Tabata: "I’m assuming that the actual game will take about 40 hours to clear "

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
MMO's are not everyone's cup of tea.
However, exploring their world felt so nostalgic with it's music, theme and just about everything. I always come back to the city of Ul'dah at night just to hear it's night theme. You just feel at peace whenever you hear it.........
That's true. It's a great FF though. The game is beautiful, Soken did fantastic on the soundtrack (he's the composer, right?) Yoshida turned it around so quickly and it deserves its success. Really Eorzea is atmospheric.

And regarding XIII, I always thought if they had made Cocoon connected (it didn't have to be open) like TLOU or combining the maps of XIII-2, it would have fared a lot better even with its lack of content.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
XV needs to make sure that even when your not battling the vast amount of area you can search and locate loot is plentiful. LR had some of this but not in spades. Plus it was a short game that sometimes rushed you thru it. I think a lot of great map ideas used in ARR would help XV and cities other than the capitals should be designed like FF12's Rabenastre. Best town I've run thru in a long time.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
The fact that you need to go to dungeons to get stronger items or stronger monsters come out at night gives me much hope in that.

I heard some of the FF12 team was on ARR... please be inspired by them, Tabata.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
40 hours is about right if not actually a bit long for me now. I like the idea of RPGs being games that you can blast through quite quickly but also find astonishing optional depth in. I love Fire Emblem: Awakening and the three Mass Effect games, for instance, because you can blast through those games in under 10 hours if you want, but I've also sunk the better part of 60 hours into each on completionist runs.

Now I'm older and busier and all that, I like the option. If it's 40 hours for the base game, that's actually potentially a bit much - if it's shorter, but then optionally longer, that's pretty good by me. FF13 certainly outstayed its welcome in that sense, but interestingly, Lightning Returns was constructed 'right' and could be blasted through quite quickly. The day of the real 40-hour epic is gone, I think. Brevity is good - with lots of stuff to do to lengthen the experience if you wish.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Man, XII cities were great, a great mix of many many cultures and still looked coherent and with its own identity. I'm really curious to see how cities are going to work in XV, especially because that's something that can really extend the time we spend playing the game with sidequests and stuff.

For small towns I can see it, but for cities like Accordo... the render CG pic is HUGE. So I'm very interested in seeing how they're going to approach that (assuming we're exploring it) and of course the other cities (and how they'll look like). I think Lucis is going to be obviously restricted, due to the plot and especially its vastness. It's just not feasible, so I expect some setpieces there and some small sections.

And damn, the weather and day/night system is going to create so many atmospheric moments. Man, imagine being in Accordo while it's drizzling in the sea. The trailer alone gave some very comfy scenes, like that almost at the end of the trailer with the car, a grey sky and the pine forest besides the road; it really reminded me of my village ;_;

I think the weather and the day cycle can be good extenders of the game's life, especially if it opens unique opportunities (siquests, NPCs' behavior when raining or at night...) and if it really affects the gameplay as they've said.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Hmm? why would Lucis be restricted? It will be dense but I don't think it will be small by any means. Nothing to imply that.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
@Tornak In Grandia 1 and 2 you can talk to some townspeople over and over and still get new dialogue. I hope that happens with XV. They should put an icon over people's head with quest/story/lore info and the rest you talk to for jokes or local folksiness.

@Takoyaki Maybe he thinks the cities like Accordo and Lucis' captial will be restricted to prevent you from just going all over from the start. Like in Infamous Second Son, you had a huge city but you had to earn the right to enter new areas. People fought you. Some would be closed off. Debris needed moving. Only by the end of the game did you have the right to go ANYWHERE. And in FFX you never explore Bevelle. Only in FFX-2 do you ever got to check some of it.

My favorite part of an RPG is a deep story, leveling up, skill/spell trees, exploring, non-fetch lore-based sidequests, shopping or finding loot and of course battle. If XV can do all of these good or great, I will breath a sigh of relief. So far from what I've seen, they seem to have a good set up for exploration and story at least.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
@Tornak In Grandia 1 and 2 you can talk to some townspeople over and over and still get new dialogue. I hope that happens with XV. They should put an icon over people's head with quest/story/lore info and the rest you talk to for jokes or local folksiness.

@Takoyaki Maybe he thinks the cities like Accordo and Lucis' captial will be restricted to prevent you from just going all over from the start. Like in Infamous Second Son, you had a huge city but you had to earn the right to enter new areas. People fought you. Some would be closed off. Debris needed moving. Only by the end of the game did you have the right to go ANYWHERE. And in FFX you never explore Bevelle. Only in FFX-2 do you ever got to check some of it.

My favorite part of an RPG is a deep story, leveling up, skill/spell trees, exploring, non-fetch lore-based sidequests, shopping or finding loot and of course battle. If XV can do all of these good or great, I will breath a sigh of relief. So far from what I've seen, they seem to have a good set up for exploration and story at least.
They're not going to put things over people's heads, I thought they said they weren't doing that. Either way, I don't want it... a true Final Fantasy game requires you to pay attention and figure out where to go next.

Hmm? why would Lucis be restricted? It will be dense but I don't think it will be small by any means. Nothing to imply that.
Yeah, it's going to be fairly expansive, but considering the world map and cities aren't connected, there will be some cut off point, but it won't be small like you say.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Yeah, it's going to be fairly expansive, but considering the world map and cities aren't connected, there will be some cut off point, but it won't be small like you say.
Yup. Also, I'm sure they want each city to be same volume in terms of map size.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
You know when you think about it, Final Fantasy X towns are very underwhelming compared to Final Fantasy XII towns.

I hope the towns in FF XV are not only of decent size, but for an actual reason like NPC's, side quest, shops, etc.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
When I said restrictive, I meant that, given how huge and supposedly alive (it's a metropolis) Lucis is, it's probably going to be intersected in such way it's feasible for consoles to run it. I'm thinking something much smaller (but with lots of detail) like Yakuza (the 2011 night streets gave that feeling, with they narrow streets full of neon and shops) rather than something as vast asGTA. So, you should explore the castle and its sorroundings and certain districts (I'd love it were an arcade to play different games, pubs...)

And of course, going by the plot, Lucis is under attack. But sure, FFs usually change their plot halfway the game, so I guess it's not always going to be under Niflheim's forces.

And yes, I seriously don't know how they're going to make them! For example, in Accordo: how much space we'll be able to explore? How many NPCs (and how dynamic) are there? Which ones can we interact to? How do we know we can interact with them? How many buildings can we enter to? I mean, look at this:

I'm very curious to see how they brach it to make it feasible on consoles AND for the programmers, since they're humans and they seek for a game that is reasonable and fun, not a titan just for the sake of it.

So, this would basically (I think) be something à la XII, where you know Rabanastre is huge but you can't obviously explore it fully. Given how realistic and seamless they seem to be making this, one wonders which route they'll take to make it like that.

I've been waiting for cities' gameplay (not battle) since 2006 ;_; Especially since last year, with Accordo's reveal. It reminds me of the awe-inspiring Lindblum, best FF city ever (followed by Treno, Alexandria, Deling, Dollet... :p)

Last edited: