Terra Battle (Mistwalker, Sakaguchi, iOS and Android) out now in U.S.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I'm not one for mobile games; however, some of the staff attached to this project has piqued my interest.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I downloaded it yesterday just because I love Sakaguchi, Uematsu and Fujisada: the only mobile games I play are those you have to make a boring time a little more enjoyable.

I have only played three chapters (but I'm re-rolling because I want a character I like more, it's not that I've lost much progress lol) and I'm really liking it, actually.

The gameplay is pretty simple but engaging and fun. The story and setting are obviously anecdotic, but the things that stand out are both the artwork and the music. Really good desings for the most part and great music!

Also, I found it funny that the character of my avatar (just a concept art made by Kimihiko Fujisaka) has been used for one of the characters in the game, although slighty different (and worse :p).

Just started it, and positive first impressions thus far.

Microtransactions are, fortunately, of the benign sort (extra gold and energy). You shouldn't need to purchase anything, and the way the game is designed, it's for short bursts of gameplay interspersed with around 30 minutes of waiting before stamina (needed to tackle the levels) is replenished. The game even rewards you with gold and stuff for daily log-ins. It's very welcoming.

Liking the gameplay. It's easy to get into, and it's not bereft of depth. Once you get a hang of how to exploit the best sort of combo/pincer manoeuvres, it shouldn't be too much of a trouble. Having said that, I have started, so it might become ridiculously difficult later. I haven't tried hiring a new party member or "add a job"(?) yet.

Last edited:
I wish all the success to this game. Sure, it being a mobile strategy game loosely based on Japanese chess is a catastrophic step down from the likes of Lost Odyssey and The Last Story, but hopefully some modest success can help get Sakaguchi find more substantial work in the future to create a project he passionately wants to build. Either that or it encourages him to stick to the safe arena of mobile, but let's not think like that for the time being. The game is almost addictive, and I commend him and his team for the thought put into the gameplay, the Uematsu music, and the gorgeous artwork.

However, if he wants more downloads, he should really think about releasing this in more countries.

Also, for anyone still on the fence about this: if you download this game by 3rd November, you get a healer character completely free of charge.

And this should give you some free energy, should you need it. You'll find the option to redeem codes at the options tab: dhth66nWXVCbjdTC

I made my first trip to the Metal Zone today and well... uh... does anyone have any tips? I can never trap a Runner.
You may want a character with a sleep ability. I don't have one, so runners often get away except for the few who spawn right between two of my warriors. Now, taking down the King on the other hand... >.>

Honestly, I do wish there's a better way to roll the characters I want, and a stamina system that doesn't encourage more and more waiting as chapters become increasingly "expensive" to tackle.

May 26, 2014
By the way, I was wondering which characters everyone here has pulled. I started out with Bahl and Kuscah (of course). I also got Ka'pori and Bonna (whose skill is to cure petrify, which I haven't encountered at all yet). The only interesting (possibly?) monster unit I have so far is a magma mummy.

So, how is this? I've got very limited time at this time of year with all the releases... but I can't really say no to Sakaguchi and Uematsu. Is this worth my time?
Absolutely.

I don't play many strategy games on mobile, but Terra Battle is one that handles it relatively beautiful, in my opinion. Much of the fun comes in moving around and lining up your (admittedly, static) character avatars on the grid in certain ways to deal the most effective damage to your enemies, to do crowd control, and to heal, etc. The game eases you into the combat remarkably well, and it's comfortably easy to get into. Having said that, the game quickly does become progressively harder, particularly after the fifth chapter, so it's one of those "easy to get into, quite hard to master" games.

As it's free-to-play, expect Terra Battle to be weighed down by features one would ordinarily expect from its fellow mobile games. It costs stamina to tackle maps, and maps require more and more stamina the further you progress along the storyline*. Every five minutes, even when the app is closed and when you're in battle, one stamina point returns, which is still enough of a wait that players often have to play the game in relatively short bursts at a time. Again, like what one expects a F2P mobile game to do. In terms of microtransactions, they're benign - you only buy energy - and you shouldn't need to spend any money to progress, unless you're addicted and impatient.

I was checking out a few Terra Battle topics around the web, and what I've noticed is the obsession a lot of people have with rolling a rank SS character. This occurs AFTER you play the game's tutorial. There is a gift code you can find in my post above which nets you a free 5x energy, on top of the free 5x energy you already receive from the admins. A chance to roll a good character costs 5 energy, and people have taken it upon themselves to delete the app, re-install it and finish the tutorial over and over again to roll the SS characters they want. Now, this shouldn't be a necessity. I have one SS character, but she's only a healer, so offensive wise, she may as well be a D rank or something. Don't get too hung up on your characters' ranks.

Additionally, might I add, the game is online only. Commuters will have to face quite a heavy data usage bill if they want to play this on the London Underground.

*storyline is told in a rather interesting way - only in words and unlabelled dialogue. It's quite whimsical, and leaves much to the imagination.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Online-only doesn't bother me too much as I sink far too much time (and far too much money) into Hearthstone, which is the same, as it is. So... time to download it, then! Hmm. Maybe I'll do a little feature on RPG Site.

There's purportedly around 30 chapters(!) in total thus far, and I'm being slayed by a spider boss on the sixth chapter. An offensive mage good at getting rid of the endless hordes of arachnids it spawns would have been great to have right now. >.>

Last I checked, the game has reached around 220K downloads. If it gets 2 million, they promise a console version of the game. Step on it, people! Let's give Mistwalker some work!

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Okay, so, this game is excellent. Wow. Will post more thoughts once I've gathered them, but, really... wow. So impressed! The music is great, too.
It's like they stripped a RPG down to just its core leveling and battle system and then made that itself the game.

JRPG Mechanics: The Game.

And it's awesome.

Hey everyone, share your characters if you can:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I'm having a rather busy week, so I haven't been able to play (I even restarted the game to re-roll, so I have no progress now), but I'll get to this as soon as I can!

BTW, I'm really happy about the amount of downloads they're getting, if only because I absolutely love Sakaguchi and Uematsu. I just hope they focus their efforts in a big game soon enough. You can see they still have it, and I'm eager to see them with a big budget and modern tech again.

Also, I'm curious about that MMORPG milestone. That could be really interesting, but I'd rather have their next project being a game in the scale of Lost Odyssey.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
They are at 580k downloads so far...

I hope this game gets P&D-sized big and attracts many whales and then Sakaguchi can continue doing whatever he wants but at an upgraded scale.