FFXV discussion thread [No Spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
I'm really tempted to do the Exp-Magic trick, but does that ruin some of the pacing of the game? Like, do all the fights become way too easy, or does it just alleviate some of the time taken to defeat random mobs?
i didn't overleved much but the bosses felt easier.

if you want to mantain the challenge, stick to the recommended level OR use low-level gear.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I'm really tempted to do the Exp-Magic trick, but does that ruin some of the pacing of the game? Like, do all the fights become way too easy, or does it just alleviate some of the time taken to defeat random mobs?
From what I experienced sometimes levels don't mean much, especially when it comes to high level bosses.

No matter how high level you are, some enemies continue to hit like trucks and you're gonna need to use potions.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I have to say FFXV fishing game is the best mini fishing game a played since Breath of Fire 3's mini fishing game .
Yeah the fishing in this game is the best I've played.

Shits fantastic! I like how it's not as simple as pressing one button but you need to rely on your reflexes and concentrate.

Guitar (pseudo)God

Blitzball Champion
Aug 14, 2016
All over
From what I experienced sometimes levels don't mean much, especially when it comes to high level bosses.

No matter how high level you are, some enemies continue to hit like trucks and you're gonna need to use potions.
This.
Word of warning re: Costlemark Tower. Skip over to Wiz's and have a shake. And have a ton of ice magic. Otherwise you'll meet the same fate as my Lv. 60+ party & Noctis' 12 Royal Arms.

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
Cor was so disappointing. Like there was alot of things that annoying me about how he was used in the story but the one that gets me frustrated the most:

So you are leaving for Altissia and you see Cor waiting just before you get ready to go:

Cor - "I feelz proper bad I couldn't be there for the king to protect him"

Noct - "aah fugeda bout it. So ooooo....you coming with?

Cor - "man, I cant believe I couldn't keep my oath and protect him!"

Noct - "hey come on now, it's all water under the bridge mate. And we'll I'm the king now, so you can carry on your duty....by protecting me....right?

Cor - "I feel so ashamed!

Noct - "Cor, bro? Are you listening? We got plenty of room on the boat. Right guys?"

Cor - "if only I had stuck by the king side..."

Noct - "I'M THE FUCKING KING NOW, YOU CAN STICK BY ME YOU DUMB FUCK!"....Screw it....damn plot holes!"

1 0 0 0

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Finally finished the game after 60+ hours (getting sidetracked is my specialty)

Game play wise it was amazing, combat felt responsive and fresh with every new encounter being a new challenge and not a chore. Exploring the world in car, chocobo or foot was amazing, the world really felt alive, thanks in part to the party members interactions and beauty of the graphics. its a shame that only one major area was explorable whilst the others seemed more like pit stops teasing a larger world.

The story and execution of it was ok at best, the pacing was odd but it got its points across in the end. many emotional highs and lows seemed to lack great impact since the story was very sparse at times with many characters outside of the main party feeling more like props then fully fleshed out people. its a shame that the stroy was split between the game, kingsglaive and brotherhood rather then being a single product.

though the story and all isnt as bad as i make it out to be, im only this critical because of following this games, developments, ideas and story elements all these years and seeing the final product miss the mark on alot of places from its original concepts

this game was a good but it could have been so much more

(a bit of rambling haha but id be happy to discuss and clarify anything that was said)

:cactuar:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016

Game play wise it was amazing, combat felt responsive and fresh with every new encounter being a new challenge and not a chore. Exploring the world in car, chocobo or foot was amazing, the world really felt alive, thanks in part to the party members interactions and beauty of the graphics. its a shame that only one major area was explorable whilst the others seemed more like pit stops teasing a larger world.

The story and execution of it was ok at best, the pacing was odd but it got its points across in the end. many emotional highs and lows seemed to lack great impact since the story was very sparse at times with many characters outside of the main party feeling more like props then fully fleshed out people. its a shame that the stroy was split between the game, kingsglaive and brotherhood rather then being a single product.

though the story and all isnt as bad as i make it out to be, im only this critical because of following this games, developments, ideas and story elements all these years and seeing the final product miss the mark on alot of places from its original concepts

(a bit of rambling haha but id be happy to discuss and clarify anything that was said)

You've pretty much summed it up well tbh. That's how most people view the game.

Out of all the ff games, the concept and basis for this one is my fav thus far. I remember back to the first versus trailer and I was instantly intrigued and excited to how the game would be like.

