FFXV discussion thread [No Spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
I'm currently in chapter 3 with 8 hours.
And I just love this game already.
I'm playing FFXV with my older brother and even he who played only FF VIII (which is his favorite and mine too), X and III, he's enjoying the game by how beautiful the game is, the different characters, the cooking, photos and funny dialogs it has.
And he's a sceptical guy, but the game convinced him to play it and that's saying alot, at least to me.

So I think FF is back and it got definetly more new fans.
We are still in the beginning in the game, but I'm really excited about the Niflheim bases, Altissia, Cleigne, dungeons, Summons, Ring magic and more.
So much fun with this game. ^o^

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
One of the best things the game did from an emotional stand point for me was the use of the soundtrack Song of the Stars in one cutscene and the implementation of it in one of the major boss battle:
Go to the 4 minutes 11 seconds mark and hear how wonderfully they intertwine Song of The Stars into the song. And to top it off, they end it with the implementing the classic Final Fantasy prelude theme :3
How do you beat that for a boss battle theme?! Okay maybe mix in Somus in there somehow then I might have absolutely lost my mind xD

They did the same thing here was well:
at the 1 minute 53 mark. Too bad the
fight story wise was lame

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
damn, i want the royal raiment ;(
Best outfit in the game no doubt.

Massive HP and MP stat boost with the jacket and infinite stamina and another stat boost without the jacket.

He looks very Japanese and Yakuza like wearing the outfit.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I feel like I'm the only one on the 'net that liked Chapter 13:

Now, I understand that people may not like the aspect where you basically end up starting the chapter with nothing and have to procure your own equipment, but that was completely necessary both thematically and for gameplay reasons, and I thought it was done perfectly. Especially considering it's also your introduction to the ring. I feel like people were expecting it to be a short gimmick, but it ended up being a fully fleshed out dungeon. I really didn't see a problem with it at all.

The gameplay reasons is that this is an open world game and you can end up there at level 99 with all the highest grade equipment you can get, or you can show up there at level 25 with basic stuff, and this keeps that dungeon interesting no matter what. Something other FF games lacked, frankly, as the final dungeons would often feel like walking through a newbie zone by the time you're doing doing sidequests and getting beefed up.
I wouldn't say I liked Chapter 13, but I respected it for what it was trying to be.

Like, the impression I got was that it was trying to be aggressively unpleasant in order to make you-as-player feel the way Noct's feeling. Dungeons in FFXV are creepy enough as is, but Ch. 13 goes full horror, what with the MT corpses, jump-scares, and heavy cost for using weapons. I wanted out of there so badly, but I also kind of feel like that was the point. XD;

I will give Ch. 13 one thing, though -- once you get your full arsenal back, there are some really cool bosses. The Iedolas Daemon was a real eye-opener in terms of lore (it made me think back to that poor Naga asking about her baby D= ), and the appearance of the disgusting reanimated corpse of Ravus totally shocked me. (I'm like 99% sure that that fight was a holdover from a fight with a Cie'th version of Ravus in the Versus scenario, but the way it turned out in XV was so much grosser than that likely would have been. Daemon Ravus is like a refugee from Death Stranding or something. o_0 )

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
It's easier to give the spoiler free impressions first. It'll give me the to collect my thoughts before I write you all a goddamn thesis tomorrow.

My first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy II, as it was once called, for the SNES. Far enough back to feel obligated to point out that I know that it was really VI in Japan because there was a time when people legitimately didn't kniw. My father played it and we watched as a family. We rented it and my father gave me the option to buy it for us if we wanted to play. I was being polite, so I said nah, it was all good. But that night, I couldn't get it out of my head. It was the music, mostly, but also the story. That night, I regretted saying no so badly, I cried myself to sleep. I loved the game, and I needed to play it for myself.

Since then, it's the only series I ever got on day one, every time. And every time, gobbled up whatever I could about them before release.

And every time, except for VI, I fucking hated it at first, lol. Every time. It's a side effect of this thing you've been waiting for and anticipating for what feels like forever suddenly becoming realized. It's not hate, that's the wrong word. It's like the game is my baby that I'm pregnant with during the development period, and when it's "born", I suffer from postpartum depression. If that makes any sense.

