Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
http://techraptor.net/content/pax-west-an-hour-with-final-fantasy-xv

"Cindy’s outfit made me curious about the character designs of the four heroes, and I took a closer look at Noctis and crew, who look like a Visual Kei band but are so proud of the way that they dress that they commented about it in a running dialog that sprang up later as I was out exploring."

lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/51lljj/mrhappy1227s_thoughts_on_the_pax_demo/

the summary is nice if you don't want to watch the video, but the guy is surprised by how much he liked since previous demos didn't do much for him.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2015
http://techraptor.net/content/pax-west-an-hour-with-final-fantasy-xv

"Cindy’s outfit made me curious about the character designs of the four heroes, and I took a closer look at Noctis and crew, who look like a Visual Kei band but are so proud of the way that they dress that they commented about it in a running dialog that sprang up later as I was out exploring."

lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/51lljj/mrhappy1227s_thoughts_on_the_pax_demo/

the summary is nice if you don't want to watch the video, but the guy is surprised by how much he liked since previous demos didn't do much for him.
That guy clearly doesn't know what visual kei is if that's what he thinks the 4 main characters look like.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
That guy clearly doesn't know what visual kei is if that's what he thinks the 4 main characters look like.
I feel like this one has never heard of the game, lol.

Which has its value, I'm not knocking the guy. I just can't help but chuckle a few times through it. If you're not already in on the concept, I can see some of it coming off as strange at first.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I just keep staring at this this morning. Damn that looks good.

The biggest difference, though, to me, is the more vibrant colors. And if I'm reading this HDR stuff correctly, that effect should be making its way to vanilla PS4's as well. I think this game may end up looking better than expected even on the base version as well because of it.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I think the biggest difference between Pro XV and vanilla XV might folliage density.
I meant more like the difference that jumps out the most, or that is making it look more impressive. I think if you took out half that foliage but kept the colors/lighting, it'd still look impressive.

TwoDotsO

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 30, 2016
I just keep staring at this this morning. Damn that looks good.

The biggest difference, though, to me, is the more vibrant colors. And if I'm reading this HDR stuff correctly, that effect should be making its way to vanilla PS4's as well. I think this game may end up looking better than expected even on the base version as well because of it.
It's important to not that HDR isn't a magic switch that will make the game automatically better looking. This is 100% dependent on two important factors:

1. The TV should be HDR compatible. Right now, the only TV's that are HDR compatible are certain 4K TV's. In fact, a lot if not most 4K TV's aren't even HDR compatible. So for most people who own normal full HD TV's, the HDR upgrade will mean 0 impact. It's not a case of slightly better with no HDR compatibility and much better with HDR compatibility. It's a case of either HDR or no HDR at all.
2. HDR is only available on HDMI 2.0 and the PS4 has HDMI 1.4. That means that Sony either needs to also have a firmware update that also upgrades the HDMI version (it's possible depending on the hardware) together with providing HDR, or the HDR version won't be the most optimal and best version of HDR. There's also some sort of lesser HDR version (I'm not too versed in all of this), which is still an upgrade but not as much as the ultimate potential.

So, to summarize: the HDR upgrade on older PS4's will probably have no effect for a vast majority of people. Obviously it's still a good thing to be future-proof.

TwoDotsO

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 30, 2016
OK, good to know. I hadn't heard of HDR until yesterday, so I'm still fuzzy on the whole thing. It did seem too good to be true.
It's been said about HDR that the upgrade from non-HDR to HDR gaming (or even movies) is at least as significant if not more significant than upping the resolution from 1080p to 4K. There's even studies regarding this subject, apparently.

So it's good to be excited about HDR, just as long as we're aware that we also going to need the proper TV in order to enjoy it.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
It's been said about HDR that the upgrade from non-HDR to HDR gaming (or even movies) is at least as significant if not more significant than upping the resolution from 1080p to 4K. There's even studies regarding this subject, apparently.

So it's good to be excited about HDR, just as long as we're aware that we also going to need the proper TV in order to enjoy it.
From what I'm hearing from people all over right now, the best option for a TV right now would be a 1080p OLED with HDR. Especially since it also looks like the PS4P enhancements to the effects on a 1080 screen sound more appealing to me than the higher resolution.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
From what I'm hearing from people all over right now, the best option for a TV right now would be a 1080p OLED with HDR. Especially since it also looks like the PS4P enhancements to the effects on a 1080 screen sound more appealing to me than the higher resolution.
I had an OLED Vita and the colour contrast on that was better than any monitor I've ever seen...then it diiieeedddddddd.:bawling:

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I spent hours and hours working on a patch for FFT on my hacked PSP a few years ago. One day, I was playing it until like 4am and I had to pee. I didn't want to stop playing, so I took it in there with me and tried to, er, multitask. I dropped the PSP right into the toilet, mid-stream. I peed on my hacked PSP. I killed my PSP with pee.

What I'm saying is, I feel your pain.

AtSwimTwoBirds

Clan Centurio Member
Jun 13, 2016
I spent hours and hours working on a patch for FFT on my hacked PSP a few years ago. One day, I was playing it until like 4am and I had to pee. I didn't want to stop playing, so I took it in there with me and tried to, er, multitask. I dropped the PSP right into the toilet, mid-stream. I peed on my hacked PSP. I killed my PSP with pee.

The PSPP.

Oct 19, 2013