Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Didn't they specifically say that the Afrojack trailer was for the general public and not for existing FF fans, though? :p They said any game footage, thereafter, would be catered towards fans.
I don't remember seeing anything about it being for the general public. It's a fluff trailer, nothing more.

Did they say it was to promote the game to the general public, or did they call is a general trailer? Because the latter is another way of wording my point.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
I don't remember seeing anything about it being for the general public. It's a fluff trailer, nothing more.
A translation from Lunafreya:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/73954030

"As for the Afrojack trailer, they wanted to open to a wider audience and show something different from the usual trailers showing the same thing."

That's just a synopsis, not the quote - I can't seem to find the full quote, presently - but you get the gist.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
A translation from Lunafreya:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/73954030

"As for the Afrojack trailer, they wanted to open to a wider audience and show something different from the usual trailers showing the same thing."

That's just a synopsis, not the quote - I can't seem to find the full quote, presently - but you get the gist.
Yeah. That's still basically what I'm saying, though. Regardless of the target, it's an alternate trailer for fluff. Not the big main trailer people were expecting it to be.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Yeah. That's still basically what I'm saying, though. Regardless of the target, it's an alternate trailer for fluff. Not the big main trailer people were expecting it to be.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'fluff'.

You think they purposely put out a lacklustre trailer?
I think their marketing is just hit and miss. Awesome at Uncovered, meh at E3 - but now the new KG trailer is awesome again.

I don't think it was fluff so much as them trying to target a new audience, not understanding what they were doing and just confusing everybody.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
I'm not sure what you mean by 'fluff'.

You think they purposely put out a lacklustre trailer?
I think their marketing is just hit and miss. Awesome at Uncovered, meh at E3 - but now the new KG trailer is awesome again.

I don't think it was fluff so much as them trying to target a new audience, not understanding what they were doing and just confusing everybody.
There's nothing lackluster about the trailer, for one. But for another, no. Why would you think I would think they intentionally put bad trailers out there? Games don't usually get 15 trailers like this. Some of them are for selling the game. Others are just to keep the hype train moving. I'm saying the afrojack trailer, along with most of the stuff at E3, isn't up to the same level of quality as the main trailers because they're bonus fluff to keep the marketing train moving. It wasn't so much a trailer as it was a little re-cut of mostly existing clips. They can't all be like the Uncovered or reveal trailer, and I'm saying this because it would almost necessarily mean that there's still one more major trailer left to show up.

Edit: Filler! That's the word I'm thinking of. It's a filler trailer.

Last edited:
Btw, I hope someone records or tweets about the several FFXV tech talks at SIGGRAPH throughout this week starting from today. Are these talks generally public? If someone sees something, post here! Thanks.

Today:

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/angry-effects-salad

Visual Effects of Final Fantasy XV: Concept, Environment, and Implementation

This talk presents the concept for the visual effects of Final Fantasy XV and the node-based approach used to improve the productivity and flexibility of the workflow. It also explains the technical problems and solutions developed for the environment.

Tuesday:

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/building-character

Character Workflow of Final Fantasy XV

This talk presents how to create character assets with superior quality and performance for display on a game console. It also summarizes construction of a workflow to efficiently produce these sorts of character assets on a large scale.

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/brain-brawn

• Final Fantasy XV: Pulse and Traction of Characters

This talk presents the architecture and animation used in Final Fantasy XV. The goal was for players to feel the pulse and traction of the characters in a world that mixes fantasy and reality.​
  • Rendering Techniques of Final Fantasy XV

This talk presents the core graphics technologies used to render and light the seamless and dynamic world of the upcoming title Final Fantasy XV.​

Wednesday:

http://s2016.siggraph.org/talks/sessions/playing-god

Environment Workflow of Final Fantasy XV

This talk explains how the immense and unique world of Final Fantasy XV was created: the technologies and development environment that allow users to experience the world imagined by the artists as if it were real.
---

EDIT:
Thanks to GAF's @Ketaya:

The second one on tuesday is being streamed here:

For the others we need to wait until SE uploads the slides to their website.
Usually they put them up here: http://www.jp.square-enix.com/tech/publications.html

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
There's nothing lackluster about the trailer, for one. But for another, no. Why would you think I would think they intentionally put bad trailers out there? Games don't usually get 15 trailers like this. Some of them are for selling the game. Others are just to keep the hype train moving. I'm saying the afrojack trailer, along with most of the stuff at E3, isn't up to the same level of quality as the main trailers because they're bonus fluff to keep the marketing train moving. It wasn't so much a trailer as it was a little re-cut of mostly existing clips. They can't all be like the Uncovered or reveal trailer, and I'm saying this because it would almost necessarily mean that there's still one more major trailer left to show up.
Exactly how I feel, the Afrojack trailer was actually pretty good in my opinion, the reason most people don't like it is because of the music choice, otherwise the content itself is actually really cool. It's just another trailer that people are supposed to see and go "woah what's this game about" not "here's the next big story trailer for FFXV".

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Exactly how I feel, the Afrojack trailer was actually pretty good in my opinion, the reason most people don't like it is because of the music choice, otherwise the content itself is actually really cool. It's just another trailer that people are supposed to see and go "woah what's this game about" not "here's the next big story trailer for FFXV".
I edited to add this after the fact. The word I was looking for was "Filler".

I liked the trailer a lot. It's actually cut fairly well. There's something about dubstep that bothers certain people, though. It reminds me a lot of when rap started getting popular. People who weren't feelin it weren't just not feelin' it, they, like, got angry about it. So, I get that it's not for everyone, but my point was that it's just filler anyway, so if this one wasn't for you, just wait for the real ones.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
And before I get accused of just being an apologist here, the Dawn trailer was NOT filler. That was a poorly represented tech demo that only works if you know that's what it was. I'd still call it overall a miss on their part for not making it clearer. This isn't a catch-all for explaining away bad marketing. It's me actually describing what appears to be their marketing strategy. It's up to the individual to decide whether or not that it's a good strategy.

(my personal opinions is that it does, considering the number of people glued to their PC monitors and mobile phones waiting for whatever is coming next)

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
You're making it sound like it was intended to be 'filler'. There are plenty of new cutscenes mixed in with the gameplay. It's not E3 2013 levels of story trailer, obviously - but, there's enough new content here to consider it a full and serious trailer. Including the scenes with the Regalia/Airships, the Ardyn cutscenes and the guys in Insomnia elevates it beyond a simple gameplay trailer.

There was plenty of new gameplay, too. It was just a 'meh' showing. Some of the more recent clips (the dagger footage from the DLC promo, for instance)were better, imo. Even the MS segment, which was entirely gameplay was a poor showing (due to Mat). However, full gameplay segments like the Niflheim Base Trailer were amazing.

It's just some trailers have been good and some have been not so good. There's no need to label it as 'filler'. It's an earnest attempt and it just wasn't their best,

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff

There's a current collaboration campaign going on for Japan and American Express that lasts until August 31st. That said, this is also another advertisement in game that will show up in some shops in XV.

Interesting tie ins and I feel they are a lot better than something like Mountain Dew and Doritos. While I understand people don't like that it says "American" express, I don't really see why it's a problem considering you're not even going to spend any time in the game looking at these things in the window anyways.

Anyways, I've seen people praise the IQ being better in this screen shot and others say that it's shit because of the shop interior... I feel like people don't get that this is a video game or something and are caring a little too much about things that don't really matter that much.

I think the screen shot looks great, the IQ is definitely a lot better, looking forward to those SIGGRAPH sessions.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
You're making it sound like it was intended to be 'filler'. There are plenty of new cutscenes mixed in with the gameplay. It's not E3 2013 levels of story trailer, obviously - but, there's enough new content here to consider it a full and serious trailer. Including the scenes with the Regalia/Airships, the Ardyn cutscenes and the guys in Insomnia elevates it beyond a simple gameplay trailer.

There was plenty of new gameplay, too. It was just a 'meh' showing. Some of the more recent clips (the dagger footage from the DLC promo, for instance)were better, imo. Even the MS segment, which was entirely gameplay was a poor showing (due to Mat). However, full gameplay segments like the Niflheim Base Trailer were amazing.

It's just some trailers have been good and some have been not so good. There's no need to label it as 'filler'. It's an earnest attempt and it just wasn't their best,
Eh, personally I think the Afrojack trailer is actually one of my more favorite recent trailers in terms of showcasing the many areas of the game, and it helps that I enjoy the music.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member

There's a current collaboration campaign going on for Japan and American Express that lasts until August 31st. That said, this is also another advertisement in game that will show up in some shops in XV.

Interesting tie ins and I feel they are a lot better than something like Mountain Dew and Doritos. While I understand people don't like that it says "American" express, I don't really see why it's a problem considering you're not even going to spend any time in the game looking at these things in the window anyways.

Anyways, I've seen people praise the IQ being better in this screen shot and others say that it's shit because of the shop interior... I feel like people don't get that this is a video game or something and are caring a little too much about things that don't really matter that much.

I think the screen shot looks great, the IQ is definitely a lot better, looking forward to those SIGGRAPH sessions.
Lol. I don't mind it, personally. They've got tonnes of their own branded stuff in shops, so it'll hardly be noticeable.

It just makes America canon, in FFXV XD

Make Final Fantasy Great Again.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
You're making it sound like it was intended to be 'filler'
Yes, I think it was intentionally filler. You're adding more meaning to that than is intended, it looks like.Being filler doesn't mean they just let some interns have a field day with a video editor. It means it's extra stuff above what a normal project would do, and thus, somewhat diluted.

It's just some trailers have been good and some have been not so good.
I'm explaining WHY some have been good and some have been not as good. And it's because some of them are filler, because their strategy appears to be based on constantly trickling things out and they can't possibly make 15 perfect trailers. That means some of them are filler by definition.