We can actually switch characters in FFXV!

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
Personally i dont care if we cant switch characters. The original Persona 3 was like that. Where you could only set general tactic stuff, and seems this is the same way. So i dont see it being a bad game.

Leonhart

PSICOM Soldier
The only thing that I will miss was the possibility to aim with Prompto to hit weak points of the enemies. But I see that coming, all the gameplay mechanics are about Noctis powers, don't make much sense to change to another one. It would be great but is not "mandatory" for me. Maybe if they put some parts where you play with other character for some reason (like Noctis is captured or something like that) people stop to complain about it.

Or this can be via "mini-games like a third person shooter mini-game with Prompto or some type of race with Ignis driving too.

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
The only thing that I will miss was the possibility to aim with Prompto to hit weak points of the enemies. But I see that coming, all the gameplay mechanics are about Noctis powers, don't make much sense to change to another one. It would be great but is not "mandatory" for me. Maybe if they put some parts where you play with other character for some reason (like Noctis is captured or something like that) people stop to complain about it.

Or this can be via "mini-games like a third person shooter mini-game with Prompto or some type of race with Ignis driving too.
After 13-2, i can picture DLC with character specific chapters that go more in-depth to their mechanics.

Vaiyoretto

Balamb Garden Freshman
May 26, 2014
I don't really mind since I would probably want to play as Noct through the whole game anyway. And it worked fine in KH.

They should do a Stella's story DLC, where you play from her point of view of the story.

Last edited:

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
Or maybe no DLC at all...... I'd like a game with no DLC required. It's been a long time since we've had a game with no DLC (besides indie titles).
Honestly i o like DLC but with all the stuff they have developed from the Versus day i would honestly expect a complete game. Save for costume stuff since i do believe it will have them.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I don't think I'd buy any DLC to play as other characters, considering they've stated the combat is built around Noctis, and that it was too difficult to do character switching. I wouldn't pay a cent for it.

Myrodis19

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 15, 2014
Westminster, Maryland
I don't think I'd buy any DLC to play as other characters, considering they've stated the combat is built around Noctis, and that it was too difficult to do character switching. I wouldn't pay a cent for it.
Well i more so meant character specific dlc where you just play as that character, doing whatever they need to do.

DLC's fine, so long as it remains as superfluous and unnecessary add-ons. They can be chiefly cosmetic, and depending on where I happen to draw my line come the occasion, some optional boss battles can be just about acceptable too (as much as I'd rather they be there WITH the full game release package). Just don't go with the FFXIII-2 approach of shoving us into a colosseum in the middle of the game only to shunt us out a minute later because there's sod all there without paying more money.

Character specific DLC in principle would just leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth. If they're that constrained on time thanks to executive dictates that they HAVE to base it all on Noctis as the sole playable character now, I'd rather someone gives them the greenlight not to rush to meet a prospective release window. And ultimately, I'm not tremendously bothered at being locked to a single playable character, or the lack of playable female characters.

Besides, Tabata made the remark that they wouldn't release the game in segments anyway, which I hopefully interpret as FFXV coming out as more or less an essentially complete release package, and with a decent enough closure. If he can be the anti-Riccitiello (or anti-EA in general), that'd be grand. I've had enough of the western branch of Square-Enix and their triple-A ilk declaring this whole "games as services" crap that it would be refreshing to see a triple-A release on the market that DOESN'T have moderately significant DLC available at the very first week.

wmlk

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 5, 2014
Update: From what I've seen in the livestream, apparently PSN's info was wrong, and that we can't switch characters. Apparently that will make gameplay too complicated, so Tabata and his team removed that before last year's E3 showing of FFXV's trailer.
Character switching and leader switching are fundamentally different things. You can probably switch characters, like Prompto for Cor.

May 26, 2014
Character switching and leader switching are fundamentally different things. You can probably switch characters, like Prompto for Cor.
Y'know, I don't know why I think this, as it isn't based on anything other than pure, groundless speculation, but I really don't think we'll have any party members other than the main 4 for the vast majority of the game. I can see guests here and there, sure. But I'm fully under the impression that the only party members we'll have for any decent length of time are Noctis, Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis.

Again, I have no idea why I think this and I'm literally just guessing here.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Seeing as how Noctis is only playable I'm sure these four are only used. Not to mention if Noctis made the others so useless they aren't even needed to play as, what would be the point of more NPC's that fight by you side when Prompto, Gladiolos, and Ignis does pretty much everything else for support?

Was it even confirmed that Cor 'joins' you? There's no reason for him to join since Noctis is only playable and takes care of everything other than back up from others.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Seeing as how Noctis is only playable I'm sure these four are only used. Not to mention if Noctis made the others so useless they aren't even needed to play as, what would be the point of more NPC's that fight by you side when Prompto, Gladiolos, and Ignis does pretty much everything else for support?