If they patch the story correctly and make it epic, then it's going to be in my top 3 games no doubt.

1 0 0 0

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
You've pretty much summed it up well tbh. That's how most people view the game.

Out of all the ff games, the concept and basis for this one is my fav thus far. I remember back to the first versus trailer and I was instantly intrigued and excited to how the game would be like.

If they patch the story correctly and make it epic, then it's going to be in my top 3 games no doubt.
Those versus trailers give me life haha but of course they were just trailer .

i must say the 2013 re-reveal stuck with me the most and re ignited my intrigue for the game.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net

This sums up a lot of my feelings too, honestly. I don't really care for the fixation with Versus the fanbase generally has (gotta let go) but what's clear is that even taken on its own within a vacuum FF15 lacks in those areas. It's a shame. Core ideas are strong though, as you say.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Those versus trailers give me life haha but of course they were just trailer .

i must say the 2013 re-reveal stuck with me the most and re ignited my intrigue for the game.
Yeah the re-reveal was so exciting. I thought to myself "Wait... they're actually going to make this game after all? Nice!"

I'm just glad I got to play it after all these years and it was so much fun.

I've never been the demanding type and usually am happy with what I get but since Square offered to patch the story, I can't stress enough how they should take their time and include everything that needs to be in there this time around.

They've got an amazing dev team so without a definite deadline looming over their heads, perhaps this is a good time for them to go all out on what to include and create?

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I mean, I can't say I'm too far (about to leave for Altissia), but I can see myself feeling like that at the end of the game, considering all I've played.

Spoilers for Chapter 5 and 6:
Oh, not my man Jared :(

I get what they're trying to do, but it was so awkwardly and poorly done that I found it laughable. I know this guy is some sort of butler and has ties to the Amicitia family, but I can't help but feel that the writers of the game wanted me to feel angered and fired up to avenge his death when in reality I'm quite indifferent: you don't get to interact with him beyond some very short and lacking in content scenes. I liked what I saw of him, and an affable old man's death is always sad, but well...

Which is why I find hilarious that his death is given almost as much of an emotional punch than Regis'. And much, much, much more than Clarus'! I mean, you only get to (briefly) see the guy in that, again, awkward cutscene sequence from KG (if I hadn't seen the movie, I wouldn't really know who he is until later, and even then...) and the only mention he gets (so far) is yet another awkward exchange between Noctis and Gladio. He (or Iris, especially her) doesn't even seem to care too much about his father's passing, which is incredibly weird.

I understand that the Amicitia family has one priority over all, which is protecting the Royal Family (shown as Gladio says about his old man only doing his job). But it still doesn't feel right at all. Maybe I'm alone when it comes to this.

And the Lestallum invasion could have been done much better even if it was still off-screen. There's no sense of urgency whatsoever.

Another weird scene was Ravus meeting the guys (btw, haven't met Aranea yet; is it later?). The whole Ardyn thing is so bizarre: I get what they're going for (and really enjoy the character), but it still feels half-cooked and unimportant when, in reality, being casually helped by the guy in charge of betraying your father (directing him to his death), persecuting you with an army of robots and conquering your country should be far from normal: it's just... there.

EDIT: Oh, and that weird dream sequence: the music didn't really suit the Omen sequence at all. Let's see if this thing has some sort of relevance in the future.
Gameplay-wise, with some shortcomings (some of them akin to its open-world nature), the game feels great. It's just that the story deparment leaves a lot to be desired, even without accounting any possible hype or expectation that you might have had for Versus or Nomura's XV. And it's a shame, because the story beats actually hold a lot of promise, and so do most characters (one thing they nailed is the four main guys' relationship).

PS: can't stop stressing how beautiful the open world can get in Duscae and Cleigne: it actually feels like a real place, with the roads, cars, landmarks, forests and the city (I wish they had added at least a few of them, but alas).

The weather effects add a lot, and the lighting is great (last night I had a pretty chill moment when I was driving to Lestallum and moved the camera towards a forested mountain, with the dwindling sunlight passing through the leaves and branches in a very realistic way).

Last edited:

wmlk

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 5, 2014
Jim Sterling:

For those wondering why I'm more defensive of Square Enix's decision here as opposed to my criticism of Battlefront and Street Fighter V:

Final Fantasy XV has a ton of content. A TON of content. They didn't produce a shell of a game, they have enough shit in there to last you weeks.

