Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Announced for PS4 and XB1

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I'm not miffed about the "No Vita" thing. I've been planning on a PS4 for awhile. Type-0 will be just another addition to long list of games I plan to buy once I acquire the console.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
One thing I wonder about this now is will it definitely be a digital only title? I hope not. I hope there is the option to buy a CE disc...and not the bullshit they pulled with Drakengard 3 where the CE contained a digital code in EU but not in NA. As an FF game, I really hope a disc version will be an option, whether it's a standard version or LE or CE or whatever.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
One thing I wonder about this now is will it definitely be a digital only title? I hope not. I hope there is the option to buy a CE disc...and not the bullshit they pulled with Drakengard 3 where the CE contained a digital code in EU but not in NA. As an FF game, I really hope a disc version will be an option, whether it's a standard version or LE or CE or whatever.
I thought there was supposed to be a physical version.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Phew. Mind at ease now. If anything, it would have been odd not to do a physical release for an FF game.

Sep 29, 2013
I wish they would have given us more info about the game. We still dont know if it's just a simple HD remaster like we've seen on the PS3 or if it's more like Wind Waker HD where they went in and dramatically overhauled the graphics.

Seeing as how they plan a physical release for the PS4/Xbox One...you would think they would do more than just raise the resolution, but Square Enix is completely unpredictable so i have no idea what to expect. I'm just glad they are localizing it, i've wanted to play this game for a long time.

Sep 26, 2013
Thought this would be relevant.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/18/5820824/indies-third-party-games-are-vitas-focus-moving-forward

Basically, Sony is done making 1st party games for the PSVita and are focusing on third party and indie games.

Can't really blame Square Enix for porting Type-0 to consoles now. The message Sony is sending here is that they're not confident in the PSVita. If they're not confident then why should 3rd party developers be? The situation with the PSVita is a difficult one as the big players either never gave strong support or have dropped out. But now they're making it more difficult.

It's hard to blame Square Enix for the decision they made. They made the right call as far as I'm concerned.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Agree; I don't blame SE at all for the decision they made. I'd like it to come to Vita because that's where so many of the actual fans that want to play Type-0 are. At this point, it's more of a goodwill gesture. But in a long term business point of view, it makes more sense to simply ignore it. I'd wager that most of those that really want to play the game will end up getting (or already have) a PS4/XBO anyway.

It's a bit like the third party situation on Wii U. Difference there is that Nintendo is actively supporting its console with lots of strong first party titles to keep it afloat. Bit of a different situation, though, because it's a home console, and Nintendo can't really afford to just abandon it. The backlash would probably be very strong from fans that bought one. But clearly Sony isn't that arsed about the reaction from Vita owners.

Sony's probably doing the right thing tbh. Vita is a bomb in the West. Is there really much point pumping money into first party titles for it which no one will buy? If Type-0 does ever come to Vita, it'll be a very lucky blessing, but it'll likely be the last high-profile game to do so.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
They never localized it because of the PSP's death in the west, so doing the same thing with the Vita would seem like the logical decision.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
As I believe I've said before, I honestly don't care if it's not on the Vita, it's not like people enjoyed the game because it was on PSP in the first place, putting it on the consoles just means that it will look/perform better.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I hope there will be extra content in this update. I'd love to see the characters receive more development and witness/playthrough one of the previous cycles. The world of Orience is right up there with Spira in Final Fantasy settings I find to be well thought out and highly engrossing.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
£55 lol. Hilarious. If anything, this is what a full remake should cost, not a remaster.

Got my FFX/X-2 HD Limited Edition for £20.

Sep 26, 2013
He's just speculating.

And it seems like people don't want to face the harsh reality that PSVita is a failure in the west and is selling terribly. Even Sony isn't supporting it with their first party offerings anymore.

One cannot just blame Square Enix for this decision. Sony also deserves to be blamed as well.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I know it's not selling great, but a lot games are being announced for it. It's doing something right by adding to it's library. People who have it already, at least, can get some good games here and there on it.

EDIT:
I wouldn't want this, but since 3DS has a huge library and sells well (dominates the handheld biz) maybe they should've put Type-0 on that. Or at least Agito.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
£55 lol. Hilarious. If anything, this is what a full remake should cost, not a remaster.

Got my FFX/X-2 HD Limited Edition for £20.
Pretty sure it will be close to a full remake considering it's going from PSP to PS4 though... They're not just going to upscale the graphics for PS4, if they were doing that, they would just release it on PS3. This is definitely going to be something they recreate all of the assets for.

Sep 26, 2013
I know it's not selling great, but a lot games are being announced for it. It's doing something right by adding to it's library. People who have it already, at least, can get some good games here and there on it.
They're adding a bunch of niche Japanese titles to PlayStation Vita's library. If you love those type of games then yeah it's great! But if you don't then no. Unfortunately those games don't have mass appeal and aren't going to increase the install base.

EDIT:
I wouldn't want this, but since 3DS has a huge library and sells well (dominates the handheld biz) maybe they should've put Type-0 on that. Or at least Agito.
Final Fantasy Type-0 was designed with Sony's demographic in mind. To be more specific, the game was designed to appeal to Japanese gamers. That's why it's not coming to the 3DS. Nintendo does not target Sony's demographic. Resident Evil Revelations on Nintendo 3DS didn't sell well for this very reason.

Has nothing to do with porting costs as it's being ported to XBox One and PlayStation 4.