Was it even confirmed that Cor 'joins' you? There's no reason for him to join since Noctis is only playable and takes care of everything other than back up from others.
Uh, different abilities? Ask that same question about Kingdom Hearts.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Uh, different abilities? Ask that same question about Kingdom Hearts.
But one could perfectly complete Kingdom Hearts with Donald and Goofy forever by their side. Not to mention there's no reason since Noctis has all abilities and weapons, unlike Sora. So there, I asked that question to Kindgom Hearts and there's the answer.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
But one could perfectly complete Kingdom Hearts with Donald and Goofy forever by their side. Not to mention there's no reason since Noctis has all abilities and weapons, unlike Sora. So there, I asked that question to Kindgom Hearts and there's the answer.
First off Noctis doesn't use guns, at least not anymore it would seem, so he doesn't actually use every weapon. Plus, we don't know what other weapons will be added in the game.

Also, considering other characters have different play styles, you would control their AI to fit the situation of the battle, as well as which characters you would use, similarly to how you would do it with Kingdom Hearts. Another thing similar to Kingdom Hearts, is having specific special abilities that only you and that character can do, like Noctis and Ignis with the cross slash style move.

Just because Noctis can warp and can use a variety of weapons does not make it undesirable to change characters...

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
First off Noctis doesn't use guns, at least not anymore it would seem, so he doesn't actually use every weapon. Plus, we don't know what other weapons will be added in the game.

Also, considering other characters have different play styles, you would control their AI to fit the situation of the battle, as well as which characters you would use, similarly to how you would do it with Kingdom Hearts. Another thing similar to Kingdom Hearts, is having specific special abilities that only you and that character can do, like Noctis and Ignis with the cross slash style move.

Just because Noctis can warp and can use a variety of weapons does not make it undesirable to change characters...
Well, well, this all just goes back to my complaint to why I wish there were more playable characters! Unless you're dense, you should have known my first post saying how the other characters being not needed was mild sarcasm.

You're right Noctis doesn't use guns and etc. Therefore enforcing my argument that it would have been far more enjoyable to feature more playable characters. But since that prove to be to "difficult" they might as well keep these 4 as a party other that trying to innovate other "difficult" add ons.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Well, well, this all just goes back to my complaint to why I wish there were more playable characters! Unless you're dense, you should have known my first post saying how the other characters being not needed was mild sarcasm.

You're right Noctis doesn't use guns and etc. Therefore enforcing my argument that it would have been far more enjoyable to feature more playable characters. But since that prove to be to "difficult" they might as well keep these 4 as a party other that trying to innovate other "difficult" add ons.
There's no need to be hostile, and there will almost certainly be more characters, I'm not sure what you're saying here.

As for your point about only controlling Noctis somehow meaning they can't add more party members, that makes no sense at all. The battle system revolves around Noctis, that's why they aren't letting you control other characters. I don't even understand what you mean by "innovating other difficult add ons", adding new party members is not difficult.

Balancing gameplay with other characters is not as easy as adding more characters. I don't see what your point here is, you sound like you're mad because we can't switch characters. You need to accept that this is how it works, if you don't like it, don't get hostile with me, get hostile with Square Enix.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
There's no need to be hostile, and there will almost certainly be more characters, I'm not sure what you're saying here.

As for your point about only controlling Noctis somehow meaning they can't add more party members, that makes no sense at all. The battle system revolves around Noctis, that's why they aren't letting you control other characters. I don't even understand what you mean by "innovating other difficult add ons", adding new party members is not difficult.

Balancing gameplay with other characters is not as easy as adding more characters. I don't see what your point here is, you sound like you're mad because we can't switch characters. You need to accept that this is how it works, if you don't like it, don't get hostile with me, get hostile with Square Enix.
I'm being hostile? Heh! I'm just giving you a taste of your own medicine. It doesn't taste very good doesn't it? And if that is hostile then that's how I've felt you've treated others, including me!

Well, maybe you should enhance your reading level because I made no mistake with my words and they should be very understandable. Since when did it only revolve around Noctis? Since it becoming Final Fantasy XV? I CLEARLY recall Nomura saying the other character's being playable due to this being a Final Fantasy title and not Kingdom Hearts, if it would help I'd even search for that interview.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I'm being hostile? Heh! I'm just giving you a taste of your own medicine. It doesn't taste very good doesn't it? And if that is hostile then that's how I've felt you've treated others, including me!

Well, maybe you should enhance your reading level because I made no mistake with my words and they should be very understandable. Since when did it only revolve around Noctis? Since it becoming Final Fantasy XV? I CLEARLY recall Nomura saying the other character's being playable due to this being a Final Fantasy title and not Kingdom Hearts, if it would help I'd even search for that interview.
I've apologized if I've come off strong in the past, it's never my intentions to offend or upset anyone on these forums, it's simply the way I make a point, it is not to offend or cause harm to anyone. We all have different opinions on here, this intentional form of hostility towards me is quite uncomfortable.

I do not understand you, insult my comprehension skills if you must, but I don't see what your original argument is. I want to switch characters as well simply for the novelty of it, but it's not my choice in gameplay. There are still advantages to having different party members even if you cannot control them, that was my point. This just seems to have elevated into trying to intentionally offend me and it's becoming off topic, so I think I'll end things here.

As I've said, it's never my intentions to offend anyone on these forums, I value everyone's opinions, and enjoy the discussion greatly.