Ultimania Interview Tidbit - Tabata on the changes from Versus.

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/5l54gy/spoilers_the_history_of_ffxv_from_scenario/

really interesting, the timeline is more detailed

255 Years Ago
"A mysterious object (Shigai - Starscourge Virus) is discovered by the Imperial Army. Treated as new life form."

31 Years Ago
[ 2 / 24 ~ 4 / 1 ] Battle of Lucis and Niflheim

King Mors (Noctis’s Grandfather) under strain from the Magitek army, is forced to reduce the Magic barrier from protecting the Kingdom of Lucis to just the city of Insomnia to maintain its strength and keep guarding the crystal. Prince Regis and his friends (Cid, Clarus, Weskham) who have been fighting on the front lines to defend the city retreat.

so the barrier actually protected the ENTIRE nation at some point

its confirmed that regis marries Auria after his "road trip"

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/5l54gy/spoilers_the_history_of_ffxv_from_scenario/

really interesting, the timeline is more detailed

255 Years Ago
"A mysterious object (Shigai - Starscourge Virus) is discovered by the Imperial Army. Treated as new life form."

31 Years Ago
[ 2 / 24 ~ 4 / 1 ] Battle of Lucis and Niflheim

King Mors (Noctis’s Grandfather) under strain from the Magitek army, is forced to reduce the Magic barrier from protecting the Kingdom of Lucis to just the city of Insomnia to maintain its strength and keep guarding the crystal. Prince Regis and his friends (Cid, Clarus, Weskham) who have been fighting on the front lines to defend the city retreat.

so the barrier actually protected the ENTIRE nation at some point

its confirmed that regis marries Auria after his "road trip"
In the highlighted translation, there is some slight mistakes.

A mysterious monster ''Daemon'' is discovered by the Imperial Army., treated as a new life form.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
The thing I find interesting is what they called them in Japanese: Shigai.
"Shigai" (Cie corpse) is what Cie'th were called in Japanese, no? Though it's in katakana here (シガイ) while the FF Wiki uses kanji for the second half when referring to Cie'th (シ骸).

Even more strangely, the soundtrack listing uses the English localization "Daemons" for their battle track. It's like they decided to make a break from FNC terminology, then backtracked for the Japanese version for some reason.

Here are a few more interesting tidbits of information (and the resulting implications) from the timeline, too:

Shiva attacked the Niflheim army a year after the raid on Tenebrae that killed Silva and left Luna in Imperial custody. Since Gentiana was staying in Tenebrae at the time, it's easy to imagine the attack personally.

IIRC, other information states that Ardyn was the one who killed Shiva. So, Shiva attacked Niflheim and wiped out most of their forces before Ardyn intervened, then went back to being Gentiana. This is probably what Ardyn was talking about when he said "This was the face you wore the day you..."

Also, the reason why Noct couldn't wake up in the Platinum Demo after the attack by Marilith was because he was infected with the Starscourge, which explains why he had to go to Tenebrae for healing.

Last edited:

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Regarding the opening topic at hand, i still feel this old deleted comment from Wan is still accurate today.

1473005653162.png

Last edited:

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
In the highlighted translation, there is some slight mistakes.

A mysterious monster ''Daemon'' is discovered by the Imperial Army., treated as a new life form.
That sounds so much like FF VII with Jenova how it crashed to the planet and killed almost every cetra with it's "virus".
And in XV the daemons attacked Niflheim like a virus.
Wish XV could show as a cutscene or CG what happened before the game starts (how Solheim was destroyed, battle of the gods, starscourge, Lucis vs Niflheim).

Nov 8, 2014
Wish XV could show as a cutscene or CG what happened before the game starts (how Solheim was destroyed, battle of the gods, starscourge, Lucis vs Niflheim).
wouldnt that just be a prequel game lol. did Niflheim researching daemons attract Ardyn's attettion? because he appeared 130 years after they started

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
That sounds so much like FF VII with Jenova how it crashed to the planet and killed almost every cetra with it's "virus".
And in XV the daemons attacked Niflheim like a virus.
It really does. That's what I thought too at first.

If they showed us that as a brief recounting of history, then that would be excellent.

wouldnt that just be a prequel game lol. did Niflheim researching daemons attract Ardyn's attettion? because he appeared 130 years after they started
Yeah that would be considered a prequel. However it doesn't have to take long to explain the history of Eos in game.

