Thoughts on Tales of?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Breif description of the TALES OF franchise :

Gameplay: ActionRPG with a 2D perspective(pre2005) or 3D perspective (2005-onward), no turnbase at all ;)
Plot : Here is where the thing gets interesting. It starts cliche storms (for like the first 2-4 hours or so) but later go on subvert and deconstruct the very tropes they employ, often by drastically highlighting the nasty downsites of them, and they do this on every game. This one of the many(and possibly main reason) why the games have a fanbase. (On a personal note: by no means its 24/7 perfect writing and sometimes the use of terminology becomes more insistent or annoying than even FFXIII's l'Cie and more)

TALES OF games on PS3 :
  • Tales of Vesperia (JP only)-2009
  • Tales of Graces-2010
  • Tales of Xillia-2011
  • Tales of Xillia 2-2012
  • Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (compilation and HD remaster of 2 games)-2013
  • Tales of Zestiria-2015
TALES OF games on 3DS:
  • Tales of the Abyss(port of a PS2 game)-2011

May 26, 2014
It starts cliche storms (for like the first 2-4 hours or so) but later go on subvert and deconstruct the very tropes they employ, often by drastically highlighting the nasty downsites of them, and they do this on every game.
I never got the whole "Tales deconstructs JRPG tropes!" thing. If anything, this series actually follows JRPG tropes to a T (which I personally don't mind).

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I never got the whole "Tales deconstructs JRPG tropes!" thing. If anything, this series actually follows JRPG tropes to a T (which I personally don't mind).
I never said that they deconstruct every JRPG tropes. Though the decontruction goes more from a story tropes point of view rather than genrer(JRPG).

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
I'm not sure where to start or where to end, but I think you should definitely give the series a try. Fun gameplay, lovable characters, amazing music, neat worlds! Give it a try.

May 26, 2014
wait, what? The Tales games have some of the most bland music in all of RPGs imo. They really need to just ditch Sakuraba already.

But yes, other than that this series is pretty solid. And the combat is awesome and addicting to the point where you're going to want to get into as many battles as possible. Also, you probably already know but almost all the Tales games are self-contained (like FF), so you can pretty much start anywhere.

Except Abyss. Stay far away from Abyss.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
wait, what? The Tales games have some of the most bland music in all of RPGs imo. They really need to just ditch Sakuraba already.

But yes, other than that this series is pretty solid. And the combat is awesome and addicting to the point where you're going to want to get into as many battles as possible. Also, you probably already know but almost all the Tales games are self-contained (like FF), so you can pretty much start anywhere.

Why? Tales of the Abyss is awesome !

May 26, 2014
Why? Tales of the Abyss is awesome !
I thought it was awful. I hated everything about it except the combat. I can go on and on about how truly horrendous I think it is, so I won't go into it (unless you want me to :p).

The elemental field thing was brilliant though, I'll give it that.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States

LOL I'm not sure why many people say this, I'd like to think they started with Tales of Graces because yes I can see why people would think Graces and Xillia soundtracks are lackluster, yet I still think they are good soundtracks. As for Tales having "bland" music of all RPG's I'd beg to differ, not sure what RPG's you are playing but Tales have plenty of good tracks.

That statement from many is an exaggeration pretty much like how people claim the FFXIII trilogy is the worse game ever, I mean darn we all have our opinions but that's just unfair or those people haven't played much games to think FFXIII is anything near "worse game ever". I have a ton of music from the Tales Series I want to share with you, I hope I don't go overboard with this post but I don't agree Tales music is most bland of RPG's (especially western ones) or any game genre in general.

Gonna have to post more due to 5 limit on media post.

Last edited:
May 26, 2014
@Crystal Power
Oh I'll admit there are certainly some standout tracks in the Tales series. Fury sparks is pretty great and I've always liked fighting of the spirit (surprised you didn't post that one!). There are a few others I like too and I also think Xillia had a better soundtrack than most.

But honestly for every memorable track in this series there're like 20 lackluster ones. There's nothing bad enough to make you want to mute the game, but there's hardly ever anything that stands out.

Ah well. Different strokes, I guess. I just really dislike Sakuraba's style for the most part.

They really need to get Go Shiina on more Tales soundtracks. See below.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
@ScienceNonfiction

Fighting of the spirit was on my list of what to post, as well as Fatalize. I can't agree for every good track there are 20 bads ones lol. I do think every game I've played has lackluster tracks, some more than others. But when I'm creating Playlists for Tales games it has around the same amount of the FF playlists. I just think the series music is really great.

I actually do like the idea of getting new composers for future Tales, even FF is moving away from Nobuo Uematsu. Seeing as how they brought Go Shiina back and used a new composer for the DLC music, her name is Eriko Sakurai.

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
I can recommend you Tales of Vesperia (X360). One of the best Tales of I've played.
Also, Tales of Xillia and Xillia 2 are very good games.

Right now I'm playing Tales of the Abyss on 3DS. It's looking good, but I'm not used to play this franchise on a handheld :p