But anyway, since I know this happens, I did what no man on the internet has ever boldly done, and instead of bitching about everything, I shut the fuck up and waited until it all clicked instead. Ok, maybe not totally shut up, lol. But, for me... I think world wide, I've got like 15,000 posts about this game since Episode Duscae. This is me shutting up, lol.

But, they always do click. Warts and all, this game is one if my babies, and there's beauty in every one of them if you're not a total dickhole on the inside. That's why everyone argues about them all the damn time. People are finding beauty in different things, and we feel a personal connection to our favorites.

But, that beauty, and those moments that moved you, that's what the definition of Final Fantasy to me. Each one of them has moments that resonate with me in a certain way that hits a certain note. That's the common factor, and that's what makes a game a Final Fantasy game.

This game is no exception, to any of this. The ending is great and I'll go into it more in the spoiler forum tomorrow instead of working. But I will say this: This game may sound like it's a different tune at first, but it hits those notes. What it does right, it dues very, very right. It was overall one if the most beautiful games over ever played, and the ending was totally fitting and satisfying. And there's officially a new member of the family.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
btw,

http://gematsu.com/2010/08/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-all-the-details-so-far

"The only and most important adornment Noctis will use is a ring on his right hand and it’ll play a central role in the story of the game (the gloves are there for design purposes)."
I kind of suspect that the core concept of the ending -- Noct has to use the power of the ring and the crystal to renew the world at the cost of his life -- was taken wholesale from the Versus concept, even if the names of the relevant deities have changed in the meantime. Nomura's been trying to fit a "Chosen One remakes the world" narrative for a decade and a half (see: Kingdom Hearts), and I don't think it's any coincidence that FFXV features that kind of ending when his hands were all over the conceptual phase.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I wouldn't say I liked Chapter 13, but I respected it for what it was trying to be.

Like, the impression I got was that it was trying to be aggressively unpleasant in order to make you-as-player feel the way Noct's feeling. Dungeons in FFXV are creepy enough as is, but Ch. 13 goes full horror, what with the MT corpses, jump-scares, and heavy cost for using weapons. I wanted out of there so badly, but I also kind of feel like that was the point. XD;

I will give Ch. 13 one thing, though -- once you get your full arsenal back, there are some really cool bosses. The Iedolas Daemon was a real eye-opener in terms of lore (it made me think back to that poor Naga asking about her baby D= ), and the appearance of the disgusting reanimated corpse of Ravus totally shocked me. (I'm like 99% sure that that fight was a holdover from a fight with a Cie'th version of Ravus in the Versus scenario, but the way it turned out in XV was so much grosser than that likely would have been. Daemon Ravus is like a refugee from Death Stranding or something. o_0 )
I get what you're trying to say, but I don't mean it like that at all. I genuinely enjoyed the chapter. I thought it was one of the highlights of the game, but perhaps went in a little too long in the middle. At no point was I desperate for it to end. I was having fun blowing things up and I didn't forget I had a ton of ethers and elixirs, so I didn't feel like I had to wait for resources. I legitimately was having fun, thinking I was in chapter 12, mentally Prepared for what was to come based on the impressions I read, until I realized I was already there.

I liked the atmosphere. I liked the gameplay, I liked the story. I enjoyed that chapter. It's not some convoluted justification for something, I think some people just want things to be their way, and I'm more interesting in letting someone tell me their story, so I liked it and some others hated it, I guess. I kind of get it, I just don't get it. If I hadn't read so much hubaloo over it, I'd have thought it feelings on that chapter would be largely neutral to positive.

