series? It's one of the aspects I felt was its strongest. Say what you want about this game, but Lighting Returns nearly perfected the ATB system.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
I actually meant to include that I wasn't offended by it, and I know you are looking forward to XVI, so it's understandable.

I understand that it's not the typical mainline FF game, I am looking forward to XVI, and it would be nice if Ito directed it as well.
How can I be looking forward to FFXVI when it hasn't been announced yet? LOL! What I'm doing is putting my last ray of hope on FFXVI. I'm at a crossroads for this IP and if FFXVI is a game that doesn't provide me with the gameplay I want from FF, I'm out. I'm already not really interested in anything this IP is currently offering. I have no hype for FFXV and nothing I've seen so far has interested me. Therefore, until FFXVI is announced, this IP is pretty much dead to me. Only FFXVI can restore my enthusiasm for it, which is why I put so much hope on it.

Considering FFXII is my fave FF game and Hiroyuki Ito both directed and designed it, I really want him directing and designing FFXVI, as that will likely result in FFXVI evolving off FFXII's gameplay. Thankfully, the evidence I've amassed points to Ito helming the game. Therefore, that gives me some hope for the game. That being said, if FFXVI is another Kitase/Toriyama game, I'm out. I'll just take a FFXII HD Remaster and be gone from this IP. I'll focus my attention on my growing love for Monster Hunter.

1Truth2Lies why is it so important to you that XVI is in development, or that Hiroyuki Ito is the one directing it?
I'm glad you asked this, as I don't want people like you thinking I'm an Ito fanatic with photos of him all over my house. I have that notorious reputation on GameFAQs and it has also landed me some haters.

My reason is simple. I want another mainline FF that evolves off the gameplay in FFXII, which has my fave FF gameplay by a large margin. I thought FFXIII would evolve off the gameplay in FFXII, but I was wrong and it instead evolved off FFX and FFX-2. I almost gave up on FF at that point, but I then realised that the director of FFXII (Hiroyuki Ito) had nothing to do with FFXIII. Considering that Ito both directed and designed FFXII, the only real chance of getting another mainline FF that evolves off it is if Ito's again directing and designing. That's why I really hope Ito's helming FFXVI. That being said, if he is on FFXVI but makes the gameplay a throwback like FFIX, I'm out. I won't waste any more time looking forward to new installments in this IP.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
How can I be looking forward to FFXVI when it hasn't been announced yet? LOL! What I'm doing is putting my last ray of hope on FFXVI. I'm at a crossroads for this IP and if FFXVI is a game that doesn't provide me with the gameplay I want from FF, I'm out. I'm already not really interested in anything this IP is currently offering. I have no hype for FFXV and nothing I've seen so far has interested me. Therefore, until FFXVI is announced, this IP is pretty much dead to me. Only FFXVI can restore my enthusiasm for it, which is why I put so much hope on it.

Considering FFXII is my fave FF game and Hiroyuki Ito both directed and designed it, I really want him directing and designing FFXVI, as that will likely result in FFXVI evolving off FFXII's gameplay. Thankfully, the evidence I've amassed points to Ito helming the game. Therefore, that gives me some hope for the game. That being said, if FFXVI is another Kitase/Toriyama game, I'm out. I'll just take a FFXII HD Remaster and be gone from this IP. I'll focus my attention on my growing love for Monster Hunter.

I'm glad you asked this, as I don't want people like you thinking I'm an Ito fanatic with photos of him all over my house. I have that notorious reputation on GameFAQs and it has also landed me some haters.

