We can actually switch characters in FFXV!

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Unless it's a weird expression to talk about giving orders to characters that are not Noctis, consider me hyped as hell once again :cactuar:

Now just explain better how the battle system works and I'm golden. Thursday should be a good day (even if I have an exam lol).

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
Unless it's a weird expression to talk about giving orders to characters that are not Noctis, consider me hyped as hell once again :cactuar:

Now just explain better how the battle system works and I'm golden. Thursday should be a good day (even if I have an exam lol).
I could say the same about " You can only control Noctis" like it's a weird expression for " You can only use 1 character at a time" :p.

( I just think it was either for the demo, mistranslation/interpretation of the interviewer) lol

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, I'm thinking that too, it would have been really weird to change something that Nomura himself said was essential to the game last September, a year after Tabata filed the patent and joined.

But let's be cautious here, the description might be refering to change your main party of four characters and you only stick to Noctis :p (I don't think so, though, now I'm confident it'll be in the game).

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Yeah, I'm thinking that too, it would have been really weird to change something that Nomura himself said was essential to the game last September, a year after Tabata filed the patent and joined.

But let's be cautious here, the description might be refering to change your main party of four characters and you only stick to Noctis :p (I don't think so, though, now I'm confident it'll be in the game).
"the traditional party battle of Final Fantasy games" That little part right there gives a lot of confirmtion that it will be in the game, since in older FF games you can control everyone.

And let's just hope we will actually control all playable characters in the actual game itself, and not Square Enix trying to cheer us up and then crush our hopes and dreams to pieces when we get our hands on the game later.

I'm not sure why I'm being cautiously optimistic this week. I hope this is the case before pessimism takes over if things don't go my way.

Last edited:

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014
I could say the same about " You can only control Noctis" like it's a weird expression for " You can only use 1 character at a time" :p.

( I just think it was either for the demo, mistranslation/interpretation of the interviewer) lol
Taba said there were things he could not go into full detail because SE obviously just wouldn't let him like the auto block. So he gave it the best way he knew how I guess. When I saw the transliteration I think it means if Noc is in the party you can only use something about him, magic relates to the crystal, or if he dies it's game over. Something like that because Nomura wanted something like that. get it? idk

Leonhart

PSICOM Soldier
Hey, do you guys know that this can just means that you can change the party members right? Like put "Cor Leone" in the place of "Prompto" in the party or something like that.
They say "You can actually switch party members" not that you actually control them. Maybe It's just Noctis but you can chosse who will fight alongside you.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Hey, do you guys know that this can just means that you can change the party members right? Like put "Cor Leone" in the place of "Prompto" in the party or something like that.
They say "You can actually switch party members" not that you actually control them. Maybe It's just Noctis but you can chosse who will fight alongside you.
"Characters can move around the entire screen" They mention Character(s) can move around the whole screen.

They also say this:

"The traditional party battle of Final Fantasy games is evolved" Like good ol' FF, using everyone in your control.

Noctis is technically a party member, as he has HP and a place within the party of 4.

So saying " You can actually switch party members" so casually, like you will be able to switch out Noct as well. In the description they never really mention Noctis once.

Jul 29, 2014
Miami
Yeah, I was excited when I initially read the news. After reading the statement myself, I still feel a little uneasy with this system. The omission of just saying "You can control other party members" can still coincide with Tabata's earlier comments with "You can only control Noctis", if not, loosely so.

I know this was Nomura's original vision & it might be different now, but I do vaguely remember him saying Noctis must be in the party at all times, due to him being the reason the rest of the party can use magic, or something like that. So there could be some connection to Tabata's early comments on only controlling Noctis.

Ah, kinda hurts my head trying to decipher developer/PR talk & trying to read between the lines. It's almost as confusing as Microsoft's statement regarding Tomb Raider's exclusivity.

