Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Announced for PS4 and XB1

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
May 26, 2014
Type-0 screenshot.png

Looks very good in my opinion (based on the one image we have). But this is SE, so of course you can expect them to deliver in terms of visuals.

Still a little bummed that it's not coming to Vita, but hey, I'll take what I can get. At least it's coming after all this time.

yeah_93 said:
but there is a possibility it's going to take a while.
Yeah, I'm personally going into this with the mindset that it won't be released for some time. Maybe it's just me trying not to get too hyped, but I feel like it won't come out in the near future.

Sep 26, 2013
I half-imagine Hashimoto informing Nomura: "it's fine now. We have another Final Fantasy game to release for the consoles, and it'll sate the gaijins for the time being. If we still need more time for FFXV, we can afford it! 2017? 2017!"
I bet it's something along the lines of, "Rise of the Tomb Raider is our big title for holiday 2015, so we can push Final Fantasy XV into 2016 and we'll be just fine!"

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
If it were up to me I'd not just up the graphics and localize it on PS4. I'd changed the battle system. I'd give the option to be full co-op (over the net and in the home). I'd add the ability to use summons without sacrificing party members (instead all three members vanish and you control the summon, you have to do damage and cancel the summoning before the summon HP runs out our you'll be penalized, this'll prevent abuse of the summon). And I'd make sure to make all party members more of a group of people instead of throw away units that way. That feeling comes to me when I tried Tactics games. You'd end up letting characters die just to drop more of a boss's HP and let another ally kill it. I've seen that a lot when people play the game on Youtube. Recklessly throwing the heroes into situations that were avoidable, then summoning when they were about to die, and then winning the battle with the replacing set of characters.

I bet it's something along the lines of, "Rise of the Tomb Raider is our big title for holiday 2015, so we can push Final Fantasy XV into 2016 and we'll be just fine!"
I guess Tomb Raider is saving their company now. How long before FF is forgotten I wonder with all the problems that keep hampering it's name?

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I guess Tomb Raider is saving their company now. How long before FF is forgotten I wonder with all the problems that keep hampering it's name?
Saving their company...? Isn't that a bit... excessive? How long before FF is forgotten? Certainly not any time soon, really I don't see how anyone would have this mindset.

As some will know, I was expecting XV at E3, but with all these games/announcements at E3, it makes sense as to why it's not being shown now, and will come up later this year instead. FF will not be forgotten any time soon, nor are games like Tomb Raider holding Square Enix together.

About the Vita version, I honestly don't care if they made it on the Vita, I feel like they should, but really I don't mind. I'm glad it's coming to the consoles more so, since I feel like a large audience of consumers does not want to buy mobile platform. Everyone has a smart phone, AGITO is a safe bet, the install base is much larger than any console or handheld device.

Putting Type-0 HD on the console is a SAFE move above all, it ensures that the game will reach its target audience, as more people will have this current generation of consoles now or soon into the future. It is a risky decision to only release the game on Vita alone, so having the console version I think is critical.

Perhaps Vita crossplay integration, perhaps remote play only, either way, I'm happy to see Type-0 reach its international audience after all these years, nice to see that Square Enix is giving the fans what they want in the best way possible. Moving forward, I think everyone should remember this when they ask themselves if Square Enix cares about their fans.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I don't want FF to be forgotten or for Square to become less and less about RPGs, but look at what's happening. Years go by and they make ok games here and there then mostly bad ones. People write them off as gimmick this, or milking a title that. I love Square. But even I can deny that most of the time I find myself struggling to stay positive about the decision they make or what they put out. I've fought the good fight and tried to stay positive, but as far as I've seen, it looks like Squirrel's trolling has got some facts behind it. TR games, even though I'm no fan of them, seem to be handled well and selling well. I want Square to succeed, and want them to go back to doing mainly RPGs. But the older I get and longer I wait, the more I see that I'm just gonna have to get used to only getting 1 or 2 games a year. And sometimes neither will be a Square RPG. That said, I'm gonna try to stay a Square fan as long as they're giving their stories their all.

Looked over that thread, man they are a bunch of whiners.
Ehh, while the extent of the whining borders on semi-juvenile territory from time to time, I don't necessarily blame them for their discontent. A Vita version was deemed the most logical platform to put a remaster on, and Vita owners have been a significant part of the grassroots campaign when it became evident that a PSP western release would be increasingly unlikely. Plus there's the fact that the Vita has been genuinely sidelined this E3, and Sony treating it like a ginger stepchild is little consolation either, with how piecemeal the attention appropriated to it has been.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Ehh, while the extent of the whining borders on semi-juvenile territory from time to time, I don't necessarily blame them for their discontent. A Vita version was deemed the most logical platform to put a remaster on, and Vita owners have been a significant part of the grassroots campaign when it became evident that a PSP western release would be increasingly unlikely. Plus there's the fact that the Vita has been genuinely sidelined this E3, and Sony treating it like a ginger stepchild is little consolation either, with how piecemeal the attention appropriated to it has been.
It would make sense it the game were to be a full remake, something hinted at by the quality of the screenshots and the lack of a previous gen version. I would agree though, that if I were a Vita owner, asking Square and Sony to localize the original game and port it to the Vita for months, I would be really pissed. It's not the end of the world, at least we are getting what so far seems to be a superior version of the game, but still, I can't help but to feel sad for neglected Vita owners.

Sep 26, 2013
Square Enix must be demanding some amazing incentives for a PSVita version. Or they just realize that Sony isn't really doing anything to improve hardware numbers and aren't going to risk it.

Nov 29, 2013
Vita is gaining ground in Japan. Last I checked it had lifetime sales of 2 million units against the 3DS' 6 million and was selling really well thanks to Sword Art Online (or some other game). There are no signs that the sales are going to dwindle. On the other hand, Vita is struggling internationally.

Seeing as the Vita isn't doing bad in Japan, I'm assuming that the PS4 and XB1 versions are in part to expand the FF fanbase. Yoshinori Kitase has said before that a lot of younger FF fans are ones who played Dissidia, Type-0, but none of the other FFs, further elaborating on how SE have been trying to bring this younger audience into main FF titles.

Looking in this context, the lack of a Vita version makes sense. By having exclusivity to home consoles, the HD Remaster would convince a reasonable amount of Type-0 fans to buy a PS4. Think of it as an entry point into FFXV. More young FF fans own a PS4 and Type-0 HD, which in turn creates interest for FFXV. My take on the Vita omission is that it was deliberate, in order to get more of the younger fans buy a main FF title.

That being said, PS4 and XB1 have been doing great internationally, as opposed to the Vita, which is struggling. Localising Type-0, a game international fans have been wanting for years, as well as making it one of the first Final Fantasy games to release on next-gen consoles almost ensures that sales will go well. The way I see it, it's like hitting two birds with one stone.

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
Looked over that thread, man they are a bunch of whiners.
No Doubt. They just act like they want/know everything but they are just whiny gamers who can't have a good life. They should be happy that Type-0 was announced! Man. Nothing can satisfy people.

We you think about it twice, it's only logical a Vita version won't be made. Honestly as much a I love the machine, it's probably gonna be killed in the west sooner than we all think. Sony isn't pushing hardware sales for it and April's NPD numbers said it sold 5000 only. That's very sad. At the end of the day we're getting a very superior-looking version of the game we all wanted.

Now to make them talk about XV and KH3 and of course, more info on this.