My reason is simple. I want another mainline FF that evolves off the gameplay in FFXII, which has my fave FF gameplay by a large margin. I thought FFXIII would evolve off the gameplay in FFXII, but I was wrong and it instead evolved off FFX and FFX-2. I almost gave up on FF at that point, but I then realised that the director of FFXII (Hiroyuki Ito) had nothing to do with FFXIII. Considering that Ito both directed and designed FFXII, the only real chance of getting another mainline FF that evolves off it is if Ito's again directing and designing. That's why I really hope Ito's helming FFXVI. That being said, if he is on FFXVI but makes the gameplay a throwback like FFIX, I'm out. I won't waste any more time looking forward to new installments in this IP.
Was Final Fantasy XII your first FF or perhaps the only? That is not an insult. I'm just curious, because FFXII gameplay isn't the normal for this series, while it is fun and I do love it myself. How you're saying if another main installment don't evolve from FFXII, you're dropping the series as if it was garbage is just a bit to much. That's why I'm curious is XII is your first or only FF.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
Was Final Fantasy XII your first FF or perhaps the only? That is not an insult. I'm just curious, because FFXII gameplay isn't the normal for this series, while it is fun and I do love it myself. How you're saying if another main installment don't evolve from FFXII, you're dropping the series as if it was garbage is just a bit to much. That's why I'm curious is XII is your first or only FF.
My first was FFVII on PC back in 1998. I then bought and played FFVIII in 1999 and FFIX in 2001, both on the PS1. The first FF I found to be too movie-like was FFX, which I bought in 2002. I didn't like how linear the maps were and how all the cutscenes were not interactive. I finished it, but it was the first FF that disappointed me; amazing story, though. I actually enjoyed FFX-2 more when I bought it in 2004, as I liked the player freedom and the fast ATB system used. I never played FFXI because I couldn't afford the subscription fee when it released in 2004.

OK, now we reach FFXII, which I bought in 2007. This game was above and beyond what I expected from a FF. The battles were seamless like a 3D Zelda game and the world was absolutely massive. Also, there was so much content and so many locations to visit. It blew me away. My love for FFXII made me really hyped for FFXIII, but what a colossal disappointment I was in for when I bought it in 2010 and saw it was basically the nightmare return of FFX but with even more linear maps. I liked the art direction and battle system, though. Overall, I like FFXIII more than FFX, so it wasn't all bad.

Basically, I've never expected much from FF with regards to ambition in world scale and volume of content. FFXII set a new benchmark in that regards and it achieved it on the weak PS2. I really want to see what FFXVI can do with PS4 if Hiroyuki Ito goes all out on the hardware like he did with FFXII on the PS2. I think FFXII showed the blueprint for what JRPGs should aspire to be and I'm waiting for what its director can present us with next. Sure, Xenoblade and Xenoblade X are nice in how they built off FFXII's blueprint, but I want another mainline FF by FFXII's director. That said, if Ito makes FFXVI play it safe and he reverts back to a retro-style like FFIX, I'll not be interested and will be leaving the FF series. I want FFXVI to be as ambitious and forward thinking as FFXII was back when it first released.

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I must say the topic title is a bit misleading from what was said in the interview. But after seeing what was said, there is still a bit hope that things will return to turn-based battle system. I think it's a shame that after the FFXV announcement many fans want to diss turn based battles and the ATB (Something the series was built on). I prefer Turn based, but I also think FFXV looks fun as well, not gonna put either one down, especially not the turn based since it's the root of the series.

Not to mention you don't see many big JRPG's use turn based any more, it's becoming rare....
Well just because you have your "roots" on something doesnt mean you have to stick with it forever and never try something different.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
My first was FFVII on PC back in 1998. I then bought and played FFVIII in 1999 and FFIX in 2001, both on the PS1. The first FF I found to be too movie-like was FFX, which I bought in 2002. I didn't like how linear the maps were and how all the cutscenes were not interactive. I finished it, but it was the first FF that disappointed me; amazing story, though. I actually enjoyed FFX-2 more when I bought it in 2004, as I liked the player freedom and the fast ATB system used. I never played FFXI because I couldn't afford the subscription fee when it released in 2004.

OK, now we reach FFXII, which I bought in 2007. This game was above and beyond what I expected from a FF. The battles were seamless like a 3D Zelda game and the world was absolutely massive. Also, there was so much content and so many locations to visit. It blew me away. My love for FFXII made me really hyped for FFXIII, but what a colossal disappointment I was in for when I bought it in 2010 and saw it was basically the nightmare return of FFX but with even more linear maps. I liked the art direction and battle system, though. Overall, I like FFXIII more than FFX, so it wasn't all bad.

