The Latest on Mistwalker

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Hopefully Squirrel Emperor you won't mind a little sleuthing added to this thread? :) :)

Look what Mr. Sakaguchi posted to his public Facebook feed a couple hours ago. A lunch meeting with Jun Iwasaki. You know, the guy who was CEO and President of Square USA from 1998-2004, then President of XSEED from 2004-2012. Wow, Square USA and XSEED sure had great runs during both those spans, eh?

Anyhow, probably just a meeting of two old friends, right?

You'll also notice that over the last several months all Sakaguchi is doing is posting on his Facebook "off to LA" "off to Tokyo" "back in Honolulu" on and on with photos of his trips. He's certainly on the move.

Oh yeah, back to Jun Iwasaki --- I wonder what he is up to these days??

GungHo sure is flush with all that Puzzles & Dragons cash (and soon, Clash of Clans cash), I hear they are worth more than Nintendo at this point.

Oops, I got a little off topic. Mistwalker is in bed with GungHo, which is based in LA and Tokyo. But yeah, took a lot of speculation for me to get there. We'll see.
Bit late, but wanted to add to this - Hiromichi Tanaka is at GungHo as well as a high-up special advisor. He's most famous for being the man in charge of FF11 and initially FF14's original rushed disaster (which was why he left Square), but he's also part of the 'original seven' who worked on FF1 and FF2 with Sakaguchi and the like. So if Mistwalker is working with GungHo, chances are Tanaka will be involved.

Dollow

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 26, 2013
dollowrlance.blogspot.com
That Verendus Rumor about the "2 JRPGs" That Japan Studio is making.

I find that rumor most curious, because if you look at the history of Sony and SCE as a whole, all the RPGs that they own are all collaborations with other studios.

Level-5: Rogue Galaxy, Dark Cloud, White Knight Chronicles
Contrail: Legend of Legaia
Matrix Software: Alundra
Arc the Lad - (Made by various DEVs over the years)

The only RPG that was ever made by SCEJ and Japan Studio completely in house was Legend of Dragoon (Great game in my view). If true it should interesting to see what these RPGs are.

Back on Mistwalker, I don't see them making any RPG for Sony, RPGs for the Wii U and XB1 are more likely as they have a long history with Nintendo and Microsoft.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Bit late, but wanted to add to this - Hiromichi Tanaka is at GungHo as well as a high-up special advisor. He's most famous for being the man in charge of FF11 and initially FF14's original rushed disaster (which was why he left Square), but he's also part of the 'original seven' who worked on FF1 and FF2 with Sakaguchi and the like. So if Mistwalker is working with GungHo, chances are Tanaka will be involved.
Resurrecting this MW post to point out this Dualshockers translation of a 4Gamer interview made me think of your comment about Tanaka above.

Is it time to add a Tanaka/Tokyo pushpin to my MistWalker x GungHo conspiracy map? :)

kamikki

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 18, 2013
Finland
A little offtopic, I have Lost Odyssey (although I don't have a 360 to play it yet lol) Do you feel like Blue Dragon is worth it? I've watched som of the anime back when it came out and I didn't really care for it, but as long as the game has good gameplay system I can live with it.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Blue Dragon is a fun game - I think it has more in common with Dragon Quest than FF - but it's just not as great as LO, imo. However, it has some really, really brilliant gameplay systems, I think. And amazing music!

I'd have read that as a joke plain and simple, but as of typing, the lack of clarification that it was just a joke tells me there's some essence of truth in this.

They cannot be very optimistic with the sales forecast of an Xbox One-exclusive JRPG. But still, the Gooch and his tiny little studio are getting some work aside from surfing iOS games and airbrushing pictures of Sakaguchi with a surfboard to decorate the office with.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
So he left Final Fantasy and Square Enix for this???

I can't really speak since all I played from Mistwalker is Blue Dragon, wich was great but still. All he's done was create Final Fantasy wanna be "clones". Sorry if that sounds mean or rude (thats not me). Sometimes I do expess my opinion to loudly. So sorry if I offend anyone, totally not my intentions...

Sep 26, 2013
So he left Final Fantasy and Square Enix for this???

I can't really speak since all I played from Mistwalker is Blue Dragon, wich was great but still. All he's done was create Final Fantasy wanna be "clones". Sorry if that sounds mean or rude (thats not me). Sometimes I do expess my opinion to loudly. So sorry if I offend anyone, totally not my intentions...
The failure of Spirits Within caused the board to increase Wada's role and lose all faith in both Suzuki and Sakaguchi.

Wada then implemented a business strategy that both Sakaguchi and Suzuki did not like. The board pretty much sided with Wada's vision when Enix started to back away from the merger. Not a tough decision to make really. Why would the board trust two guys who cost the company a lot of money?

To make sure Sakaguchi wouldn't do something stupid that would screw Wada over, he reduced his role in FFXII to pretty much nothing. At that point, it was loud and clear to Sakaguchi that he wasn't a part of the company anymore and left.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
The worst part is Suzuki and Sakaguchi wanted to create new IPs and not just milk Final Fantasy to death. You saw a lot of new stuff during the PSX era thanks to them.

Wada ended that. The business strategy that he implemented (polymorphic content) was one where they would take a single concept and make as much money as they can off of it across various platforms. It's why you see Final Fantasy being milked to death.

And now we have Matsuda, who is basically Wada 2.0.

It's sad because of what could have been. But at the same time, Sakaguchi set himself free and can pretty much do whatever he wants now.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Wow, I've learned a lot of information about this situation. I jumped to conclusion to fast about what he might have been doing without fully understanding how things went...

I know this may be impossible. But I would love if Sakaguchi could somehow join Square and return to how things were in the PSX era. With what has happened this is probably why we haven't gotten Parasite Eve III. The 3rd Birthday was good but, it lacked many things.

Thank you for taking the time to explain things to me, without being rude too. :- )

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I know this may be impossible. But I would love if Sakaguchi could somehow join Square and return to how things were in the PSX era. With what has happened this is probably why we haven't gotten Parasite Eve III. The 3rd Birthday was good but, it lacked many things.
A lot of people want a return to that era. The SNES and PSX days (the 90’s basically) are considered to be the company’s glory days and when they produced their best stuff. The talent pool was amazing. Look up the people who worked on games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI and watch your head explode. These two games basically had all the great talent in one spot.

I think the reason why we haven’t got PE3 is because it’s been a while since we saw PE2 and SE wants to reintroduce the IP to a new audience and build from that.

Thank you for taking the time to explain things to me, without being rude too. :- )
No problem. :)