The Future of Final Fantasy on Vita Depends on Fan Demand

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
The Future of Final Fantasy on Vita Depends on Fan Demand
Final Fantasy could come to Vita, if players are vocal enough, Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata told IGN. If it were in his hands, a portable Final Fantasy game would be all about multiplayer.

“The potential is always there, but I’ve been making games recently on console,” he said. “Hypothetically, personally speaking, if I were to work on a Final Fantasy game for, say, the Vita platform, I would love to implement elements of co-op play and versus play, and have a Final Fantasy that has roots in allowing for people to play together.”

Today, Tabata wants “to make the most use of the best specs on the current hardware. Of course, I’ve worked on titles on handheld, and I’d aim for the best quality on a limited screen size and try to bring out the best in the device.”

Tabata recently took over the role of director on Final Fantasy XV, with former lead Tetsuya Nomura leaving the project to work on Kingdom Hearts III and other games. Tabata’s last game, Final Fantasy Type-0, is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One because fans were vocal about wanting to play a localized version, and playing it on something other than its native PlayStation Portable.

Whether that would ever happen to other games is up to fan demand, “and if Square Enix is willing to stand by that demand and follow through."
Please understand. :kefkalol:

Well, you could try porting something like Final Fantasy Explorers to the Vita. But you're not going to do it, are you?

This is the Square-Enix who see the Vita as a third mobile operating system these days (not counting Windows Phone 8, because who cares about Windows Phone?), if Agito+, Rise of Mana and Chaos Rings are of any indication. Were the sales of FFX and X-2 HD on Vita just not up to their lofty standards?

The Square-Enix style of "listening to fan demand" seems to work like this:

Executive #1: Alright, peeps. We need good, easy PR this week. What are fans a bit disquiet about today?

Executive #2: Well, sir, they appear to have it in their heads that the PlayStation Vita should receive more Final Fantasy love...

Executive #1: We already gave the plebs Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD. What more do they want?

Executive #3: Well, call me crazy, but many folks online sound a bit miffed that we're putting Type-0 HD on consoles, instead of the platform they've loudly been asking for.

Executive #1: How annoyed are they at the moment?

Executive #2: Uhh, well, currently nowhere near as annoyed as the online hordes threatening to push Tabata-san off a cliff, but I'll admit, we've not exactly been too generous with Vita fans, ha-

Executive #1: Look, people love FFX. They can play that on their Vitas as many times as they can, so really, we've been super generous with them. If not, we've put mobile games on the platform. I'm sure no one will notice, but when they do, they can't make the case that we're neglecting the platform. OKAY?

Executive #3: But people want more Final Fantasy on Vita, and frankly, we could also do with good PR this week, as you've said. Everyone's mad for some reason!

Executive #1: Alright, here's the plan. Let's just get Tabata-san to say something vaguely positive. Tell him to tell the plebs that if they're loud enough, we'll probably put more Final Fantasy games on Vita. I don't care how he does it, but we're ritually sacrificing him if he annoys more people as a result.

Executive #3: But we're not going to honour their wishes, are we?

Executive #1: How the heck were you promoted this many times and still sound so unsure? Of course we're not.

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
I can't really see myself buying the numbered FF HD releases for Vita if they're available for home-consoles. Like X, I bought it for PS3 only and would do the same if XII came out on both, as much as I enjoy my Vita. Now, I would definitely grab Vita versions of games like Crisis Core, the Dissidia's, Tactics, etc., however.

Man, thinking of it now, Crisis Core really deserves so much more attention than just that PSP release. They need to get that game to more people.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Does this kind of, maybe confirm potential FFType-1 would be on consoles?

And didn't they say we'd get FFXII HD if FFX/X-2 was received well... where is it!?

Sep 26, 2013
Theatrhythm and Explorers would be a start.... Especially explorers, sounds like it would play much better on the Vita.
I think Final Fantasy Explorers is designed to target that Nintendo and Monster Hunter demographic, which is why it's coming to the 3DS and not PSVita.

That target demographic is why Final Fantasy Type-0 wasn't ported to the 3DS.