Or maybe we FF fans are just too deep in denial to admit this potentially watered down version of FF Versus XIII/XV might be the final product. :(

Tani

Yevonite
Oct 25, 2013
India
www.facebook.com
I'm pretty sure that literally means you can change party members like that in Kingdom Hearts. For example you can switch Goofy with Riku in the end of Kingdom Hearts 2 or something along those lines. You guys are really optimistic. It doesn't mention anywhere you can control the other party members. And i quote
the traditional party battle of Final Fantasy games is evolved
the part where it's said traditional and in the same line evolved is a bit confusing. As far as i've seen it has not a single element of the traditional Final Fantasy games and by elements i mean the turn based RPG that we had back in the days, so it's really surprising that they used the words. If that really is the case, that'd be surprising to see how they involve the traditional elements in the modern RPG that actually has Kingdom Hearts as it's base.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
The word that's throwing me off is "strategically", because that could very well mean your party line-up rather than the character you're playing as. It doesn't help that Japanese is a language so different to English and that SE isn't the most straightforward company.

To be fair, I remember Nomura in the Japanese Developer videos (Sep. 2013) describing FF as a game in which you would be pretty much switching characters all the time. But that doesn't mean anything, maybe they've even removed that feature to get the game out sooner.

But it's not a matter of being optimistic or pesimistic, it's just that last week it was almost sure that there wasn't going to be more than Noctis and this gives some hope, even if it may be just a party management thing.

King Bimpy

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 11, 2014

Yeah, I was excited when I initially read the news. After reading the statement myself, I still feel a little uneasy with this system. The omission of just saying "You can control other party members" can still coincide with Tabata's earlier comments with "You can only control Noctis", if not, loosely so.

I know this was Nomura's original vision & it might be different now, but I do vaguely remember him saying Noctis must be in the party at all times, due to him being the reason the rest of the party can use magic, or something like that. So there could be some connection to Tabata's early comments on only controlling Noctis.

Ah, kinda hurts my head trying to decipher developer/PR talk & trying to read between the lines. It's almost as confusing as Microsoft's statement regarding Tomb Raider's exclusivity.

Or maybe we FF fans are just too deep in denial to admit this potentially watered down version of FF Versus XIII/XV might be the final product. :(
yeah Nomumra said you cant use magic withotu Noc because the power realtes to him

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yep, given that that seems to be related to the plot, I guess that's still there (regarding the "Noctis dying=game over" thing I don't know anymore. If he's the only one you control, then obviously).

I wouldn't mind at all having to keep Noctis in the party all the time, since he seems to be the most versatile party member (especially if he's the source of magic) and, of course, the main character. Heck, that's something many FFs have done before. I just want variety regarding characters I control. Tabata, pls.

BTW, and a little offtopic, but what do you think it'll happen to KO'd members? I don't think they'll disappear like in XII, I guess they'll keep walking until a battle start and they'll be lying down again lol.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
It's anybody's guess. If I was ever a betting man, I would say it would show your allies lying on the floor KO'd based on the concept and how realistic the visuals are compared to XII, which looks like illustrations from a reading book (which I love so much). :D
And are you going to leave them lying on the ground to die and rot? :O It's a really silly thing, but I wonder how they're going to approach it. They could always do the trick and teleport them, since they already do that with weapons (and likely items or even the car!).

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Update: From what I've seen in the livestream, apparently PSN's info was wrong, and that we can't switch characters. Apparently that will make gameplay too complicated, so Tabata and his team removed that before last year's E3 showing of FFXV's trailer.
If you are getting your info based off of 'youtube comments", don't they are often wrong (trolling). And man those comments were an eyesore to read!

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
If you are getting your info based off of 'youtube comments", don't they are often wrong (trolling). And man those comments were an eyesore to read!
I've seen this info all around too, not from Youtube comments (they're the worst indeed): people from neogaf, Squex-GAL, Gematsu, Portal Square... they all have said that Tabata said that it was too dificult to implement (yeah, having only 5 characters that shouldn't be so different to Noctis must be hard. And I don't think balancing them to make them different should be a big problem, especially when you have had eight freaking years for planning (not talking about development).

So, yeah, another fantastic move from the competent people from SE (Tabata/Nomura/whoever). This thread's title makes me cry :(