Omegataco

PSICOM Soldier
Apr 1, 2016
One of the best things the game did from an emotional stand point for me was the use of the soundtrack Song of the Stars in one cutscene and the implementation of it in one of the major boss battle:
Go to the 4 minutes 11 seconds mark and hear how wonderfully they intertwine Song of The Stars into the song. And to top it off, they end it with the implementing the classic Final Fantasy prelude theme :3
How do you beat that for a boss battle theme?! Okay maybe mix in Somus in there somehow then I might have absolutely lost my mind xD
I've been listening to this entire song like off and on and I think it is legitimately my favorite boss theme in the entire series. Not only is the arrangement and composition of the song amazing, but I love how the song just evolves throughout the fight, where it starts off with that really awesome and sinister tone but then slowly evolves and just explodes into this super heroic-sounding melody as you draw closer and closer to succeeding in the battle. And the icing on the cake is that beautiful transition at the end with the sprinkle of the prelude at the end serving as the perfect conclusion to it.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
I get what you're trying to say, but I don't mean it like that at all. I genuinely enjoyed the chapter. I thought it was one of the highlights of the game, but perhaps went in a little too long in the middle. At no point was I desperate for it to end. I was having fun blowing things up and I didn't forget I had a ton of ethers and elixirs, so I didn't feel like I had to wait for resources. I legitimately was having fun, thinking I was in chapter 12, mentally Prepared for what was to come based on the impressions I read, until I realized I was already there.

I liked the atmosphere. I liked the gameplay, I liked the story. I enjoyed that chapter. It's not some convoluted justification for something, I think some people just want things to be their way, and I'm more interesting in letting someone tell me their story, so I liked it and some others hated it, I guess. I kind of get it, I just don't get it. If I hadn't read so much hubaloo over it, I'd have thought it feelings on that chapter would be largely neutral to positive.
Heh, not intending to imply that it's not impossible to enjoy for its own sake, just putting in my own two cents.

...it's probably worth pointing out that I almost always feel strapped for consumables even when I have plenty, and I didn't go in with any preparation beyond the amount I'd saved up over the course of normal gameplay, which probably influenced my desire to get out of there. XD;

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
my auto-crossbow shot a lot of bolts and i don't know how i've done it; i thought the only attack was the charge shot lol

that was sick

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Does anyone know exactly what the Travel Pack, Angler Kit, Gourmand Set, and Camera Kit does?

Can't say I've noticed anything too substantial even after adding these to the game.

Only thing is did notice is everything in the game is half price for me.

Eg/ Galdin Quay hotel is $5K instead of $10K. Refuelling is $5 instead of $10. I get lots of discounts.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
it's on the greatswords tab, it was there as soon as i installed the code.
I know, but it isn't there :/ I'll check it out later, because yesterday it was nowhere to be found despite the code being accepted and being correctly downloaded and installed (before booting the game up for the first time, even).
Mine showed up automatically but I had the digital deluxe version. If you can't get it to work, though, it's really no big deal. It's nice in the early game, but it'll get replaced quickly.
Yeah, not too worried about that, considering it's just an early weapon. I'm also not a big fan of it being so heavy (although I sure as hell would have used it a lot, as broadswords are my main weapon right now).

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
I know, but it isn't there :/ I'll check it out later, because yesterday it was nowhere to be found despite the code being accepted and being correctly downloaded and installed (before booting the game up for the first time, even).

Yeah, not too worried about that, considering it's just an early weapon. I'm also not a big fan of it being so heavy (although I sure as hell would have used it a lot, as broadswords are my main weapon right now).
If you're anything like me, that'll change. ;) I used them for beatdowns of vulnerable enemies. (Looking at you, "baby.") I ended up playing a counter-attacking strategy, with Ignis' Regroup ability when I needed to soften up a mob with magic.

I'm constantly amazed by the strategy needed for some of the hunts and optional dungeons, even those at lower recommended levels.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Does anyone know exactly what the Travel Pack, Angler Kit, Gourmand Set, and Camera Kit does?

Can't say I've noticed anything too substantial even after adding these to the game.

Eg/ Galdin Quay hotel is $5K instead of $10K. Refuelling is $5 instead of $10. I get lots of discounts.
Travel Pack cuts in half the cost of hotels/lodgings and gas

Gourmand Set gives you one unlimited and OP recipe

Camera Kit adds another camera model that you can equip on the Archives menu

Last edited:

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over

Invaluable for the 3.0x EXP multiplier for the most expensive hotel in the game.