Dragon Quest XI announced for PS4 and 3DS

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
How come Dragon Quest's characters always look so bland compared to DBZ's and Chrono Trigger's? Is it the fantasy setting? I mean yeah, I imagine Toriyama is given a lot less free reign compared to Dragon Ball (his own creation), but wow.

Also wasn't there some other DS or 3DS game that did the whole "modern look on one screen, retro look on the other" thing? Or am I just crazy?
I don't think they look bland (although XI's hero, if correct, looks a bit boring). But yeah, I also think that they're not as imaginative, maybe, as other work Akira might have done. Dragon Ball (despite the sameface and all that and some weird stuff) has some neat designs, and Chrono Trigger's are lovely.

I think Dragon Quest has, in general, a lovely art design in terms of everything, but also when it comes to characters (especially enemies!) and even NPCs (although I wish we had a bit more variety when it comes to villagers and all that). VIII's four main characters is far for bland, I'd say, for example.

And yeah, I can't remember the name, but I swear I remember a game like that.

I think DQ's character designs look great. Consider that DQ has been aiming for a fairytale-esque approach with ideas of western low fantasy in it, whereas Chrono Trigger was trying to be a bit more on the side of a whacky rollercoaster ride of a shounen manga (which makes it fit in with Dragon Ball and to an extent, Blue Dragon), it looks more down-to-earth and attempts at least some amount of stylistic and tonal consistency while maintaining uniqueness. I mean, look at Ryan from DQ IV. He has a huge mustache and wears a salmon pink Roman armour - I'd consider this anything but bland.

May 26, 2014
I don't think they look bland (although XI's hero, if correct, looks a bit boring). But yeah, I also think that they're not as imaginative, maybe, as other work Akira might have done. Dragon Ball (despite the sameface and all that and some weird stuff) has some neat designs, and Chrono Trigger's are lovely.

I think Dragon Quest has, in general, a lovely art design in terms of everything, but also when it comes to characters (especially enemies!) and even NPCs (although I wish we had a bit more variety when it comes to villagers and all that). VIII's four main characters is far for bland, I'd say, for example.

And yeah, I can't remember the name, but I swear I remember a game like that.
The designs may come across as "less imaginative" (to both of us) than those of Toriyama's other works because they're most likely more structured/planned out/coherent (like @AnGer-dono mentioned). And of course Toriyama receives outside input about what/who these characters are supposed to be, as opposed to, say, Dragon Ball, where characters were all up to him and he basically just threw in whatever he wanted. And of course CT almost fits that same bill thanks to the multiple settings and whatnot, and it has the same sort of "Ok, throw everything in!" vibe (again, like Anger-dono mentioned). Dragon Quest's designs seem to lack that same sense of wackiness and fun.

Basically,
it looks more down-to-earth and attempts at least some amount of stylistic and tonal consistency while maintaining uniqueness.
is why I like it less. :) Though it's Toriyama, so I'm certainly not saying it's bad. It's just not what I expect/want from him.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
The designs may come across as "less imaginative" (to both of us) than those of Toriyama's other works because they're most likely more structured/planned out/coherent (like @AnGer-dono mentioned). And of course Toriyama receives outside input about what/who these characters are supposed to be, as opposed to, say, Dragon Ball, where characters were all up to him and he basically just threw in whatever he wanted. And of course CT almost fits that same bill thanks to the multiple settings and whatnot, and it has the same sort of "Ok, throw everything in!" vibe (again, like Anger-dono mentioned). Dragon Quest's designs seem to lack that same sense of wackiness and fun.
Yeah, I actually was going to add that, especially the part where this series is grounded in that certain style of very classical (outside of some elements) low fantasy. Which I actually love, the worlds are usually really charming. Oh, if only Enix had released the games in Europe when I was younger... (I used to really love medieval and fantasy settings. I still do, of course, but I've grown kinda tired of them).

And yeah, the 2D stuff is a bummer, although it makes sense, I guess (I mean, the differences between both screens was already shown to be considerably different). Still, it's great that this games is going to be released in three different styles. Fitting for a 30th anniversary game, for sure!

Some updates (wow, this thread hasn't gotten any attention in almost three years!):

1. Yuji Horii has announced the game will come to the west in 2018, though it has not been made clear which of the three versions this will entail. During the video, he mentions the game will be localized in "English and additional languages", which probably means a "Multi-5" translation, including also French, German, Italian and Spanish. (Source: Gamespot)

2. Last October, Horii revealed at UnrealFest Japan that the Switch version will be made using UE4. The reason for the delay of this version is that DQXI was originally developed using UE 4.13, however, Switch support wasn't available until 4.15 (released last February, according to the UE blog) and they are "hard at work" on this version (Source: Siliconera)

3. WSJ journalist and Japan correspondent Takashi Mochizuki tweeted that Square Enix has "no plans" regarding big titles for January through March, meaning the game won't come out until after April 01 2018.

Square Enix announced the release date for Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age today. The game will be released on PlayStation 4 and Steam on September 4, 2018. The game's western release will also come with some additional features:
  • English Voiceover
  • Draconian Quest, a hard mode that offers additional challenges for more experienced players.
  • Overhauled Menus & UI, with graphical enhancements and more intuitive navigation.
  • Camera Mode, allowing players to take in views of the beautiful landscape, character renders and ferocious monsters in detail.
  • A New Dash Function and many other system enhancements such as improved character and camera movement
However, the versions of the game set for Nintendo platforms are a different story. The 3DS version will not be localized at all and while Square Enix told IGN that the Switch version is also in the works for Europe and North America, it will be released "much later".

Sources:
Joe Skrebels for IGN: DRAGON QUEST 11: PS4 AND PC RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCED, SWITCH COMING 'MUCH LATER', NO 3DS VERSION (March 28, 2018)
Sal Romano for Gematsu:
Dragon Quest XI launches for PS4 and PC on September 4 in North America and Europe. (March 28, 2018)