For example in FFX and FFX-2, the character Maechean was a scholar who lived for thousands of years and he retold the history of Spira to Tidus throughout the game.

Same scenario could happen with FFXV, or at least I hope so lol

Bunansa

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jan 3, 2017
I didn't expect my tweets to have such an impact lol. I'm so thankful that there is somebody like Shuya in the community. I can't imagine how many things we accept as facts about the series are wrong because of mistranslations.

Hi. I'm the translator that has had some of their stuff posted here.

I assumed the page was part of the QA since I don't have a physical copy in regard to the "unknown Ifrit" information.

Please come and talk to me instead of claiming I am trying to make up information. I'm not a professional translator and I've been doing this for friends, not as an official guide. This is all quite terrifying to me to see so much baseless assumption appear online when I'm only trying to have fun with my friends.

Thank you.
You didn't do anything wrong. I saw your translations spreading on twitter, and people were adding their own interpretations and accepting it as facts.

Last edited:

Bunansa

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jan 3, 2017
"Shigai" (Cie corpse) is what Cie'th were called in Japanese, no? Though it's in katakana here (シガイ) while the FF Wiki uses kanji for the second half when referring to Cie'th (シ骸).
シガイ(shigai) written as 屍骸 literally means "corpse". Even if it is based on the term from FNC, I think it's just a casual reference and nothing more.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
シガイ(shigai) written as 屍骸 literally means "corpse". Even if it is based on the term from FNC, I think it's just a casual reference and nothing more.
Heh, so the Japanese version of Cie'th was a pun instead of just "Cie" + "corpse?" I guess that'd up the plausible deniability factor.

With that said, "Lucii" and "Lucis" are a bit too close to l'Cie for me not to think they retained some FNC terminology, especially since daemons/シガイ and the Lucii share similar roles to Cie'th/シ骸 and l'Cie.

The Lucii are human kings who serve the crystal, just as the l'Cie did in FNC, and Ravus' daemon form is practically a Cie'th design with the body horror turned up to 11.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
Heh, so the Japanese version of Cie'th was a pun instead of just "Cie" + "corpse?" I guess that'd up the plausible deniability factor.

With that said, "Lucii" and "Lucis" are a bit too close to l'Cie for me not to think they retained some FNC terminology, especially since daemons/シガイ and the Lucii share similar roles to Cie'th/シ骸 and l'Cie.

The Lucii are human kings who serve the crystal, just as the l'Cie did in FNC, and Ravus' daemon form is practically a Cie'th design with the body horror turned up to 11.
I'd agree with you about both Shigai and Lucii. There's also the fact that a divine crystal essentially condemns both Noctis and Luna's lives and lines to death in service to a greater purpose with total disregard to human wants and loves. And the basic fact of what the Six seem to be within the world of Eos.

xXShuyaXx

Forest Owl
May 25, 2016

Well it could have different meanings. It's open to ideas as it's written in katakana and not kanji.

Here are some of the possible meanings.
1. Dead Corpse
2. Empty Corpse
3. Empty Shell
4. Death Shell

I think it may be a play off of the FFXIII Cie'th. But in XV, Daemons are a unknown entity, so the use of katakana and lack of concrete meaning may display exactly that. Even the name is unknown as much as the entities themselves. I think it's quite clever really.

Nov 8, 2014
Well it could have different meanings. It's open to ideas as it's written in katakana and not kanji.

Here are some of the possible meanings.
1. Dead Corpse
2. Empty Corpse
3. Empty Shell
4. Death Shell

I think it may be a play off of the FFXIII Cie'th. But in XV, Daemons are a unknown entity, so the use of katakana and lack of concrete meaning may display exactly that. Even the name is unknown as much as the entities themselves. I think it's quite clever really.

That makes sense. Daemons, much like Astrals, are mysterious to humans. They are an unknown quantity. Verstael only constructed magitek because Ardyn, a daemon infected person, enlightened him. Without these "gods" and "devils" appearing face to face before A, B, and C character the population would be a lot more clueless. However, we aren't shown any of this in a dramatic fashion. We have to put together all the details from this Ultimania bible and details in the ingame setting for that conclusion. Out of the 608 pages, many account for historical events.

Cie'th are a known quantity. People already know what they are, where they come from, and what they can do just like the wild life around. There's a lot more information on Cie'th to write an entire encyclopedia. But I would argue knowing all that knowledge won't contribute to Lighting's journey. its just a high concept idea that im not gonna remember

Last edited: