Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
Yes, I think it was intentionally filler. You're adding more meaning to that than is intended, it looks like.Being filler doesn't mean they just let some interns have a field day with a video editor. It means it's extra stuff above what a normal project would do, and thus, somewhat diluted.

I'm explaining WHY some have been good and some have been not as good. And it's because some of them are filler, because their strategy appears to be based on constantly trickling things out and they can't possibly make 15 perfect trailers. That means some of them are filler by definition.
Our views diverge, here.

I believe they had every intention of these being 'wow' presentations, but it just didn't work out that way - and that's fine. You don't go into the biggest gaming expo in the World, a few months before release with the mind of putting out filler - even if you're just getting over a big event like Uncovered.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I disagree, again going back to the point of this exchange (that really wasn't meant to be a huge debate in the first place) in that they clearly have their A game when it's the appropriate time for it, as evidenced by that KG trailer. While the trailer before it, the one they showed at E3, appears to be a bit of filler. Because they had the real trailer planned for after E3, but needed something to represent the movie. Just as I'm saying the Afrojack trailer was also filler because they weren't planning to drop the big trailer yet. You can disagree if you'd like, but I feel like that assumes incompetence beyond what one would reasonably expect from a major videogame publisher.

Like with gamescom last year, I just don't think they have the same level of respect for the events that some of the fans do. They have their own timetable

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Can't say I love these in-game ads, especially those as blatant as American Express.

But to be fair, it's not like FF hasn't had weird stuff going on before: FF VII had Korean dishes, Texas neon signs and even a FF version of a real-life place like Costa del Sol (a region in Southern Spain, around the Mediterranean side). As long as they aren't annoyingly featured, I'm fine. Whatever makes them alleviate all the budget spent.

Also, that IQ is really good, isn't it? Just compared it to the ones in the demos, and they're worlds apart in that regard, Noctis' hair being the biggest giveaway. I really want this to run and look well enough, and with this and the Titan's demo's performance, it seems that way.

Oct 19, 2013
Can't say I love these in-game ads, especially those as blatant as American Express.

But to be fair, it's not like FF hasn't had weird stuff going on before: FF VII had Korean dishes, Texas neon signs and even a FF version of a real-life place like Costa del Sol (a region in Southern Spain, around the Mediterranean side). As long as they aren't annoyingly featured, I'm fine. Whatever makes them alleviate all the budget spent.

Also, that IQ is really good, isn't it? Just compared it to the ones in the demos, and they're worlds apart in that regard, Noctis' hair being the biggest giveaway. I really want this to run and look well enough, and with this and the Titan's demo's performance, it seems that way.
Nice catch! Reposted your post on GAF and Ketaya over there found one real-life reference in Versus - "British Cafe & Tea"

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I had forgotten about that, even though I must have watched the 2011 trailer 50 times by now!

Also, didn't Prompto wear a brand (beyond Roen) that's real? I can't for the life of me find it, but I remember it being a thing during the E3 2013 trailer :/

So yeah, it's hardly a new thing for FF (the references to our world, I mean) and I actually find a few of those endearing (the Korean dish one I always found pretty fun; same goes for Costa del Sol, as I've been in the actual place a few times haha).

Oct 19, 2013
I had forgotten about that, even though I must have watched the 2011 trailer 50 times by now!

Also, didn't Prompto wear a brand (beyond Roen) that's real? I can't for the life of me find it, but I remember it being a thing during the E3 2013 trailer :/

So yeah, it's hardly a new thing for FF (the references to our world, I mean) and I actually find a few of those endearing (the Korean dish one I always found pretty fun; same goes for Costa del Sol, as I've been in the actual place a few times haha).
Brixton, a British clothing brand:

Source: https://twitter.com/obsqura/status/471986611027079168

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Fugg, I knew it had an "x" somewhere and that the symbol was an animal. Seems I was wrong guessing the year and was actually found in 2014, though.

On another note, didn't expect another demo so soon (expected it at TGS, while at Gamescom we would have gotten a trailer and the tradition bunch of screenshots and magazine coverage). Pretty nice, I wonder what it is about if it's a new one. Hopefully it features a large battle with a good number of enemies. After PD and the Titan demo, I want to see a lenghty footage of Noctis and co fighting hordes of enemies à la Duscae demo.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Anyone else a bit concerned over the camera for the game thus far? Like, I'm fine with everything else I've seen gameplay wise with FFXV, but I'm just a bit worried whether they'll nail the camera completely given how it was the biggest complaint in the Titan demo from places I've read based on hands-on impressions.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
I disagree, again going back to the point of this exchange (that really wasn't meant to be a huge debate in the first place) in that they clearly have their A game when it's the appropriate time for it, as evidenced by that KG trailer. While the trailer before it, the one they showed at E3, appears to be a bit of filler. Because they had the real trailer planned for after E3, but needed something to represent the movie. Just as I'm saying the Afrojack trailer was also filler because they weren't planning to drop the big trailer yet. You can disagree if you'd like, but I feel like that assumes incompetence beyond what one would reasonably expect from a major videogame publisher.

Like with gamescom last year, I just don't think they have the same level of respect for the events that some of the fans do. They have their own timetable
I don't want to beat this discussion to death, as it doesn't affect anything regardless of who is correct.

But, I do assume some incompetence in their marketing team, at times. You mentioned Gamescom and the Dawn Trailer. You have to remember that they hyped the shit out of that trailer. This was the 'beginning of XV's Marketing'. Let's not retcon that.

In a recent ATR (one that Mat and the other community guy hosted) they talked about how excited the team was about the Afrojack trailer, how they were constantly adding and removing things until they got it perfect. I don't think it's right to say that they put it out as filler because they're on their own timetable. It was an earnest attempt. They especially thought the Trial of Titan would do the talking, imo (should have been a huge deal)...but let's not get into that again.

It's kinda like PD. They come out with a trailer and hype it up (me and you know it's a tech demo), but it's just poor marketing and the plebs are disappointed.

I feel as if their Marketing team feels as if these things are gonna go down really well.
I'm sure their television ads will be better.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
Anyone else a bit concerned over the camera for the game thus far? Like, I'm fine with everything else I've seen gameplay wise with FFXV, but I'm just a bit worried whether they'll nail the camera completely given how it was the biggest complaint in the Titan demo from places I've read based on hands-on impressions.
In normal gameplay, not really.

It is a challenge when the enemy you're fighting is bigger than the screen and there's lots of other stuff happening around it.
It's probably a good thing that these concerns have been raised while there's still time to make adjustments.
There'll probably only be a handful of encounters, on this scale, so it shouldn't be too bad.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Dude, you are beating this discussion to death. As for you gamescom example, it was the fans that riled themselves up about it, not SE. And that's been my point since that day..

Not a retcon, mind you. That was my stance leading up to it and it was my stance when people were having a meltdown over it at the time. I was mildly disappointed that they didn't mention the release date, but I was only expecting it because every other thread was someone saying they bet the release date was coming and that gamescom was the biggest thing ever.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
Dude, you are beating this discussion to death. As for you gamescom example, it was the fans that riled themselves up about it, not SE. And that's been my point since that day..

Not a retcon, mind you. That was my stance leading up to it and it was my stance when people were having a meltdown over it at the time. I was mildly disappointed that they didn't mention the release date, but I was only expecting it because every other thread was someone saying they bet the release date was coming and that gamescom was the biggest thing ever.
You can't say that I'm beating an argument to death and then continue arguing your point :D. Either leave it or don't,

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
I was replying to you. There wasn't a post about it for hours, with several posts in between.
I was replying to you, in first instance.
Jesus, dude, it's on the same page and was posted about 4 hours ago.

I said I didn't want to beat the argument to death, and had my last word. This allowed you to have the final word.
You just ended up being rude, again.

I'm done posting, today. We still boys.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I was replying to you, in first instance.
Jesus, dude, it's on the same page and was posted about 4 hours ago.

I said I didn't want to beat the argument to death, and had my last word. This allowed you to have the final word.
You just ended up being rude, again.

I'm done posting, today. We still boys.
Yes, we still boys, lol.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Thank you! Another example of SE being very proud in Luminous Engine (as they fucking should be), I love reading through all this stuff.