The major problem with XV is creative rather than mechanical, which I think can be more easily forgiven due to the subjectivity of narrative. You can objectively look at the missing features of Battlefront and say "These features are not here."

Saying "the story in FF XV isn't good" is a matter of taste. I happened to enjoy the story as-is, even though it was also very frustrating in places.

This isn't so much a case of Square Enix deliberately releasing a bare-bones product and plugging in the important features later. Yes, the latter half of the game is rushed and it absolutely deserves criticism for that, but it's not like FFXV as a product was threadbare.

A lot of Early AAAccess games need to produce free content to be worth the MSRP. I'd argue FFXV does enough already to be worth its asking price, which is why I find them going back to add things more laudable - with caveats, of course.

He sums up exactly why I think the freaking out about Tabata's two month delay and their promise of future patches is miguided. The game is very solid as is. A lot of the stuff in the roadmap is actually gameplay related (which is already ace from what I've played so far), which people aren't focusing on at all. There wouldn't be an uproar if they remained silent.

EDIT: He's got a video that's more thorough

Last edited:

AverageAfro

PSICOM Soldier
Aug 3, 2016
Exactly. There aint nothing wrong with the game as it is. Yes there are some narrative issues, but we can sum up that's because they were tight against their deadlines, the fact that they're going to add more story and mechanics in as DLC is a testament to how much they want to add to this game and it's form.

Paperchampion23

Warrior of Light
Oct 1, 2016
Exactly. There aint nothing wrong with the game as it is. Yes there are some narrative issues, but we can sum up that's because they were tight against their deadlines, the fact that they're going to add more story and mechanics in as DLC is a testament to how much they want to add to this game and it's form.
The fact that they are adding more story and mechanics as free patches also does as well :p

ChingleeTribal

SOLDIER, First Class
Mar 27, 2016
I mean, I can't say I'm too far (about to leave for Altissia), but I can see myself feeling like that at the end of the game, considering all I've played.

Spoilers for Chapter 5 and 6:
Oh, not my man Jared :(

I get what they're trying to do, but it was so awkwardly and poorly done that I found it laughable. I know this guy is some sort of butler and has ties to the Amicitia family, but I can't help but feel that the writers of the game wanted me to feel angered and fired up to avenge his death when in reality I'm quite indifferent: you don't get to interact with him beyond some very short and lacking in content scenes. I liked what I saw of him, and an affable old man's death is always sad, but well...

Which is why I find hilarious that his death is given almost as much of an emotional punch than Regis'. And much, much, much more than Clarus'! I mean, you only get to (briefly) see the guy in that, again, awkward cutscene sequence from KG (if I hadn't seen the movie, I wouldn't really know who he is until later, and even then...) and the only mention he gets (so far) is yet another awkward exchange between Noctis and Gladio. He (or Iris, especially her) doesn't even seem to care too much about his father's passing, which is incredibly weird.

I understand that the Amicitia family has one priority over all, which is protecting the Royal Family (shown as Gladio says about his old man only doing his job). But it still doesn't feel right at all. Maybe I'm alone when it comes to this.

And the Lestallum invasion could have been done much better even if it was still off-screen. There's no sense of urgency whatsoever.

Another weird scene was Ravus meeting the guys (btw, haven't met Aranea yet; is it later?). The whole Ardyn thing is so bizarre: I get what they're going for (and really enjoy the character), but it still feels half-cooked and unimportant when, in reality, being casually helped by the guy in charge of betraying your father (directing him to his death), persecuting you with an army of robots and conquering your country should be far from normal: it's just... there.

EDIT: Oh, and that weird dream sequence: the music didn't really suit the Omen sequence at all. Let's see if this thing has some sort of relevance in the future.
Gameplay-wise, with some shortcomings (some of them akin to its open-world nature), the game feels great. It's just that the story deparment leaves a lot to be desired, even without accounting any possible hype or expectation that you might have had for Versus or Nomura's XV. And it's a shame, because the story beats actually hold a lot of promise, and so do most characters (one thing they nailed is the four main guys' relationship).

PS: can't stop stressing how beautiful the open world can get in Duscae and Cleigne: it actually feels like a real place, with the roads, cars, landmarks, forests and the city (I wish they had added at least a few of them, but alas).

The weather effects add a lot, and the lighting is great (last night I had a pretty chill moment when I was driving to Lestallum and moved the camera towards a forested mountain, with the dwindling sunlight passing through the leaves and branches in a very realistic way).