FF15 on Conan's Clueless Gamer

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Comedy sketch or not, there are a lot of people that don't understand that these are satire, and considering how much they're riding on this game, it was a shit PR move.
Mainstream audience doesn't care about Final Fantasy's reputation. Advertising is more than just maintaining a public image, but is also about creating a relationship with would-be customers. Right now you're holding a skewed opinion that a satirical, negative impression of the game is more valuable than the term, 'Final Fantasy 15', being planted in everyone's heads.

Think of how Coca-Cola might continue to put out expensive advertisements, even when many people already buy Coca-Cola. Most people aren't going to run out to get one when they see an ad, but they could consider it when they walk into a store. "Oh yeah, they've released a new product, haven't they? Maybe I should see what it's all about." The fact that they are expensive advertisements also lend to credibility and brand loyalty, which is what FFXV being on Clueless Gamer is all about, in the end.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Although it's a comedy sketch, I think it reflects how people who are not into Final Fantasy react while watching this game. Make no mistake, things we take for granted in FF (or JRPGs in general) are strange to people that aren't familiar with said games. And I think it's a bit important to consider that, given how SE is pushing for the game to be marketed as something that can be played by people that haven't played FF before.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
I've seen some people complain about wedding dress scene, like chocobros wanted to see that dress, because they read about it in the newspaper, can anyone explain what so bad about? I just really don't understand.
Or its just another hyperbole?

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I've seen some people complain about wedding dress scene, like chocobros wanted to see that dress, because they read about it in the newspaper, can anyone explain what so bad about? I just really don't understand.
I dunno. I'm going to talk about it IMHO, because I had never seen the scene before, or even read about it. The scene just seemed a bit... weird?

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Gotta be honest, that complaint read as fragile masculinity to me. >_>; Like, "dresses are girly, so no real guy would care about one."

Though the lack of context given to Conan certainly didn't help. We know that Prompto is not traditionally masculine in a number of ways, so it's consistent with what we know of him for him to actually be interested. Noct, of course, is invested because it's his fiancée's dress. And Gladio seems like the type who'd go along for the ride just for the chance to rib Noct. But none of that is obvious if all you've played is a few out of context bits.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
For a lot of people who are on the fence with this game this may have swayed their opinion not to get it. Ive seen alot of youtube comments and neogaf posts saying the game is trash after watching this conan thing. Yes its a skit but it was too overly negative on the game instead of just making fun of it. Also people will get the wrong idea of what the game is. All in all I think think this was unnecessary and will have a negative effect.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
FFXV had a lot of pretty good coverage and positive previews on the last month or two, but they didn't get nearly the attention of mixed/negative reactions (be it comical or not).

i already noticed this pattern, on gamefaqs negative threads or news get tons of pages, in general more than the positive ones.

ppl are just looking for fire to begin the trashing, all the flies waiting their turn to confirm their personal bias, trolls waiting for an opportunity to bash... that's how it is unfortunately.

(the fact that square enix PR keeps giving fuel is sad too, ppl are very sensitive towards FF -haters more so considering their hyperbole).

Last edited:

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
Gotta be honest, that complaint read as fragile masculinity to me. >_>; Like, "dresses are girly, so no real guy would care about one."
Probably, its actually what i though. Dudebros are not thrilled that you have to go and watch at wedding dress, not manly enough for them, sadly.
What would happen if you show these people FF7 Сloud cross dress scene?

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Probably, its actually what i though. Dudebros are not thrilled that you have to go and watch at wedding dress, not manly enough for them, sadly.
I would pay movie ticket prices to see a segment where Conan had to play FFVII, honestly. xD

The Wall Market scene would have to be part of it, of course, but it'd also put some perspective on how even the franchise's biggest success would completely baffle someone in the mainstream non-gamer audience.

Can you imagine what he'd think about having to wait for ATB timers?

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I've heard of this guy before but never watched his content.

Didn't watch this video but I'm gonna guess he either make an overused and shitty "boyband" comment and says something boring and predictable about the characters hair?

Oh, and probably say something like "not very final for a game called Final Fantasy har, har har".

Last edited:

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
You're making assumptions about him making assumptions.
Im making assumption yes. It's the only thing I can do by not watching it and having watched other previews of the series being presented by people who are not familiar with it.
....Guess I'm also assuming he's not to familiar with the series.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Jesus guys, it's just a comedy sketch. Relax.

Perhaps out of context it just doesn't look like a normal scene? Also, FF7 cross dressing scene is legit one of the weirdest scenes in gaming ever. And we have the Metal Gear franchise.

TwoDotsO

Clan Centurio Member
Jul 30, 2016
The sketch was hilarious.

My wife has had it up to here with my FF fanboyism and XV talk and thinks it's the dumbest thing ever. I've showed her the sketch because the first thing Conan's impressions reminded me of was how my wife probably feels about the game.

She thought it was one of his better sketches because it was so relatable for her.

I think that the only people his impressions will deter from looking into the game are those who wouldn't be interested in the game in the first place. Not one gamer, whether they like these types of games or not, will look at a Conan sketch and think that his opinion is valuable to them. That's simply not something that happens.

In conclusion:
"Babies will not be born because of this game!"

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
I guessing my assumptions are correct and the preview was as predictable as I thought.
His main point is that he is saying the game is boring, he hammers that throughout the whole video. He says stuff like Why is this a game ,Tell me when something happens, This is an aggressive waste of our time,I don't know what we achieved ,I have no sense of satisfaction. Making the game look boring and as if nothing happens in it.

Last edited:

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
His main point is that he is saying the game is boring, he hammers that throughout the who review. He says stuff like Why is this a game ,Tell me when something happens, This is an aggressive waste of our time,I don't know what we achieved ,I have no sense of satisfaction. Making the game look boring and as if nothing happens in it.
Cool thanks for a non spoiler filled outline.

So it's seems the game is not for him/it's not his kind of game. Fair enough.