Basically, I've never expected much from FF with regards to ambition in world scale and volume of content. FFXII set a new benchmark in that regards and it achieved it on the weak PS2. I really want to see what FFXVI can do with PS4 if Hiroyuki Ito goes all out on the hardware like he did with FFXII on PS2. I think FFXII showed the blueprint for what JRPGs should aspire to be and I'm waiting for what its director can present us with next. Sure, Xenoblade and Xenoblade X are nice in how they built off FFXII's blueprint, but I want another mainline FF by FFXII's director. I want to see what he can do with the powerful PS4 hardware. That said, if he makes FFXVI plays it safe and reverts back to a retro-style like FFIX, I'll not be interested and will be leaving the series fanbase. I want FFXVI to be as ambitious and forward thinking as FFXII was back when it first released.
I see, well it is nice understanding you better now. Though it's disappointing that you would leave the series so easily. More than anything I would love the next installment to be like Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, or a 3D Final Fantasy VI. But I do enjoy and love each main installment. I love Final Fantasy. :)

Well just because you have your "roots" on something doesnt mean you have to stick with it forever and never try something different.
While that is true in many things, I don't think that is true for a video game series. For me a series is to create a experience that is similar in someway, if you want to try something new or "something different" then you should create a new series or i.e a new IP. What's the point of naming something Final Fantasy if it looks or plays like Call of Duty, not saying any FF have went that far. But that's just an analogy and most importantly my opinion on how series should be handled...

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I see, well it is nice understanding you better now. Though it's disappointing that you would leave the series so easily. More than anything I would love the next installment to be like Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, or a 3D Final Fantasy VI. But I do enjoy and love each main installment. I love Final Fantasy. :)

While that is true in many things, I don't think that is true for a video game series. For me a series is to create a experience that is similar in someway, if you want to try something new or "something different" then you should create a new series or i.e a new IP. What's the point of naming something Final Fantasy if it looks or plays like Call of Duty, not saying any FF have went that far. But that's just an analogy and most importantly my opinion on how series should be handled...
Final Fantasy as an experience and series was always about characters journey in a "fantasy" world. Combat system, open/linear world, art style, middle age/modern/sci-fi/steam-cyberpunk setting, race were always superficial aspects

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Final Fantasy as an experience and series was always about a fantasy characters journey in a "fantasy" world. Combat system, open/linear world, art style, middle age/modern/sci-fi/steam-cyberpunk setting, race were always superficial aspects
The most important thing to me about Final Fantasy is the story, Final Fantasy is the giant when it comes to JRPGs, and it's all because of the story. There are ton of other RPGs that have similar turn based battle systems, but none as popular as Final Fantasy simply because of the legacy.

I definitely agree that things like combat system and setting are not as important, as long as it's a JRPG named Final Fantasy with familiar elements such as recurring themes, enemies, creatures, concepts it will be a Final Fantasy game.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Final Fantasy as an experience and series was always about a fantasy characters journey in a "fantasy" world. Combat system, open/linear world, art style, middle age/modern/sci-fi/steam-cyberpunk setting, race were always superficial aspects
I think you've overgeneralize everything a bit to much, but if that's how you feel then okay. :)

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I'll just wait to see some definite stuff of FF XVI instead of working just hints based off of interviews and such. By 'definite stuff', I mean literal interviews about FFXVI along with work they have done and such, not abstract description of what the game is going to be about, what's it going to look like.....

Since FFXVI is a Final Fantasy game, I am already excited by it but I want to be sure why I am excited for it.
Right now, my mind is focused on the upcoming mainline FF game, which is FFXV. I'll worry about XVI once I've seen whatever work they've produced.
Well, I agree with much. No sense on getting excited about XVI yet when we have XV at the moment. :)