The Generic FF News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Some screenshots from Famitsu (and again found through Neogaf): http://app.famitsu.com/20160101_627529/

There are quite a few more in the link.

It looks quite good, at least the 3D models (namely the one where they're performing the play: the characters look lovely there).

A shame about the low resolution backgrounds, I would kill for HD ones!
Wow, these look great. Did they improve the models a bit? I don't think they were this good in the original.

And I hope this and FF8 come to PS4 much quicker than FF7 port.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Wow, these look great. Did they improve the models a bit? I don't think they were this good in the original.

And I hope this and FF8 come to PS4 much quicker than FF7 port.
I'm guessing so and, iirc, the models you saw in the PSX version didn't, because of the console's capabilities, show all the actual work and care the models were made with. This is probably using the "good" models plus some touches here and there (they're more rounded and less spiky, as well as much cleaner: look at Zidane's shoulder, for instance).

The difference is pretty apparent even at first sight imho, at least when it comes to specific parts, such as Zidane's hair: in the new version, you can clearly see it's divided in clean strands, whereas in the original is a bit of a blurry mess (I think this one's running in an emulator):

VS.

Not a huge difference, but for a port (and not a remake) it's pretty nice. Shame about the backgrounds, they're pretty distracting compared to the 3D models (not too distracting, but enough to notice) and they are the best part of this game when it comes to its graphics and its art.

I haven't played the VII and VIII ones, though, so I don't know what the precedents are when it comes to S-E porting the old PC/PSX FFs to PC.

Last edited:

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
We just gotta accept this is probably the best we're gonna get when it comes to the PS1 FFs being ported. Would have been lovely for completely HD backgrounds, but understandable that they aren't. No encounters seems to be a confirmed option, so I'm sorted. Very happy.

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
Just popped up in my Twitter feed :
  • FINAL FANTASY IX IS COMING OUT FOR iOS, ANDROID AND PC.

(this is from GAF user Aarglefarg: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=190870934#post190870934).

Really, really didn't expect this, always kind of believed the "lost code" stuff.

Ohhh man, it's been years (since my PSP died, so about 4) since I last played this. It's, by far, my favourite FF AND game ever. A big part for that is nostalgia, yeah (it was the first FF I actually played; I had played VII when I was 6, so I didn't understand it very well lol), but I love basically everything about it.

Except for the battle speed, sure, but that seems to be fixed, hopefully.
My God. This news makes me really, really happy. I already have this game for PS1 both on digital and physical format, but I'm buying this version on day one.
Way to go, SE!

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Do think it's weird not to announce/make a PS4 port alongside it. Even if it's due to take longer than the PC version, just announce it to keep PS4 people happy. It's hard not to automatically go, "I hope it comes to PS4" since so many FF fans play on PS consoles. It'll probably happen, but then what about FF8? That would need an overhaul to run on PS4, too. Can imagine FF9 would come before 8 right now.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I might consider buying it if they speed up the battles, i swear i was about to drop the game at anytime because of that, the only thing preventing that from happening was that i was insterested in the plot.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I might consider buying it if they speed up the battles, i swear i was about to drop the game at anytime because of that, the only thing preventing that from happening was that i was insterested in the plot.
Well, the high speed option should fix that. Or, at least, it's a partial solution without redesigning things.

The cropping of the image to fit widescreen and what looks like worse backgrounds in some respects is really unfortunate, but shouldn't be too much of an issue to me.

Seeing the neglected child being brought back to the light fills my heart with warmth. IX is one of my all-time favourite games and is only second to Tactics in terms of story. This game does so many things that just work - characters, pacing, plot - all is pretty much what you'd imagine a "best of" Final Fantasy would be like.

Oct 19, 2013
Do think it's weird not to announce/make a PS4 port alongside it. Even if it's due to take longer than the PC version, just announce it to keep PS4 people happy. It's hard not to automatically go, "I hope it comes to PS4" since so many FF fans play on PS consoles. It'll probably happen, but then what about FF8? That would need an overhaul to run on PS4, too. Can imagine FF9 would come before 8 right now.
They probably want to announce FFVIII for PS4 first before FFIX.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Seeing the neglected child being brought back to the light fills my heart with warmth. IX is one of my all-time favourite games and is only second to Tactics in terms of story. This game does so many things that just work - characters, pacing, plot - all is pretty much what you'd imagine a "best of" Final Fantasy would be like.
Now you have me wanting a Tactics port...

They probably want to announce FFVIII for PS4 first before FFIX.
Perhaps, but I almost feel like FF8 is a special case; they haven't officially updated the MIDI music, which gives me an impression of neglect. Perhaps not announcing FF9 for PS4 means they do want to announce 8 for PS4 first, followed by FF9. But I'm not keen on the wait. Shoulda announced FF9 PS4 today and 8 PS4 a week or two ago.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Well, the high speed option should fix that. Or, at least, it's a partial solution without redesigning things.
Speed is too much x3 is too fast to do any real though in battles I notice, FFIX is just far too slow, they need to fix it, even on the fastest speed its too slow... Perhaps they can just tweak the values a bit.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
It could do with some fixes, but they didn't adjust anything to the bugs in FF7 port, so can't see them making any mechanic fixes in this. Setting the battles to Wait mode and abusing the open menus to ensure enemies get the least amount of extra attacks in works well, and the X3 speed will definitely be a big help on top of that during actions and waiting for bars to fill.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
By the second paragraph I was talking about IX. Tbh, from an emotional standpoint, IX is better than Tactics, but Tactics has a far greater amount of scope.
Oh, I know. You mentioning it made me think how much I'd love to see it released and given the same sort of treatment the other PS1 FFs have been getting. I'd pick it up on PS4.

Sep 26, 2013
Speed is too much x3 is too fast to do any real though in battles I notice, FFIX is just far too slow, they need to fix it, even on the fastest speed its too slow... Perhaps they can just tweak the values a bit.
Can you switch the ATB to "wait" in IX? I know you can in VII and that would really help by making both speedy battles and tactics available.

I wonder if with this option I could get Excalibur II without skipping content..

Status
Not open for further replies.